Groundspeak newsletter

Simrebel

Hope you all get and enjoy this weeks newsletter. It's all about how to get ideas for creating a creative caches. Of course, it is also mirrored on the blog and since it completely ignored the almost 6000 post CCC forum thread, I thought I would add that to the comments. It seems that comments are now moderated and mine somehow didn't make it. It must be lost in the nether regions of the Internet, right? Certainly Groundspeak wouldn't moderate a link to their own forums, would they?

Maybe the comment, "You must be embarrassed by your own forums", got it axed?

Hey Don,

So great to hear from you on here! Ben and I miss hiking with the big bunch, down there. You, my friend, are a wealth of knowledge. :) We will have to remember to share that forum thread with the people who write the blog posts around here. Such a great idea!

Thanks so much for writing in. Have a great week!

Great to hear from you too. I bet you don't miss the heat. 109 last week. Makes it's hard to hike without dieing.

I think that the comment system on the blog is broke because there are no comments and the weekly newsletter always gets about 10 almost as soon as it posts. I had added a link to the Cool Cache Container thread that has hundreds maybe thousands of photos of the really creative stuff that people have done. I also added a link for the Bad Cache Container thread that shows how bad some caches can get after only a few months. I'm for anything that helps the the newbies place better caches.

109?!? Oh man! You are right, I don't miss that heat. :( We do miss the winter hiking in the mid 70's though.

I had a chance to chat with the Blog Department and found out that there is an auto-filter on the comments that is won't allow links to be posted, since that's what the spam bots do. I love the idea of people finding out more about how to make more creative cache hides. Maybe try directing people to the CCC forum without using a link?

I sure was hoping that things would be back to normal after my last post at 1:23pm. Received 68 between 12:15 and 1:15, this is below number of emails for us in that time frame. However, haven't received any notices of any kind since that time. It is now 8:20 pm EDT. Wanted to keep you in the loop.

Thanks for the update, MaxB on the River. I just checked-in with the IT Dept and they told me that Comcast is still deferring/throttling (releasing a little bit at a time) the e-mails. So while their paying customers are not on a specific "block list" you are not on the "white list" either. Somewhere in Comcast purgatory. :( They told me to have paying customers continue to complain that their e-mail is being deferred by Comcast. On our end, we are continuing to push them, but the voices of their paying customers speak much louder than we have been shouting.

It appears that some action has been taken by Comcast. I received stale emails (9-5-13) notifying of PQ completion. We'll see about the newsletter. Here is Comcast's response, and it appears that all 4 IP addresses are now already clear:

Thank you for contacting Comcast Customer Security Assurance. We have received and reviewed your RBL removal request.

Below each IP address you submitted in your request, we have included the result of our research. Please do not reply to this message.

We have received your request for removal from our inbound blocklist. After investigating the issue, we have found that the IP you provided for removal is currently not on our blocklist.

We need the IP address currently blocked to further investigate this issue. The IP address is a number separated by decimals and is located in an error code starting with "550" in the returned email from Comcast.

Please verify the IP(s) and resubmit your request to http://postmaster.comcast.net

We have received your request for removal from our inbound blocklist. After investigating the issue, we have found that the IP you provided for removal is currently not on our blocklist.

We need the IP address currently blocked to further investigate this issue. The IP address is a number separated by decimals and is located in an error code starting with "550" in the returned email from Comcast.

Please verify the IP(s) and resubmit your request to http://postmaster.comcast.net

Sincerely,

Comcast Customer Security Assurance

That is fantastic news! Please let me know if you guys get your Weekly Mailer this week. I've got my fingers crossed! :o

Unfortunately, requesting to be removed from the "Blocklist" is not helping the situation you Comcasters are experiencing. We're following everything recommended on this page, however it appears that we're subject to the last line of #9 and Comcast is applying a throttle wait based on our reputation and authentication. Everything else they've recommended is in compliance, so at this point user complaints are likely the only way we'll obtain an exemption to their throttle rate. Please continue to contact them by phone and email if possible, and update this thread if you are able to reach a high-level engineer that can actually do something about this. We've had issues of this nature with other ISPs in the past, but Comcast seems to have a lot of automation hurdles to get through in order to speak with a real live person that can enact change.

It appears that some action has been taken by Comcast. I received stale emails (9-5-13) notifying of PQ completion. We'll see about the newsletter. Here is Comcast's response, and it appears that all 4 IP addresses are now already clear:

Thank you for contacting Comcast Customer Security Assurance. We have received and reviewed your RBL removal request.

Below each IP address you submitted in your request, we have included the result of our research. Please do not reply to this message.

Sincerely,

That is fantastic news! Please let me know if you guys get your Weekly Mailer this week. I've got my fingers crossed! :o

Unfortunately, requesting to be removed from the "Blocklist" is not helping the situation you Comcasters are experiencing. We're following everything recommended on this page, however it appears that we're subject to the last line of #9 and Comcast is applying a throttle wait based on our reputation and authentication. Everything else they've recommended is in compliance, so at this point user complaints are likely the only way we'll obtain an exemption to their throttle rate. Please continue to contact them by phone and email if possible, and update this thread if you are able to reach a high-level engineer that can actually do something about this. We've had issues of this nature with other ISPs in the past, but Comcast seems to have a lot of automation hurdles to get through in order to speak with a real live person that can enact change.

Please also add requests to this Comcast forum thread in an attempt to generate some traction on this issue.

Sincerely,

Well, it's Thursday, and no newsletter has arrived for this week, so I guess we must still have some sort of cock up going with Comcast. Oddly, I did get a couple of 'old' emails day before yesterday that were dated 9/5/13 for some PQs that I had run that day.

Thanks for checking in, guys. Our IT Dept is going to pick up the phone again today to try to get this to move forward at a faster pace...they are suggesting that Comcast's paying customers give a quick call into them, as well.

*Comcast Business Hours:

*6:00am – 2:00am EST, 7 days a week

*(888) 565-4329

Please also add requests to this Comcast forum thread in an attempt to generate some traction on this issue.

FINALLY - I got a newsletter today. However, there's some serious binary constipation somewhere upstream, and perhaps it IS at Groundspeak. Check this out. Today is 4 October. Here's the header.

September 30 mail arriving on 4 October??? What's up with THAT??? This mail was launched on 30 September, and was not received by Comcast FROM Groundspeak until 4 October.

