Geocaching Labs: Mega-Event Caches

Another 999 geocachers logged new Lab caches last Sunday. :) They are great overall but what they lack is a solid GPX file format describing them. As they are now they are really difficult to handle in any statistics making tool. In fact even the built-in statistics tab on our geocaching.com profiles ignores them, so what to say about third-party applications?...

Another 999 geocachers logged new Lab caches last Sunday. :) They are great overall but what they lack is a solid GPX file format describing them. As they are now they are really difficult to handle in any statistics making tool. In fact even the built-in statistics tab on our geocaching.com profiles ignores them, so what to say about third-party applications?...

You can load these caches into GSAK, there should be a button on the lab cache page allowing you to export it there like any cache. Many of the fields will fill in, some you may have to choose yourself. You can always create the waypoint manually too. The big drawback as far as stats go as the GSAK guy will not create a Lab icon until these caches load in the Finds File so you would have to choose an icon of your choosing. I have chosen "other" myself.

Personally when I have them in GSAK, I lock them into place too so they do not get edited afterwards somehow.

Greetings everyone! These are not your typical release notes. Read on to find out why.

In the past we've perhaps been a bit hasty in introducing new concepts, sometimes investing heavily in new development without first validating the concept with the community. In an effort to introduce new concepts purposefully and in a more limited, controlled fashion, we have cooked up something new. I present to you: Geocaching Labs.

We worked up a list of anticipated FAQ's to help explain what a Lab Cache is. We welcome further questions to help flesh out this list.

What is Geocaching Labs?

This is our R&D department. This team always working to create new and innovative ideas to make geocaching more fun and exciting.

What is a Lab Cache?

Lab Caches are a new and rare geocache type. Anytime you find something that’s being tested by Geocaching Labs, it will count as a Lab Cache.

Does this count as a find?

Absolutely! For every Lab Cache you find, you’ll earn a smiley and your find count will go up. However, since these aren’t full-fledged geocaches, they won’t earn you souvenirs (including for the 31 Days of Geocaching) or count toward earning Favorite Points.

If the Lab Cache goes away, will my find go away as well?

Nope! With this new geocache type, all of your Lab Cache finds will stay on your profile.

How can I get the Lab Cache icon on my profile?

Right now the only way to obtain a Lab Cache icon for your Geocaching profile is to attend a Mega-Event where a Lab Cache is being offered. So far that’s only Block Party, but we are aiming to extend them to other Mega-Events soon.

Can I leave feedback?

Of course! That’s why we’re testing them. Shortly after Block Party, we’ll send a survey to everyone who found a Lab Cache. If you have other feedback, feel free to post it in the forums.

I’m a Mega-Event owner and I want Lab Caches at my event!

Awesome! Visit Geocaching.com/help and send us a message under the category “Hiding a Geocache” to express interest. As we expand Lab Caches, we’ll contact you if your event matches what we’re looking for.

Why were these Lab Caches created?

This Lab Cache was developed to solve the problem of event-specific geocaches. Mega-Events often require new geocaches to be hidden, but since temporary geocaches are not allowed, the placed geocaches often end up neglected after the event. These new geocaches enable Mega-Events to have their own, temporary geocaches.

How does this Lab Cache work?

These mostly work the same as regular geocaches: navigate to the location, find the cache and sign the logbook. However, these differ in that you must use the find code in order to mark the geocache as found.

Are these Virtuals?

No, each of these Lab Caches has a log book, just like any other geocache.

Are these Challenges?

No, you don’t have to do anything special to mark it as found.

Do I need to download an app to play?

Nope! We developed a special web app that can be accessed from any smartphone. We also have GPX files for download, as well as good old-fashioned, printed-on-paper coordinates.

Over the next year, we'll be rolling Lab Caches out to select Mega Events around the world, gathering feedback from event hosts and attendees alike. Let us know your thoughts!

Hoping this new logging feature goes production!

Is this true???

