GPS TO REPLACE GARMIN60CSX

Hi

Can anyone please give me some feed back on the Megellan 610. Our old garmin Gpsmap 60csx is on its last legs & we would like to replace it with a unit that has a 3 axis electronic compass & the ability for paperless caching. Lots of people on the forums seem to like the new 62sc but does it have the ability for paperless caching,the old 60csx didnt. At the moment we use our phones with a PQ downloaded for offline use to get the hints & logs, but it would be much better for it all to be in one unit. The new units also seem to hold a lot more caches than our old one, it only held a 1000.

We would be grateful for any advice on our upgrade.

Many thanks

Cully Clompers

The 62 series is just an update of the 60 series including the latest features (yes, paperless caching is one), a faster processor, better screen, and more storage. It makes the most sense for you because there shouldn't be much of a learning curve in terms of using the device. All of your data on the old 60csx should transfer nicely (via basecamp) to the 62. If you had any free maps installed, they'll transfer over too. This isn't to completely discourage you from switching over to Magellan, but if you were happy with your garmin, then you'll be happy with the updated model.

Hi

Can anyone please give me some feed back on the Megellan 610. Our old garmin Gpsmap 60csx is on its last legs & we would like to replace it with a unit that has a 3 axis electronic compass & the ability for paperless caching. Lots of people on the forums seem to like the new 62sc but does it have the ability for paperless caching,the old 60csx didnt. At the moment we use our phones with a PQ downloaded for offline use to get the hints & logs, but it would be much better for it all to be in one unit. The new units also seem to hold a lot more caches than our old one, it only held a 1000.

We would be grateful for any advice on our upgrade.

Many thanks

Cully Clompers

Hi,

Don't get the 610. It has a lot of problems. The 3 axis compass will not stay calibrated. I have gone thru 3 units now. I love the maps, very detailed. Acually the unit is great, if it would just work!!!! I keep hoping one will pull thru and work a while. This unit I have now is a replacement and it will not get affix on satillites. Also when a unit is replaced by Magellan under warranty it is a refurb.

The 62 series is just an update of the 60 series including the latest features (yes, paperless caching is one), a faster processor, better screen, and more storage. It makes the most sense for you because there shouldn't be much of a learning curve in terms of using the device. All of your data on the old 60csx should transfer nicely (via basecamp) to the 62. If you had any free maps installed, they'll transfer over too. This isn't to completely discourage you from switching over to Magellan, but if you were happy with your garmin, then you'll be happy with the updated model.

From what I have read my Oregon 450 (t actually) is mostly the touch screen version of the 62. I would like to try a 62 some time and find out why it gets so many more recommendations than the 450. I like the touch screen. I think it would be hard to convince me to abandon it. Certainly opinions won't. It would take an unbelievable hands on demo.

I came to Garmin paperless from the 60x family of units. The 62 will be more than just an 'update' of the 60. I had been using and upgrading through various Garmin units for 10 years (I had one before I was a Geocacher). All those transitions combined did not equal the jump to paperless. For the first month, if I left the house with the 450, I made sure to take the 60 along as a known quantity. And it got used. I asked a lot of questions about the quirks of that new paperless contraption. It's so easy to use now that I can laugh about it. I certainly would not trade back, but don't let anybody brush off the learning curve as inconsequential. It's real.

From what I have read my Oregon 450 (t actually) is mostly the touch screen version of the 62. I would like to try a 62 some time and find out why it gets so many more recommendations than the 450. I like the touch screen. I think it would be hard to convince me to abandon it. Certainly opinions won't. It would take an unbelievable hands on demo.

I came to Garmin paperless from the 60x family of units. The 62 will be more than just an 'update' of the 60. I had been using and upgrading through various Garmin units for 10 years (I had one before I was a Geocacher). All those transitions combined did not equal the jump to paperless. For the first month, if I left the house with the 450, I made sure to take the 60 along as a known quantity. And it got used. I asked a lot of questions about the quirks of that new paperless contraption. It's so easy to use now that I can laugh about it. I certainly would not trade back, but don't let anybody brush off the learning curve as inconsequential. It's real.

So, I also have an Oregon 450(t) and bought it because I prefer a touch screen interface to the buttons. But the last unit I had used was a GPS 60... no map, no color screen. The 62 series is a few years newer than the 450, not quite new enough for GLONASS support, but new enough to have a slightly brighter screen. It still gets better battery life than the 450 and some people still prefer the button interface. The main advantage of the touch screen comes in scrolling the maps and typing out names for waypoints and such. Beyond that, it just comes down to preference.