Return-Path: noreply@geocaching.com

Received: from imta24.westchester.pa.mail.comcast.net (LHLO imta24.westchester.pa.mail.comcast.net) (76.96.62.55) by sz0065.ev.mail.comcast.net with LMTP; Fri, 4 Oct 2013 09:22:09 +0000 (UTC)

Received: from signal2.Groundspeak.com ([66.150.167.158]) by imta24.westchester.pa.mail.comcast.net with comcast id YxL81m02s3RP4Bm0QxL95o; Fri, 04 Oct 2013 09:20:09 +0000

X-CAA-SPAM: F00000

X-Authority-Analysis: v=2.1 cv=bc9SDo/B c=1 sm=1 tr=0

a=jqEjrBFpAwbOS8u16z1AHQ==:117 a=jqEjrBFpAwbOS8u16z1AHQ==:17

a=7g6pdZuhAAAA:8 a=C_IRinGWAAAA:8 a=lS0MHldHvS4A:10

a=lLRy_GhgAcwA:10 a=is-NiXZDWAoA:10 a=31XcC5zhAAAA:8

a=pssbuiV2AAAA:8 a=oo1jGifv8GMA:10 a=7iRpS-rWAAAA:8

a=YAT3dnGOVGZ55nObLX4A:9 a=lfPNUWGyptw6MiXY:21

a=xfbs6pbi3_iC9myB:21 a=QEXdDO2ut3YA:10 a=42UJCrtXujkA:10

a=QrzERuaaZ1gA:10 a=DuyeAHYimBkA:10 a=i8JDfcD9SsgA:10

a=rjoWc_hXL8IA:10 a=NWVoK91CQyQA:10 a=sOjNq8LWci0A:10

a=SSmOFEACAAAA:8 a=3j4BkbkPAAAA:8 a=54rEGHUhAAAA:20

a=JqEG_dyiAAAA:8 a=w5qebHvgAAAA:20 a=W356kLgiP8hYi4WtAxYA:9

a=CpjFwCev9mbmBREm:21 a=vFQAa678WRcVUJt_:21

a=rR7OFa0b3Kd0UrSB:21 a=_W_S_7VecoQA:10 a=frz4AuCg-hUA:10

a=tXsnliwV7b4A:10 a=CKuBzf6WArkA:10 a=sb7NL3cpXDQA:10

a=6q5tLJdOTQ4A:10 a=8-9e5to9BScA:10 a=xcjA3Eexsu4A:10

a=G5ta-Dl_ErEA:10 a=p403mkujtbAA:10 a=dRznMrBQYuEA:10

Authentication-Results: imta24.westchester.pa.mail.comcast.net; dkim=pass header.d=geocaching.com header.b=CCEIrhXe

Received: from PAPERBOY2000.sef.Groundspeak.biz (unknown [172.22.32.34]) by signal2.Groundspeak.com (Postfix) with ESMTP id DBBC5702B75 for <earl.anderson@comcast.net>; Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:40:36 -0700 (PDT)

DKIM-Signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=geocaching.com; s=mail; t=1380573636; bh=vRnngR61E3HEX4SmbGvTDUlPnYwGlqIv6mSAenqYFws=; h=From:To:Date:Subject:From; b=CCEIrhXeIyN/FT+BfWAuVpcXtAML+FVpTwB9Jzzvf4v7jTPPeGUvrZ+rKEIjcj4yL OXdzIZKwnErD2e9Go/jD2mtvabI/N8F07cApJH44wx5xoVTM88Udq/A/0jmJvrFVr7 xAGzPfjAN6cVFGKx42+i3P2U6qT2D8jeezY84A9o=

Received: from mail pickup service by PAPERBOY2000.sef.Groundspeak.biz with Microsoft SMTPSVC; Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:40:48 -0700

X-Mailer: Groundspeak MailerMIME-Version: 1.0From: "Geocaching" <noreply@geocaching.com>

To: earl.anderson@comcast.net

Date: 30 Sep 2013 13:40:48 -0700

Subject: The Original Geocaching Bling Turns 12

Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary=--boundary_18727546_6a1bf7da-4a43-4706-bc71-451fcc7c20e7

Message-ID: <PAPERBOY20005zdc5DY02f89be2@PAPERBOY2000.sef.Groundspeak.biz>

X-OriginalArrivalTime: 30 Sep 2013 20:40:48.0351 (UTC) FILETIME=[5834D6F0:01CEBE1D]

Edited by ecanderson

FINALLY - I got a newsletter today. However, there's some serious binary constipation somewhere upstream, and perhaps it IS at Groundspeak. Check this out. Today is 4 October. Here's the header.

September 30 mail arriving on 4 October??? What's up with THAT??? This mail was launched on 30 September, and was not received by Comcast FROM Groundspeak until 4 October.

Received: from imta24.westchester.pa.mail.comcast.net (LHLO imta24.westchester.pa.mail.comcast.net) (76.96.62.55) by sz0065.ev.mail.comcast.net with LMTP; Fri, 4 Oct 2013 09:22:09 +0000 (UTC)

Received: from signal2.Groundspeak.com ([66.150.167.158]) by imta24.westchester.pa.mail.comcast.net with comcast id YxL81m02s3RP4Bm0QxL95o; Fri, 04 Oct 2013 09:20:09 +0000

Authentication-Results: imta24.westchester.pa.mail.comcast.net; dkim=pass header.d=geocaching.com header.b=CCEIrhXe

Received: from PAPERBOY2000.sef.Groundspeak.biz (unknown [172.22.32.34]) by signal2.Groundspeak.com (Postfix) with ESMTP id DBBC5702B75 for <earl.anderson@comcast.net>; Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:40:36 -0700 (PDT)

DKIM-Signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=geocaching.com; s=mail; t=1380573636; bh=vRnngR61E3HEX4SmbGvTDUlPnYwGlqIv6mSAenqYFws=; h=From:To:Date:Subject:From; b=CCEIrhXeIyN/FT+BfWAuVpcXtAML+FVpTwB9Jzzvf4v7jTPPeGUvrZ+rKEIjcj4yL OXdzIZKwnErD2e9Go/jD2mtvabI/N8F07cApJH44wx5xoVTM88Udq/A/0jmJvrFVr7 xAGzPfjAN6cVFGKx42+i3P2U6qT2D8jeezY84A9o=

Received: from mail pickup service by PAPERBOY2000.sef.Groundspeak.biz with Microsoft SMTPSVC; Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:40:48 -0700

X-Mailer: Groundspeak MailerMIME-Version: 1.0From: "Geocaching" <noreply@geocaching.com>

Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary=--boundary_18727546_6a1bf7da-4a43-4706-bc71-451fcc7c20e7

X-OriginalArrivalTime: 30 Sep 2013 20:40:48.0351 (UTC) FILETIME=[5834D6F0:01CEBE1D]

