Free Travel Bug resurrection...just helping out

4B Ohana

Aloha,

I have really gotten into releasing trackables (travel bugs and geocoins) and have come across the ever dreaded disappointment of having the item stolen, missing or disappeared, especially right after it gets released into a cache. i also tend to be a bit of a stickler when it comes to caches showing that a trackable is listed but when you get there its not in the cache. I have come to "deal" with these things, but as such I personally wanted to make sure that my trackables travel and created a fun an unique way of re-releasing my trackables by using a bottle cap type tag and placing the trackable number in it and attaching it to a color photo copy of the trackable (either a picture of the original travel bug item or the front and back sides of a geocoin).

While some people frown on this practice (i.e. sending out proxies), it is up to the individual person as to if they want to release a proxy and/or if they will move a proxy. I will not get into that debate as I clearly have fun releasing even my proxy coins and tags and watching them travel.

What I am writing is to offer my services of creating proxies to resurrect a lost, stolen, missing, disappearing trackable at no charge, but simply to see them back in action again. I am posting a few examples so you can see what would be created and you can decide for yourself if you want to contact me or not.

Here are a few things regarding this free service:

1) The proxy will be released in Hawaii, I will not spend money to send it anywhere. If you would like me to send it somewhere, the cost to package and ship would be on you. On some occasions I can release them when I travel, but I would ask you if you would prefer it prior to releasing.

2) I will ONLY release proxies where the owner of the trackable to be released is the same person to contact me. I will not make proxies that are requested by someone other than the owner.

3) I will not make proxies for any trackables that are in a race. Since I will be releasing them in Hawaii, they will gain miles on them from their last logged site to Hawaii and this is an unfair advantage to others in the race.

4) I am not the person making the decision that your trackable has gone missing. If you think two weeks is enough and want a new one released, I have no problems in doing such at your request. I will not get into a debate as to how long an item goes without being logged to consider it missing. You decide if it is missing. not me.

5) I am open to your requests of colors, other items to be attached, adding a laminated info card that has the trackable name and goal on it and even printing it in other languages, but there is only so much I can do, so please make the requests reasonable.

If after all this you would like to be a part of this project, please contact me via PRIVATE MESSAGE with the following and DO NOT POST that information here:

Geoname:

Traackable webpage number:(i.e. TBXXXXX)

Trackable name:

Tracking number: (number on tag or on geocoin)

Special requests

I will get back to you as soon as I can.

Again, this topic is not a place for ranting and raving. I am simply offering a service. If you like it, use it. If you don't, don't use it. I am simply here to help trackables keep on the move.

sample1.jpg

sample2a.jpgsample2.jpg

sample3b.jpg

Edited by 4B Ohana

Wow! Good work!

I am one who gladly releases bugs and even smaller / inexpensive coins in their "real" form, but fancier coins go in proxy form right from the beginning. I tend to favor little tabs of engraved metal attached to a suitable toy/object as hitchhiker. These that you've put together are very nicely done. Great job and a very kind offer; I bet you'll get some eager takers!

--Q

I decided that, rather than trying ideas about marking dead TBs listed in caches “Missing” (it's a popular suggestion around here), I would get them all revived, as many as possible. To add to the game rather than removing things. I thought I'd show people how it's done. <_<

So I found a very dead TB, wrote to the owner, and offered to replace the item. So the revived TB could be placed into the same cache, and continue from there. I got no reply. :rolleyes:

But I kind of expected that -- it's a TB unlikely to ever return, everything is wrong with that one. I haven't given up. I'll try my idea on more of those. :anicute:

Edited by kunarion

I decided that, rather than trying ideas about marking dead TBs listed in caches “Missing” (it's a popular suggestion around here), I would get them all revived, as many as possible. To add to the game rather than removing things. I thought I'd show people how it's done. <_<

So I found a very dead TB, wrote to the owner, and offered to replace the item. So the revived TB could be placed into the same cache, and continue from there. I got no reply. :rolleyes:

But I kind of expected that -- it's a TB unlikely to ever return, everything is wrong with that one. I haven't given up. I'll try my idea on more of those. :anicute:

I have been trying some of that as well with ones that go missing from my caches. There are a few that I have sent out that way. If you have anyone that wants a proxy made, just have them contact me thru the forums or via my geocaching page.

I have been releasing more trackables and coins while on vacation and have moved about twenty lost souls back out into the geocaching world. So far have gotten a great response to those being released at events that I have attended. Will post some more pictures of ones released soon.

I think you are offering a great service. I have just had four tags created for 4 coins that have disappeared. Since they have gone missing all over North America, I love the idea of releasing them in Hawaii. If I send them to you, would you be willing to release them for me ?

Thank You

I think you are offering a great service. I have just had four tags created for 4 coins that have disappeared. Since they have gone missing all over North America, I love the idea of releasing them in Hawaii. If I send them to you, would you be willing to release them for me ?

Thank You

Can the TBs spend an afternoon at Waikiki? :P

Edited by kunarion

Thank You

I'm sure they would luv it !

Thank You

I'm sure they would luv it !

Yes just send me a pm or email me with the details and I can release them. As far as waikiki, I can attach a tag to go there, but that is on a different island (Oahu) and I am on the Big island (Hawaii) so it will have to catch a small plane ride with someone to get to Waikiki. :)