I hope not. It goes against everything I have ever believed about geocaching. The idea that I can create a cache that only my friends can find and log is just plain stupid. Heck, I don't even have to actually create the cache. How many will create phantom Lab caches just so their friend, and themselves can stack up numbers? Is this really what geocaching has become.

Is this true???

I hope not. It goes against everything I have ever believed about geocaching. The idea that I can create a cache that only my friends can find and log is just plain stupid. Heck, I don't even have to actually create the cache. How many will create phantom Lab caches just so their friend, and themselves can stack up numbers? Is this really what geocaching has become.

Hardly a number stacking device where a PMO member can create a whopping 1 lab cache. Given folks do 800 to 1000 caches in a day in a power trail, I hardly see one lab cache per PMO as inflating numbers that much compared to everything else out there.

Is this true???

Hardly a number stacking device where a PMO member can create a whopping 1 lab cache. Given folks do 800 to 1000 caches in a day in a power trail, I hardly see one lab cache per PMO as inflating numbers that much compared to everything else out there.

I missed the part about one cache, probably because I couldn't make it all the through that Youtube video. I still don't like it. Temporary and private caches on the website just dosen't seem right to me.

Where can I find a list of lab caches which will appear in 2014?

This site has a list of Mega events with lab caches for 2014.

Lab Caches

Thanks for the list.

Why is there no lab cache in Germany???

In my opinion, the planned Mega events MegaPhone III near Magdeburg and Mega4Kingz in Dessau-Roßlau would be good places for experiments in the lab.

http://www.mega-phone3.de/

http://www.lostplaces4thekingz.de/wp/

Have a nice day!

In my opinion, the planned Mega events MegaPhone III near Magdeburg and Mega4Kingz in Dessau-Roßlau would be good places for experiments in the lab.

Are these events already certified with Mega Event status, like Geocoinfest Europe in Ulm or Project Munich2014? Or are they just "planned" (hope to become Mega-Events in the future)? I don't see any published Mega-Events around either of the cities you mentioned.

Geocaching Adventures can be set up by the organizers of any published Mega Event. If you see a published Mega Event that is not promoting Lab Caches as part of the available activities, consider writing to the organizers and encouraging them to look into this option.

Greetings everyone! These are not your typical release notes. Read on to find out why.

In the past we've perhaps been a bit hasty in introducing new concepts, sometimes investing heavily in new development without first validating the concept with the community. In an effort to introduce new concepts purposefully and in a more limited, controlled fashion, we have cooked up something new. I present to you: Geocaching Labs.

We worked up a list of anticipated FAQ's to help explain what a Lab Cache is. We welcome further questions to help flesh out this list.

What is Geocaching Labs?

This is our R&D department. This team always working to create new and innovative ideas to make geocaching more fun and exciting.

What is a Lab Cache?

Lab Caches are a new and rare geocache type. Anytime you find something that’s being tested by Geocaching Labs, it will count as a Lab Cache.

Does this count as a find?

Absolutely! For every Lab Cache you find, you’ll earn a smiley and your find count will go up. However, since these aren’t full-fledged geocaches, they won’t earn you souvenirs (including for the 31 Days of Geocaching) or count toward earning Favorite Points.

If the Lab Cache goes away, will my find go away as well?

Nope! With this new geocache type, all of your Lab Cache finds will stay on your profile.

How can I get the Lab Cache icon on my profile?

Right now the only way to obtain a Lab Cache icon for your Geocaching profile is to attend a Mega-Event where a Lab Cache is being offered. So far that’s only Block Party, but we are aiming to extend them to other Mega-Events soon.

Can I leave feedback?

Of course! That’s why we’re testing them. Shortly after Block Party, we’ll send a survey to everyone who found a Lab Cache. If you have other feedback, feel free to post it in the forums.

I’m a Mega-Event owner and I want Lab Caches at my event!

Awesome! Visit Geocaching.com/help and send us a message under the category “Hiding a Geocache” to express interest. As we expand Lab Caches, we’ll contact you if your event matches what we’re looking for.