No, it's the same issue that I described previously. Comcast is now throttling Weekly Mailer messages we attempt to send by deferment, so our server keeps retrying until the message is accepted or expired. In this case, it took ~4 days. Here are the logs:

Sep 30 13:40:36 signal2 postfix/error[18592]: DBBC5702B75: to=<earl.anderson@comcast.net>, relay=none, delay=0.1, delays=0.1/0/0/0, dsn=4.0.0, status=deferred (delivery temporarily suspended: host mx1.comcast.net[68.87.26.147] refused to talk to me: 421 imta34.westchester.pa.mail.comcast.net comcast Try again later)

Sep 30 14:21:55 signal2 postfix/error[27076]: DBBC5702B75: to=<earl.anderson@comcast.net>, relay=none, delay=2478, delays=2478/0/0/0, dsn=4.0.0, status=deferred (delivery temporarily suspended: host mx2.comcast.net[76.96.40.147] refused to talk to me: 421 imta24.emeryville.ca.mail.comcast.net comcast Try again later)

Sep 30 15:15:28 signal2 postfix/error[26069]: DBBC5702B75: to=<earl.anderson@comcast.net>, relay=none, delay=5692, delays=5692/0/0/0, dsn=4.0.0, status=deferred (delivery temporarily suspended: host mx1.comcast.net[68.87.26.147] refused to talk to me: 421 imta10.westchester.pa.mail.comcast.net comcast Try again later)

Sep 30 17:31:19 signal2 postfix/error[21426]: DBBC5702B75: to=<earl.anderson@comcast.net>, relay=none, delay=13842, delays=13842/0/0/0, dsn=4.0.0, status=deferred (delivery temporarily suspended: host mx1.comcast.net[68.87.26.147] refused to talk to me: 421 imta19.westchester.pa.mail.comcast.net comcast Try again later)

Sep 30 21:50:24 signal2 postfix/error[21488]: DBBC5702B75: to=<earl.anderson@comcast.net>, relay=none, delay=29388, delays=29388/0/0/0, dsn=4.0.0, status=deferred (delivery temporarily suspended: host mx1.comcast.net[68.87.26.147] refused to talk to me: 421 imta25.westchester.pa.mail.comcast.net comcast Try again later)

Oct 1 02:20:11 signal2 postfix/error[17888]: DBBC5702B75: to=<earl.anderson@comcast.net>, relay=none, delay=45575, delays=45575/0/0/0, dsn=4.0.0, status=deferred (delivery temporarily suspended: host mx2.comcast.net[76.96.40.147] refused to talk to me: 421 imta25.emeryville.ca.mail.comcast.net comcast Try again later)

Oct 1 06:50:08 signal2 postfix/error[14401]: DBBC5702B75: to=<earl.anderson@comcast.net>, relay=none, delay=61771, delays=61767/4.3/0/0, dsn=4.0.0, status=deferred (delivery temporarily suspended: host mx2.comcast.net[76.96.40.147] refused to talk to me: 421 imta28.emeryville.ca.mail.comcast.net comcast Try again later)

Oct 1 11:20:24 signal2 postfix/error[10233]: DBBC5702B75: to=<earl.anderson@comcast.net>, relay=none, delay=77988, delays=77967/21/0/0, dsn=4.0.0, status=deferred (delivery temporarily suspended: host mx1.comcast.net[68.87.26.147] refused to talk to me: 421 imta09.westchester.pa.mail.comcast.net comcast Try again later)

Oct 1 15:50:18 signal2 postfix/error[5719]: DBBC5702B75: to=<earl.anderson@comcast.net>, relay=none, delay=94181, delays=94167/15/0/0, dsn=4.0.0, status=deferred (delivery temporarily suspended: host mx1.comcast.net[68.87.26.147] refused to talk to me: 421 imta30.westchester.pa.mail.comcast.net comcast Try again later)

Oct 1 20:20:06 signal2 postfix/error[1014]: DBBC5702B75: to=<earl.anderson@comcast.net>, relay=none, delay=110369, delays=110367/2.6/0/0, dsn=4.0.0, status=deferred (delivery temporarily suspended: host mx1.comcast.net[68.87.26.147] refused to talk to me: 421 imta29.westchester.pa.mail.comcast.net comcast Try again later)

Oct 2 00:50:09 signal2 postfix/error[29149]: DBBC5702B75: to=<earl.anderson@comcast.net>, relay=none, delay=126572, delays=126572/0/0/0, dsn=4.0.0, status=deferred (delivery temporarily suspended: host mx2.comcast.net[76.96.40.147] refused to talk to me: 421 imta12.emeryville.ca.mail.comcast.net comcast Try again later)

Oct 2 05:20:20 signal2 postfix/error[24714]: DBBC5702B75: to=<earl.anderson@comcast.net>, relay=none, delay=142783, delays=142764/19/0/0, dsn=4.0.0, status=deferred (delivery temporarily suspended: host mx2.comcast.net[76.96.40.147] refused to talk to me: 421 imta32.emeryville.ca.mail.comcast.net comcast Try again later)

Oct 2 09:50:20 signal2 postfix/error[20450]: DBBC5702B75: to=<earl.anderson@comcast.net>, relay=none, delay=158983, delays=158965/19/0/0, dsn=4.0.0, status=deferred (delivery temporarily suspended: host mx1.comcast.net[68.87.26.147] refused to talk to me: 421 imta27.westchester.pa.mail.comcast.net comcast Try again later)

Oct 2 14:20:05 signal2 postfix/error[15686]: DBBC5702B75: to=<earl.anderson@comcast.net>, relay=none, delay=175169, delays=175165/3.9/0/0, dsn=4.0.0, status=deferred (delivery temporarily suspended: host mx1.comcast.net[68.87.26.147] refused to talk to me: 421 imta02.westchester.pa.mail.comcast.net comcast Try again later)

Oct 2 18:50:05 signal2 postfix/error[11213]: DBBC5702B75: to=<earl.anderson@comcast.net>, relay=none, delay=191369, delays=191365/4/0/0, dsn=4.0.0, status=deferred (delivery temporarily suspended: host mx2.comcast.net[76.96.40.147] refused to talk to me: 421 imta21.emeryville.ca.mail.comcast.net comcast Try again later)

Oct 2 23:20:32 signal2 postfix/error[5842]: DBBC5702B75: to=<earl.anderson@comcast.net>, relay=none, delay=207596, delays=207564/32/0/0, dsn=4.0.0, status=deferred (delivery temporarily suspended: host mx1.comcast.net[68.87.26.147] refused to talk to me: 421 imta26.westchester.pa.mail.comcast.net comcast Try again later)