With the release of the new Oregon 600 series, the 450(t) has dropped in price and may be a more affordable upgrade than one of the new 62 models. I never found any of Garmin's GPS's hard to use out of the box. Then again, the first thing I do is explore all of the menu options and customize the screens to my preference.

Thanks for the feedback. Does the Oregon 450 come with any maps or do they have to be bought separately, or are there any free ones available. just looking what's available & there is a Garmin Montana & Oregon 550 as well, are they any good? Think im probably going to go with a Garmin Oregon 450, but I know the Garmin base maps are not brilliant. Will my old copy of topo go on the new versions, I really wanted to have os maps, but don't think they can go into a Garmin can they?

Edited by CULLY CLOMPERS

Thanks for the feedback. Does the Oregon 450 come with any maps or do they have to be bought separately, or are there any free ones available. just looking what's available & there is a Garmin Montana & Oregon 550 as well, are they any good? Think im probably going to go with a Garmin Oregon 450, but I know the Garmin base maps are not brilliant. Will my old copy of topo go on the new versions, I really wanted to have os maps, but don't think they can go into a Garmin can they?

You can get free maps of the UK from www.talkytoaster.info (your profile says you're in Devon so I figure UK maps are what you need). You can get OS maps for Garmins but if you want the 1:25000 maps they are expensive (I forget the exact price but vaguely recall figures of a few hundred pounds for full UK mapping).

I upgraded my 60CSx to a Montana 650 and love the Montana. It's significantly bigger than the 60 so if size is a problem for you then you may want to consider something smaller like the Oregon. From what I can tell the 62 is a significant upgrade on the 60 while keeping the button-style user interface. I must admit I just love the big screen on the Montana for showing a lot of map at once, but it doesn't slip into a pocket quite as easily as a smaller unit like the Oregon or Dakota.

If you get an Oregon or Montana with a number ending in -t (e.g. Oregon 450t, Montana 650t) you'll get topographical maps with it. If you buy a UK model you'll get European maps; if you buy it cheaper in the US you'll get North American maps. Personally I'd be inclined to save the money and get the one without maps and, depending on what you're doing with it, either use the free OpenStreetMap maps (from talkytoaster's site) or buy City Navigator maps.

OSM maps are good for hiking and OK for cycling, although I've found sometimes the routing algorithms can be a bit suspect. I haven't used them for driving, not least becase when I'm on the bike if it tells me to do something impossible I can stop just about anywhere to read the map for myself, and when I'm driving I can't. Sometimes on the bike it's tried to route me down what it thinks is a valid cycling route only to find it's a six-inch wide muddy track with stinging nettles on both sides leaning inwards, protected by six-foot high metal bars with a big No Cycling sign on them.

You can get free maps of the UK from www.talkytoaster.info (your profile says you're in Devon so I figure UK maps are what you need). You can get OS maps for Garmins but if you want the 1:25000 maps they are expensive (I forget the exact price but vaguely recall figures of a few hundred pounds for full UK mapping).

I upgraded my 60CSx to a Montana 650 and love the Montana. It's significantly bigger than the 60 so if size is a problem for you then you may want to consider something smaller like the Oregon. From what I can tell the 62 is a significant upgrade on the 60 while keeping the button-style user interface. I must admit I just love the big screen on the Montana for showing a lot of map at once, but it doesn't slip into a pocket quite as easily as a smaller unit like the Oregon or Dakota.

If you get an Oregon or Montana with a number ending in -t (e.g. Oregon 450t, Montana 650t) you'll get topographical maps with it. If you buy a UK model you'll get European maps; if you buy it cheaper in the US you'll get North American maps. Personally I'd be inclined to save the money and get the one without maps and, depending on what you're doing with it, either use the free OpenStreetMap maps (from talkytoaster's site) or buy City Navigator maps.

OSM maps are good for hiking and OK for cycling, although I've found sometimes the routing algorithms can be a bit suspect. I haven't used them for driving, not least becase when I'm on the bike if it tells me to do something impossible I can stop just about anywhere to read the map for myself, and when I'm driving I can't. Sometimes on the bike it's tried to route me down what it thinks is a valid cycling route only to find it's a six-inch wide muddy track with stinging nettles on both sides leaning inwards, protected by six-foot high metal bars with a big No Cycling sign on them.

Thanks, that's a brilliant help. Think it might be the Oregon we go for, going to go & have a play with some on Saturday at the Cotswold shop. MANY THANKS EVERYONE

For my uses (mainly hiking, hunting and some geocaching) I use an Etrex 20 as a replacement for the 60csx. And I really like the 60csx, but mine now gathers dust on the shelf.

If you have to have the 3 axis compass, then consider the 30. I never have cared for the compass and calibration, but different strokes, as they say.