Why were these Lab Caches created?

This Lab Cache was developed to solve the problem of event-specific geocaches. Mega-Events often require new geocaches to be hidden, but since temporary geocaches are not allowed, the placed geocaches often end up neglected after the event. These new geocaches enable Mega-Events to have their own, temporary geocaches.

How does this Lab Cache work?

These mostly work the same as regular geocaches: navigate to the location, find the cache and sign the logbook. However, these differ in that you must use the find code in order to mark the geocache as found.

Are these Virtuals?

No, each of these Lab Caches has a log book, just like any other geocache.

Are these Challenges?

No, you don’t have to do anything special to mark it as found.

Do I need to download an app to play?

Nope! We developed a special web app that can be accessed from any smartphone. We also have GPX files for download, as well as good old-fashioned, printed-on-paper coordinates.

Over the next year, we'll be rolling Lab Caches out to select Mega Events around the world, gathering feedback from event hosts and attendees alike. Let us know your thoughts!

where do I go to make my lab cache????

Are these events already certified with Mega Event status, like Geocoinfest Europe in Ulm or Project Munich2014? Or are they just "planned" (hope to become Mega-Events in the future)? I don't see any published Mega-Events around either of the cities you mentioned.

How can one find out?

Mega Phone has been a Mega twice before:

http://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GC2QWKD_mega-phone

http://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GC2QWKF_mega-phone-ii

Question:

Can I make a lab-cache in february, for example, for an anniversary or a special occasion? And that person get's to log the cache in another month? Not just february?

Good question! The I <3 Geocaching Lab Caches will expire at midnight (your local time) on February 28th. This means that if you want to participate by creating a Lab Cache for someone to find, they will need to enter the find code in by the end of the month. Have fun!

Question:

Can I make a lab-cache in february, for example, for an anniversary or a special occasion? And that person get's to log the cache in another month? Not just february?

Good question! The I <3 Geocaching Lab Caches will expire at midnight (your local time) on February 28th. This means that if you want to participate by creating a Lab Cache for someone to find, they will need to enter the find code in by the end of the month. Have fun!

So, if I create one of these February Lab caches for a friend, does it change my hide count?

Before I take part in the February lab caches I want to guard against problems with our stats in the future should these Geocaching labs not go in to production. The fate of the old challenges springs to mind.

I want to make sure that any finds I make of a lab cache will STAY on my find count for ever even if the concept is later dropped. Otherwise milestone caches could be adversely affected.

Personally, if the intended future of lab caches are to never count towards the milestones, ie only count toward some stats, I wish they were relegated to not counting but showing in my profile, like benchmarks.
+1

As I've said before, I don't care whether lab caches are left out of the find count (like benchmarks) or if lab caches are included in the find count (like grandfathered types or like locationless caches). But including them in the find count in some places but not others is annoying. I want just one find count (even if it is ultimately a meaningless number).

So, if I create one of these February Lab caches for a friend, does it change my hide count?

Nope, the I <3 Geocaching Lab Caches will not alter your hide count. If we get feedback in the surveys that people are wanting that to happen it could be implemented in the next test round.

I started to create a I <3 Geocaching Lab Cache the other day. I believe I left in a "draft mode" (I wasn't finished with it). How do I get back to it? I'm not seeing it linked anywhere in my Groundspeak profile. Don't think I can start over since the site doesn't know that it isn't good to go and that I've not already sent the link out. Help!.

Thanks.

today i found my Lab-cache.

i read somehting abut the statistics, but because i'm a freak of statistics, now i see a wrong statistic.

in the counting, yes, it is there.

in the calander, no, in the type of caches, also no and in the unique findes also no.

so finaly, in all statistics its not showen.

only in my total on the main page.

regards bwater

We just attended the SWAG Yuma 11 Mega Event in Yuma Arizona, there were three of us Docgeo*, Lindabug and Geobunni. We just wanted to tell you that we really enjoyed the new Lab Caches!

Only problem was we couldn't figure out how to leave a message on the Log.