Oct 3 03:50:18 signal2 postfix/error[1119]: DBBC5702B75: to=<earl.anderson@comcast.net>, relay=none, delay=223782, delays=223765/17/0/0, dsn=4.0.0, status=deferred (delivery temporarily suspended: host mx1.comcast.net[68.87.26.147] refused to talk to me: 421 imta12.westchester.pa.mail.comcast.net comcast Try again later)

Oct 3 08:20:09 signal2 postfix/error[28593]: DBBC5702B75: to=<earl.anderson@comcast.net>, relay=none, delay=239973, delays=239966/7/0/0, dsn=4.0.0, status=deferred (delivery temporarily suspended: host mx2.comcast.net[76.96.40.147] refused to talk to me: 421 imta38.emeryville.ca.mail.comcast.net comcast Try again later)

Oct 3 12:50:08 signal2 postfix/error[23322]: DBBC5702B75: to=<earl.anderson@comcast.net>, relay=none, delay=256172, delays=256167/4.6/0/0, dsn=4.0.0, status=deferred (delivery temporarily suspended: host mx2.comcast.net[76.96.40.147] refused to talk to me: 421 imta17.emeryville.ca.mail.comcast.net comcast Try again later)

Oct 3 17:20:18 signal2 postfix/error[18820]: DBBC5702B75: to=<earl.anderson@comcast.net>, relay=none, delay=272382, delays=272367/15/0/0, dsn=4.0.0, status=deferred (delivery temporarily suspended: host mx2.comcast.net[76.96.40.147] refused to talk to me: 421 imta08.emeryville.ca.mail.comcast.net comcast Try again later)

Oct 3 21:50:19 signal2 postfix/smtp[13687]: DBBC5702B75: to=<earl.anderson@comcast.net>, relay=mx1.comcast.net[68.87.26.147]:25, delay=288583, delays=288567/15/0.3/0, dsn=4.0.0, status=deferred (host mx1.comcast.net[68.87.26.147] refused to talk to me: 421 imta18.westchester.pa.mail.comcast.net comcast Try again later)

Oct 4 02:20:12 signal2 postfix/smtp[8287]: DBBC5702B75: to=<earl.anderson@comcast.net>, relay=mx1.comcast.net[68.87.26.147]:25, delay=304776, delays=304768/6.3/0.3/0.7, dsn=2.0.0, status=sent (250 2.0.0 YxL81m02s3RP4Bm0QxL95o mail accepted for delivery)

No, it's the same issue that I described previously. Comcast is now throttling Weekly Mailer messages we attempt to send by deferment, so our server keeps retrying until the message is accepted or expired. In this case, it took ~4 days. Here are the logs:

Sep 30 13:40:36 signal2 postfix/error[18592]: DBBC5702B75: to=<earl.anderson@comcast.net>, relay=none, delay=0.1, delays=0.1/0/0/0, dsn=4.0.0, status=deferred (delivery temporarily suspended: host mx1.comcast.net[68.87.26.147] refused to talk to me: 421 imta34.westchester.pa.mail.comcast.net comcast Try again later)

Sep 30 14:21:55 signal2 postfix/error[27076]: DBBC5702B75: to=<earl.anderson@comcast.net>, relay=none, delay=2478, delays=2478/0/0/0, dsn=4.0.0, status=deferred (delivery temporarily suspended: host mx2.comcast.net[76.96.40.147] refused to talk to me: 421 imta24.emeryville.ca.mail.comcast.net comcast Try again later)

Sep 30 15:15:28 signal2 postfix/error[26069]: DBBC5702B75: to=<earl.anderson@comcast.net>, relay=none, delay=5692, delays=5692/0/0/0, dsn=4.0.0, status=deferred (delivery temporarily suspended: host mx1.comcast.net[68.87.26.147] refused to talk to me: 421 imta10.westchester.pa.mail.comcast.net comcast Try again later)

Sep 30 17:31:19 signal2 postfix/error[21426]: DBBC5702B75: to=<earl.anderson@comcast.net>, relay=none, delay=13842, delays=13842/0/0/0, dsn=4.0.0, status=deferred (delivery temporarily suspended: host mx1.comcast.net[68.87.26.147] refused to talk to me: 421 imta19.westchester.pa.mail.comcast.net comcast Try again later)

Sep 30 21:50:24 signal2 postfix/error[21488]: DBBC5702B75: to=<earl.anderson@comcast.net>, relay=none, delay=29388, delays=29388/0/0/0, dsn=4.0.0, status=deferred (delivery temporarily suspended: host mx1.comcast.net[68.87.26.147] refused to talk to me: 421 imta25.westchester.pa.mail.comcast.net comcast Try again later)

Oct 1 02:20:11 signal2 postfix/error[17888]: DBBC5702B75: to=<earl.anderson@comcast.net>, relay=none, delay=45575, delays=45575/0/0/0, dsn=4.0.0, status=deferred (delivery temporarily suspended: host mx2.comcast.net[76.96.40.147] refused to talk to me: 421 imta25.emeryville.ca.mail.comcast.net comcast Try again later)

Oct 1 06:50:08 signal2 postfix/error[14401]: DBBC5702B75: to=<earl.anderson@comcast.net>, relay=none, delay=61771, delays=61767/4.3/0/0, dsn=4.0.0, status=deferred (delivery temporarily suspended: host mx2.comcast.net[76.96.40.147] refused to talk to me: 421 imta28.emeryville.ca.mail.comcast.net comcast Try again later)

Oct 1 11:20:24 signal2 postfix/error[10233]: DBBC5702B75: to=<earl.anderson@comcast.net>, relay=none, delay=77988, delays=77967/21/0/0, dsn=4.0.0, status=deferred (delivery temporarily suspended: host mx1.comcast.net[68.87.26.147] refused to talk to me: 421 imta09.westchester.pa.mail.comcast.net comcast Try again later)

Oct 1 15:50:18 signal2 postfix/error[5719]: DBBC5702B75: to=<earl.anderson@comcast.net>, relay=none, delay=94181, delays=94167/15/0/0, dsn=4.0.0, status=deferred (delivery temporarily suspended: host mx1.comcast.net[68.87.26.147] refused to talk to me: 421 imta30.westchester.pa.mail.comcast.net comcast Try again later)

Oct 1 20:20:06 signal2 postfix/error[1014]: DBBC5702B75: to=<earl.anderson@comcast.net>, relay=none, delay=110369, delays=110367/2.6/0/0, dsn=4.0.0, status=deferred (delivery temporarily suspended: host mx1.comcast.net[68.87.26.147] refused to talk to me: 421 imta29.westchester.pa.mail.comcast.net comcast Try again later)

Oct 2 00:50:09 signal2 postfix/error[29149]: DBBC5702B75: to=<earl.anderson@comcast.net>, relay=none, delay=126572, delays=126572/0/0/0, dsn=4.0.0, status=deferred (delivery temporarily suspended: host mx2.comcast.net[76.96.40.147] refused to talk to me: 421 imta12.emeryville.ca.mail.comcast.net comcast Try again later)

Oct 2 05:20:20 signal2 postfix/error[24714]: DBBC5702B75: to=<earl.anderson@comcast.net>, relay=none, delay=142783, delays=142764/19/0/0, dsn=4.0.0, status=deferred (delivery temporarily suspended: host mx2.comcast.net[76.96.40.147] refused to talk to me: 421 imta32.emeryville.ca.mail.comcast.net comcast Try again later)

Oct 2 09:50:20 signal2 postfix/error[20450]: DBBC5702B75: to=<earl.anderson@comcast.net>, relay=none, delay=158983, delays=158965/19/0/0, dsn=4.0.0, status=deferred (delivery temporarily suspended: host mx1.comcast.net[68.87.26.147] refused to talk to me: 421 imta27.westchester.pa.mail.comcast.net comcast Try again later)

Oct 2 14:20:05 signal2 postfix/error[15686]: DBBC5702B75: to=<earl.anderson@comcast.net>, relay=none, delay=175169, delays=175165/3.9/0/0, dsn=4.0.0, status=deferred (delivery temporarily suspended: host mx1.comcast.net[68.87.26.147] refused to talk to me: 421 imta02.westchester.pa.mail.comcast.net comcast Try again later)

Oct 2 18:50:05 signal2 postfix/error[11213]: DBBC5702B75: to=<earl.anderson@comcast.net>, relay=none, delay=191369, delays=191365/4/0/0, dsn=4.0.0, status=deferred (delivery temporarily suspended: host mx2.comcast.net[76.96.40.147] refused to talk to me: 421 imta21.emeryville.ca.mail.comcast.net comcast Try again later)

Oct 2 23:20:32 signal2 postfix/error[5842]: DBBC5702B75: to=<earl.anderson@comcast.net>, relay=none, delay=207596, delays=207564/32/0/0, dsn=4.0.0, status=deferred (delivery temporarily suspended: host mx1.comcast.net[68.87.26.147] refused to talk to me: 421 imta26.westchester.pa.mail.comcast.net comcast Try again later)

Oct 3 03:50:18 signal2 postfix/error[1119]: DBBC5702B75: to=<earl.anderson@comcast.net>, relay=none, delay=223782, delays=223765/17/0/0, dsn=4.0.0, status=deferred (delivery temporarily suspended: host mx1.comcast.net[68.87.26.147] refused to talk to me: 421 imta12.westchester.pa.mail.comcast.net comcast Try again later)

Oct 3 08:20:09 signal2 postfix/error[28593]: DBBC5702B75: to=<earl.anderson@comcast.net>, relay=none, delay=239973, delays=239966/7/0/0, dsn=4.0.0, status=deferred (delivery temporarily suspended: host mx2.comcast.net[76.96.40.147] refused to talk to me: 421 imta38.emeryville.ca.mail.comcast.net comcast Try again later)

Oct 3 12:50:08 signal2 postfix/error[23322]: DBBC5702B75: to=<earl.anderson@comcast.net>, relay=none, delay=256172, delays=256167/4.6/0/0, dsn=4.0.0, status=deferred (delivery temporarily suspended: host mx2.comcast.net[76.96.40.147] refused to talk to me: 421 imta17.emeryville.ca.mail.comcast.net comcast Try again later)

Oct 3 17:20:18 signal2 postfix/error[18820]: DBBC5702B75: to=<earl.anderson@comcast.net>, relay=none, delay=272382, delays=272367/15/0/0, dsn=4.0.0, status=deferred (delivery temporarily suspended: host mx2.comcast.net[76.96.40.147] refused to talk to me: 421 imta08.emeryville.ca.mail.comcast.net comcast Try again later)

Oct 3 21:50:19 signal2 postfix/smtp[13687]: DBBC5702B75: to=<earl.anderson@comcast.net>, relay=mx1.comcast.net[68.87.26.147]:25, delay=288583, delays=288567/15/0.3/0, dsn=4.0.0, status=deferred (host mx1.comcast.net[68.87.26.147] refused to talk to me: 421 imta18.westchester.pa.mail.comcast.net comcast Try again later)

Oct 4 02:20:12 signal2 postfix/smtp[8287]: DBBC5702B75: to=<earl.anderson@comcast.net>, relay=mx1.comcast.net[68.87.26.147]:25, delay=304776, delays=304768/6.3/0.3/0.7, dsn=2.0.0, status=sent (250 2.0.0 YxL81m02s3RP4Bm0QxL95o mail accepted for delivery)

And I still don't get one. :mad:

And I still don't get one. :mad:

Yours is still in queue for delivery:

Sep 30 14:23:56 signal2 postfix/error[17402]: 27EEE748EEF: to=<REDACTED@comcast.net>, relay=none, delay=0.1, delays=0.1/0/0/0, dsn=4.0.0, status=deferred (delivery temporarily suspended: host mx2.comcast.net[76.96.40.147] refused to talk to me: 421 imta24.emeryville.ca.mail.comcast.net comcast Try again later)

Sep 30 17:01:53 signal2 postfix/error[20668]: 27EEE748EEF: to=<REDACTED@comcast.net>, relay=none, delay=9478, delays=9478/0/0/0, dsn=4.0.0, status=deferred (delivery temporarily suspended: host mx1.comcast.net[68.87.26.147] refused to talk to me: 421 imta14.westchester.pa.mail.comcast.net comcast Try again later)

Sep 30 19:48:30 signal2 postfix/error[10666]: 27EEE748EEF: to=<REDACTED@comcast.net>, relay=none, delay=19475, delays=19475/0/0/0, dsn=4.0.0, status=deferred (delivery temporarily suspended: host mx2.comcast.net[76.96.40.147] refused to talk to me: 421 imta06.emeryville.ca.mail.comcast.net comcast Try again later)

Sep 30 23:50:09 signal2 postfix/error[26238]: 27EEE748EEF: to=<REDACTED@comcast.net>, relay=none, delay=33974, delays=33974/0/0/0, dsn=4.0.0, status=deferred (delivery temporarily suspended: host mx1.comcast.net[68.87.26.147] refused to talk to me: 421 imta21.westchester.pa.mail.comcast.net comcast Try again later)