Can I delete the Lab Caches from my profile?

Yes. If you do not want to have the Lab Caches show on your profile or count as a find, you are able to delete them. Click on “Lab Caches” on your Public Profile under “Geocaches Found”, log in and select the garbage can next to each Lab Cache you would like to delete.

Question:

can not undo the deletion?

Edited by majumawm

Can I delete the Lab Caches from my profile?

Yes. If you do not want to have the Lab Caches show on your profile or count as a find, you are able to delete them. Click on “Lab Caches” on your Public Profile under “Geocaches Found”, log in and select the garbage can next to each Lab Cache you would like to delete.

can not undo the deletion?

from what Nate has said in posts, if you choose to delete them, its permanent.

Personally, if the intended future of lab caches are to never count towards the milestones, ie only count toward some stats, I wish they were relegated to not counting but showing in my profile, like benchmarks.
+1

As I've said before, I don't care whether lab caches are left out of the find count (like benchmarks) or if lab caches are included in the find count (like grandfathered types or like locationless caches). But including them in the find count in some places but not others is annoying. I want just one find count (even if it is ultimately a meaningless number).

I would really like to see the following changes to the way Lab Caches work:

• Lab Cache finds included in MyFinds-PQ and API (so I can get GSAK and Project-GC.com to show the same find counts as geocaching.com) (yes, I admit it, sometimes it is about the numbers)
  • Lab Caches included in the statistics
  • List of Lab Caches I've found, it would be nice to not only see the number, but actually see why the number is there
  • Let the Lab Caches count towards the milestones

Here, here!

I agree, I don't care about how many numbers I have, I'm only concerned that they are consistent...

I think these are a great idea and because they are a one time deal for one individual I don't think they violate the geocaching rules but I'm not going to debate that. To each his own opinion. I DO have a question. I'm in the midst of creating a lab cache for someone but I'm getting a little stuck on different parts because I'm not sure about how much editing I can do once I create it. Can I save and go back & make changes before I make it live for my friend? I'm not clear about the differences between the different themes so I might want to change that later. Since we are only allowed to submit one I don't want to start something if I cannot go back and edit.

Thanks

Hello, i like this new 'adventure'. My friend in the USA send me a lab cache, that was a big surprise ! Now i want to send one back.

I picked already a spot for his Lab Cache, but somehow i do something wrong with the designated coordinates. I want him to go to a spot close to him in Florida, but with the coordinates i entered it shows some place in Pakistan, haha. Where do i go wrong and how do i use the map ? Thank you very much for your help !

Greetz,

Shannucke^^ from Holland

Question:

Thanks for answering!!

looking forward to the lab cache at moga 2014....just curious what it will be.

All of the individual Mega-Events get to plan what they want their Lab Cache adventures to be. I am also looking forward to hearing about the fun Lab Caches that the MOGA organizers create.

Have fun! :)

New to Geocaching IMO the Lab cache being both a temp assignment and the ability to be directed at a specific private target has pros and cons. I personally like the idea, to be able to make specific challenging finds for friends and family personalized as well as receiving them. However on the CON side, I see this being misused as a business advertisement like a last chance coupon sent to geo related customers " come attend and buy X to get Z" Limited time offer.

As the temp nature of this is the key and the ability to directly personalize the fear would be that the overall number of public caches may be affected as people make private temp caches. In this way perhaps a incentive counter? every 5 caches found you may create a private lab cache, this would also deter and possibly negate commercial misuse, and still drive people out into the geocache wild to play the traditional game both finding and placing. It also may create more of an incentive to find more caches to be able to create more Lab / private caches.

"Does this count as a find?

Absolutely! For every Lab Cache you find, you’ll earn a smiley and your find count will go up. However, since these aren’t full-fledged geocaches, they won’t earn you souvenirs (including for the 31 Days of Geocaching), count toward earning Favorite Points or affect the statistics you see on your profile."