Oct 1 04:20:05 signal2 postfix/error[22530]: 27EEE748EEF: to=<REDACTED@comcast.net>, relay=none, delay=50169, delays=50169/0/0/0, dsn=4.0.0, status=deferred (delivery temporarily suspended: host mx2.comcast.net[76.96.40.147] refused to talk to me: 421 imta24.emeryville.ca.mail.comcast.net comcast Try again later)

Oct 1 08:50:11 signal2 postfix/error[18967]: 27EEE748EEF: to=<REDACTED@comcast.net>, relay=none, delay=66376, delays=66367/8.7/0/0, dsn=4.0.0, status=deferred (delivery temporarily suspended: host mx2.comcast.net[76.96.40.147] refused to talk to me: 421 imta35.emeryville.ca.mail.comcast.net comcast Try again later)

Oct 1 13:20:23 signal2 postfix/error[14592]: 27EEE748EEF: to=<REDACTED@comcast.net>, relay=none, delay=82587, delays=82569/18/0/0, dsn=4.0.0, status=deferred (delivery temporarily suspended: host mx1.comcast.net[68.87.26.147] refused to talk to me: 421 imta17.westchester.pa.mail.comcast.net comcast Try again later)

Oct 1 17:50:19 signal2 postfix/error[10261]: 27EEE748EEF: to=<REDACTED@comcast.net>, relay=none, delay=98784, delays=98769/15/0/0, dsn=4.0.0, status=deferred (delivery temporarily suspended: host mx2.comcast.net[76.96.40.147] refused to talk to me: 421 imta18.emeryville.ca.mail.comcast.net comcast Try again later)

Oct 1 22:20:17 signal2 postfix/error[5594]: 27EEE748EEF: to=<REDACTED@comcast.net>, relay=none, delay=114981, delays=114969/13/0/0, dsn=4.0.0, status=deferred (delivery temporarily suspended: host mx2.comcast.net[76.96.40.147] refused to talk to me: 421 imta06.emeryville.ca.mail.comcast.net comcast Try again later)

Oct 2 02:50:19 signal2 postfix/error[1345]: 27EEE748EEF: to=<REDACTED@comcast.net>, relay=none, delay=131184, delays=131171/12/0/0, dsn=4.0.0, status=deferred (delivery temporarily suspended: host mx2.comcast.net[76.96.40.147] refused to talk to me: 421 imta30.emeryville.ca.mail.comcast.net comcast Try again later)

Oct 2 07:20:30 signal2 postfix/error[29898]: 27EEE748EEF: to=<REDACTED@comcast.net>, relay=none, delay=147394, delays=147371/23/0/0, dsn=4.0.0, status=deferred (delivery temporarily suspended: host mx2.comcast.net[76.96.40.147] refused to talk to me: 421 imta37.emeryville.ca.mail.comcast.net comcast Try again later)

Oct 2 11:50:23 signal2 postfix/error[25103]: 27EEE748EEF: to=<REDACTED@comcast.net>, relay=none, delay=163587, delays=163571/17/0/0, dsn=4.0.0, status=deferred (delivery temporarily suspended: host mx2.comcast.net[76.96.40.147] refused to talk to me: 421 imta13.emeryville.ca.mail.comcast.net comcast Try again later)

Oct 2 16:20:22 signal2 postfix/error[20394]: 27EEE748EEF: to=<REDACTED@comcast.net>, relay=none, delay=179787, delays=179771/16/0/0, dsn=4.0.0, status=deferred (delivery temporarily suspended: host mx1.COMCAST.NET[68.87.26.147] refused to talk to me: 421 imta38.westchester.pa.mail.comcast.net comcast Try again later)

Oct 2 20:50:21 signal2 postfix/error[15742]: 27EEE748EEF: to=<REDACTED@comcast.net>, relay=none, delay=195986, delays=195971/14/0/0, dsn=4.0.0, status=deferred (delivery temporarily suspended: host mx2.comcast.net[76.96.40.147] refused to talk to me: 421 imta15.emeryville.ca.mail.comcast.net comcast Try again later)

Oct 3 01:20:22 signal2 postfix/error[10582]: 27EEE748EEF: to=<REDACTED@comcast.net>, relay=none, delay=212186, delays=212171/15/0/0, dsn=4.0.0, status=deferred (delivery temporarily suspended: host mx2.comcast.net[76.96.40.147] refused to talk to me: 421 imta20.emeryville.ca.mail.comcast.net comcast Try again later)

Oct 3 05:50:22 signal2 postfix/error[5603]: 27EEE748EEF: to=<REDACTED@comcast.net>, relay=none, delay=228386, delays=228370/16/0/0, dsn=4.0.0, status=deferred (delivery temporarily suspended: host mx2.comcast.net[76.96.40.147] refused to talk to me: 421 imta24.emeryville.ca.mail.comcast.net comcast Try again later)

Oct 3 10:20:31 signal2 postfix/error[832]: 27EEE748EEF: to=<REDACTED@comcast.net>, relay=none, delay=244595, delays=244572/23/0/0, dsn=4.0.0, status=deferred (delivery temporarily suspended: host mx1.comcast.net[68.87.26.147] refused to talk to me: 421 imta15.westchester.pa.mail.comcast.net comcast Try again later)

Oct 3 14:50:28 signal2 postfix/error[28274]: 27EEE748EEF: to=<REDACTED@comcast.net>, relay=none, delay=260792, delays=260773/19/0/0, dsn=4.0.0, status=deferred (delivery temporarily suspended: host mx1.comcast.net[68.87.26.147] refused to talk to me: 421 imta23.westchester.pa.mail.comcast.net comcast Try again later)

Oct 3 19:20:24 signal2 postfix/error[23125]: 27EEE748EEF: to=<REDACTED@comcast.net>, relay=none, delay=276989, delays=276974/14/0/0, dsn=4.0.0, status=deferred (delivery temporarily suspended: host mx1.comcast.net[68.87.26.147] refused to talk to me: 421 imta24.westchester.pa.mail.comcast.net comcast Try again later)

Oct 3 23:50:26 signal2 postfix/error[18230]: 27EEE748EEF: to=<REDACTED@comcast.net>, relay=none, delay=293191, delays=293174/16/0/0, dsn=4.0.0, status=deferred (delivery temporarily suspended: host mx2.comcast.net[76.96.40.147] refused to talk to me: 421 imta03.emeryville.ca.mail.comcast.net comcast Try again later)