Yesterday I found 10 lab caches and this means in future I am damned to calculate my milesones manual because when my cache counter will show 4000 founds I have to know that I have just 3990 founds.

This is NO good idea! It would be better that lab caches does not increase the found counter :(

Absolutely! For every Lab Cache you find, you’ll earn a smiley and your find count will go up. However, since these aren’t full-fledged geocaches, they won’t earn you souvenirs (including for the 31 Days of Geocaching), count toward earning Favorite Points or affect the statistics you see on your profile."

Yesterday I found 10 lab caches and this means in future I am damned to calculate my milesones manual because when my cache counter will show 4000 founds I have to know that I have just 3990 founds.

This is NO good idea! It would be better that lab caches does not increase the found counter :(

Same problem here and everywhere ;-)

The reason is - in my opinion - that lab caches DO count for the counter but DO NOT count for the statistics... (not sure if it's a bug or a feature... perhaps it's just not implemented yet)

n8vision's solution is just one of two - lab caches shouldn't encrease the counter OR should be mentioned in the statistics, otherwise it'll be like Sodom & Gomorrha ;-)

According to the reason why lab caches were implemented I think it should count for statistics, too (except the test labs, because there was no real cache or task like for example a earth cache or something).

Best regards

A

Same problem here and everywhere ;-)

The reason is - in my opinion - that lab caches DO count for the counter but DO NOT count for the statistics... (not sure if it's a bug or a feature... perhaps it's just not implemented yet)

n8vision's solution is just one of two - lab caches shouldn't encrease the counter OR should be mentioned in the statistics, otherwise it'll be like Sodom & Gomorrha ;-)

According to the reason why lab caches were implemented I think it should count for statistics, too (except the test labs, because there was no real cache or task like for example a earth cache or something).

Best regards

A

I like my solution. Simply don't waste the time looking for them.

I like my solution. Simply don't waste the time looking for them.
Well, yeah, that's been my approach, more or less. The fact that there haven't been any mega-events anywhere near me helps. But if I had the opportunity to try one, then I think I'd go ahead and complete it (assuming it sounded interesting) and log it, but then I'd delete the log to fix my stats.

If these lab caches are an attempt to have temporary caches for events, it seems to me that there is a simpler, more elegant solution which would mean a small change to the Groundspeak database and no change at all for third-party API users.

When we create a new cache, the first thing we see is a screen asking us for the type of cache - traditional, multi, etc. All that is needed is a new field there so the CO can specify that the new cache is to be part of an event and for the CO to supply the event GC code.

Caches so specified would be exempt from the normal proximity rules and their published co-ordinates would be the same as the event. The cache description would explain what has to be done at the event to get the actual co-ordinates (or start coordinates for a multi).

You would not be allowed to log a find for these caches until you have logged an attended for the event.

These caches would automatically be archived when the event is archived.

There would be a couple of issues to resolve.

1, Who can attach a cache to an event? Just the event owner? A list of people specified by the owner? Anyone?

2. How far from the event can an attached cache be? A couple of miles maximum? Is any limit needed?

This would mean any number of caches of any type could be attached to an event, no special types needed, 3 or 4 fields added to the database and a minimal amount of programming for Groundspeak. Programs like GSAK don't need any special code since these caches are found and logged in the normal way, they appear in all stats and have all the attributes of normal caches, basically because they are normal caches.

Thoughts anyone?

If these lab caches are an attempt to have temporary caches for events
That's the thing: I don't think the point of these Lab Caches is to be temporary, or to be at an event. Those are just implementation details.

The point of these Lab Caches seems to be to provide a semi-structured way to experiment with possibilities for new cache types. The fact that they are at mega-events (and presumably, at giga-events) is just because these events provide hundreds of potential subjects who might be interested in attempting the Lab Caches. The fact that they are temporary is just because the events themselves are temporary.

I know that Geocaching.com perform surveys on the lab cache experiences from previous events. Is there any chance for those of use planning future events could obtain any of that survey data so that we can use it to avoid previous lab cache pitfalls and focus on the successful ideas?