Oct 4 04:20:30 signal2 postfix/error[12972]: 27EEE748EEF: to=<REDACTED@comcast.net>, relay=none, delay=309394, delays=309376/18/0/0, dsn=4.0.0, status=deferred (delivery temporarily suspended: host mx1.comcast.net[68.87.26.147] refused to talk to me: 421 imta01.westchester.pa.mail.comcast.net comcast Try again later)

Oct 4 08:50:36 signal2 postfix/error[8163]: 27EEE748EEF: to=<REDACTED@comcast.net>, relay=none, delay=325600, delays=325579/22/0/0, dsn=4.0.0, status=deferred (delivery temporarily suspended: host mx1.comcast.net[68.87.26.147] refused to talk to me: 421 imta16.westchester.pa.mail.comcast.net comcast Try again later)

Oct 4 13:20:35 signal2 postfix/error[2929]: 27EEE748EEF: to=<REDACTED@comcast.net>, relay=none, delay=341800, delays=341778/22/0/0, dsn=4.0.0, status=deferred (delivery temporarily suspended: host mx1.comcast.net[68.87.26.147] refused to talk to me: 421 imta24.westchester.pa.mail.comcast.net comcast Try again later)

etc etc etc

Many thanks for the logs demonstrating what is happening. Now you've given me some ammunition to beat Comcast up with. As you could see from the header, there was no means for determining why the mail was stuck on your side. Now the evidence is clear and believe me, I'll be using it.

Took me about forever to get a call back from Comcast (40 minutes longer than even they had projected), and 10 minutes of explaining to 1st level support that this problem was beyond her pay grade and irrelevant to my personal account, was finally shuttled off to 2nd level support (who can't fix this, either) for another long wait in an ACD queue. Should know better than to call on a Sunday. Will call directly to 2nd level tomorrow (1st was good enough to give me the toll free number), so we'll pursue this again tomorrow when I'm not trying to get somewhere for dinner.

Edited by ecanderson

I tried working with comcast and none of their suggestions worked for me about removing spam filters etc. I've changed to a gmail account to see if that helps. Meanwhile, are the newsletters archived online somewhere? I really miss receiving it :(

The problem is not spam filters. The problem is that comcast is purposely and deliberately blocking the emails.

OK. After yet another 40 minutes in 2nd level support's ACD queue (argh), someone answered who was bright enough not to ask if I'd unplugged and replugged my cable modem, and after explaining the exact nature of the problem twice, we were finally communicating usefully. The correct details of my complaint (with both GC.com and Comcast IP addresses - thanks for those server logs) are included in the ticket, and the ticket is being bumped to the email group with my phone number for a response. Just WHEN I'll get a call is unknown, but at least I am assured of some personal contact before anyone tries to close the ticket.

Edited by ecanderson

It's as an earlier user suspected. It's your sending practices that are getting weekly newsletter mail bounced by Comcast.

FWIW: Your server at 66.150.167.158 has a reputation somewhere between "OK" and "not really". Service blocks are being set up each time it appears you are doing a "directory harvest attack", and the blocks last for 4 hours. Your mail is then being accepted again until it is determined that once again, you are sending mail to too many invalid addresses, then the 4 hour block is being put into place again. Comcast is relying upon a 3rd party to analyze the target address validity, and Comcast isn't of a mind to make individual exceptions, even when they become aware that the sender is not in fact a bulk spammer.

In short, your mailing list is evidently badly outdated. Until you clean it up so as to avoid this problem (how DO you process 'bounce' messages on your end?), this problem is going to persist.

If you do not believe that this is the nature of the problem we are experiencing, please provide any ticket numbers you have open with Comcast on this issue, and I will pursue it further.

Hey there!

Thanks for that! Right back atcha with a fistbump. :)

You were able to find out some good info from Comcast! You'll be happy to know that we have been looking at our e-mail lists for the past few months, working out exactly what to do with these ghost accounts that are messing things up for a bunch of folks. While our engineering team is working on fixing this side of the issue I suggest maintaining a gmail account specifically for the newsletter. Our gmail users haven't had a problem receiving them.

You should be getting 'not mine' notices from Comcast with each "invalid address" that you hit them with (if for some reason this isn't happening, please let me know!). Granted, there are some variations on the theme, but you need to talk to your IT team about using the feedback you are getting from the various large mail servers you are hitting to do some auto-purging. Any time a server claims they don't 'own' the address in question, it would seem (to me, at least) safe enough to purge that account automatically after - say - the 2nd time it occurs.

Edited by ecanderson

So strange ...

Perhaps coincidence, but more likely not...

Posting a day or two after the fact, but just wanted to let you know that this week's weekly newsletter has arrived intact and on time for the first time since August. Whether I just happened to slip through a narrow window where the block was lifted, or whether all of the conversations with Comcast had some new effect, or whether you cleaned up your list a bit --- no way to know from here. But arrive it did, and I'll update next week to let you know what happens with that one as well.

Here's our header information

Received: from imta36.westchester.pa.mail.comcast.net (LHLO imta36.westchester.pa.mail.comcast.net) (76.96.60.170) by sz0065.ev.mail.comcast.net with LMTP; Tue, 29 Oct 2013 02:33:22 +0000 (UTC)
Received: from signal2.Groundspeak.com ([66.150.167.158])    	
 by imta36.westchester.pa.mail.comcast.net with comcast    	
 id iqX61m01L3RP4Bm0cqXA3h; Tue, 29 Oct 2013 02:31:10 +0000
X-Authority-Analysis: v=2.1 cv=V6lEj4Xi c=1 sm=1 tr=0 
  a=jqEjrBFpAwbOS8u16z1AHQ==:117 a=jqEjrBFpAwbOS8u16z1AHQ==:17 a=7g6pdZuhAAAA:8 a=C_IRinGWAAAA:8 
  a=GGcpBh7Jt_oA:10 a=is-NiXZDWAoA:10 a=31XcC5zhAAAA:8 a=pssbuiV2AAAA:8 a=v8fwUGq1qrsA:10 a=3j4BkbkPAAAA:8 
  a=7iRpS-rWAAAA:8 a=ufLb-FYNdtg-rnO0ctUA:9 a=9ABW7EopFlJsaPlK:21 a=nXmJsnuDyDUY8yC1:21 a=QEXdDO2ut3YA:10 
  a=DuyeAHYimBkA:10 a=i8JDfcD9SsgA:10 a=rjoWc_hXL8IA:10 a=NWVoK91CQyQA:10 a=P2G-v-9DqU0A:10 a=SSmOFEACAAAA:8 
  a=54rEGHUhAAAA:20 a=JqEG_dyiAAAA:8 a=bI3pyWTdAAAA:20 a=WnL3AKYMhh6iSIV52iIA:9 a=wacjED4sEHTaDi-G:21 
  a=7d2ADYFb4RokH_ZK:21 a=x_tpRCK4namyqBax:21 a=_W_S_7VecoQA:10 a=frz4AuCg-hUA:10 a=tXsnliwV7b4A:10 
  a=xcjA3Eexsu4A:10 a=G5ta-Dl_ErEA:10 a=p403mkujtbAA:10 a=dRznMrBQYuEA:10
Authentication-Results: imta36.westchester.pa.mail.comcast.net;    	
 dkim=pass header.d=geocaching.com header.b=ePaX8nqU
Received: from PAPERBOY2000.sef.Groundspeak.biz (unknown [172.22.32.34])    	
 by signal2.Groundspeak.com (Postfix) with ESMTP id AEAB26A7097    	
 for <earl.anderson@comcast.net>; Mon, 28 Oct 2013 14:24:17 -0700 (PDT)
DKIM-Signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=geocaching.com;    	
 s=mail; t=1382995457;    	
  bh=8NYXU/GTEq1QY4jSa+3+IKSqv4Tl8mTj64ICLxByHiE=;    	
  h=From:To:Date:Subject:From;    	
  b=ePaX8nqU28gS0tWgWAjStVcyJdlo6ai0nhM/Mfu36pkDGvNQKT38LBmYPCrC/DfJ1     	FbpO2Ik24MEyX8z1Wckx+B2xFKNHuU8+sb4hSEYI7nW4lamx6I0Pjeg2VBD6iN/shM     	Wn/QAPuEI2ZXhk/JNJu2mL0O06/3Nbw84xGvm9Kk=
Received: from mail pickup service by PAPERBOY2000.sef.Groundspeak.biz with Microsoft 
SMTPSVC;     	
 Mon, 28 Oct 2013 14:24:22 -0700
X-Mailer: Groundspeak Mailer

Edited by ecanderson

Hey there-

We did clean up all of our dead comcast.net accounts and we are abiding by all of their rules now. We do see that they are still deferring our e-mails though, so this might not be the end of the Comcast battle. <_< Please continue to keep us updated if you stop receiving them again.

Thanks so much for working with us to get this figured out. We appreciate it! :)

FYI: After receiving newsletters for two consecutive weeks, I am sorry to report that no newsletter arrived this week (sigh). Had to have it forwarded to me by a friend.

So we may be back to square one. What response are you getting from their mail servers? When you were giving the appearance of a directory harvest attacker, weren't you getting some very specific responses from the two mail servers in question - a rather clear 'not ours' message of some sort? Are you seeing those again, or is the response different now?

You'd need to check your logs for the errors being returned from Comcast just BEFORE their 4 hour block goes into place (just BEFORE the "Refused to talk to me" responses begin) to get some clue as to the complaint their server is raising.

Edited by ecanderson

Another week without a newsletter. Guess the two weeks I received them have proved to be an exception to the norm after all.

So again...

You'd need to check your logs for the errors being returned from Comcast just BEFORE their 4 hour block goes into place (just BEFORE the "Refused to talk to me" responses begin) to get some clue as to the complaint their server is raising.

It should be readily apparent what's causing them to throw up the 4 hour block.

Spoke too soon. This one finally leaked out late today...

Received: from imta27.emeryville.ca.mail.comcast.net (LHLO imta27.emeryville.ca.mail.comcast.net) (76.96.30.95) by sz0065.ev.mail.comcast.net with LMTP; Thu, 21 Nov 2013 00:55:49 +0000 (UTC)

Received: from signal2.Groundspeak.com ([66.150.167.158]) by imta27.emeryville.ca.mail.comcast.net with comcast id s0te1m00L3RP4Bm0N0tomT; Thu, 21 Nov 2013 00:53:49 +0000

Edited by ecanderson

Friday - no newsletter this week. Tap, tap.

We were still seeing deferments up until last week's newsletter, but it looked like the messages would eventually make it through. I'm not sure what's going on this week, but Comcast is now bouncing all messages from our 66.150.167.158 IP which is where the newsletters exit our network. Strangely, our 66.150.167.157 exit is not receiving any bounce notifications. I'll try to carve out some time to work on this soon and see if we can move the newsletters to the working IP. It's odd that we were never on their block list before, and now we are. This is your most recent log with your email address redacted:

Dec 2 14:49:18 signal2 postfix/smtp[13716]: 2D66552CC7F: to=<REDACTED@comcast.net>, relay=mx1.comcast.net[68.87.26.147]:25, delay=0.5, delays=0.2/0/0.3/0, dsn=5.0.0, status=bounced (host mx1.comcast.net[68.87.26.147] refused to talk to me: 554 imta32.westchester.pa.mail.comcast.net comcast 66.150.167.158 Comcast Blocked for spam. Please see http://postmaster.comcast.net/smtp-error-codes.php#BL000000)

Friday - no newsletter this week. Tap, tap.

Here are your logs from last week:

Nov 25 11:38:36 signal2 postfix/error[9786]: 0469C6C0779: to=<REDACTED@comcast.net>, relay=none, delay=0.1, delays=0.1/0/0/0, dsn=4.0.0, status=deferred (delivery temporarily suspended: host mx2.comcast.net[76.96.40.147] refused to talk to me: 421 imta27.emeryville.ca.mail.comcast.net comcast Try again later)

Nov 25 12:27:42 signal2 postfix/error[2474]: 0469C6C0779: to=<REDACTED@comcast.net>, relay=none, delay=2946, delays=2946/0/0/0, dsn=4.0.0, status=deferred (delivery temporarily suspended: host mx1.comcast.net[68.87.26.147] refused to talk to me: 421 imta35.westchester.pa.mail.comcast.net comcast Try again later)

Nov 25 13:26:40 signal2 postfix/error[8597]: 0469C6C0779: to=<REDACTED@comcast.net>, relay=none, delay=6485, delays=6485/0/0/0, dsn=4.0.0, status=deferred (delivery temporarily suspended: host mx1.comcast.net[68.87.26.147] refused to talk to me: 421 imta07.westchester.pa.mail.comcast.net comcast Try again later)

Nov 25 15:27:01 signal2 postfix/error[17378]: 0469C6C0779: to=<REDACTED@comcast.net>, relay=none, delay=13706, delays=13705/0/0/0, dsn=4.0.0, status=deferred (delivery temporarily suspended: host mx2.comcast.net[76.96.40.147] refused to talk to me: 421 imta37.emeryville.ca.mail.comcast.net comcast Try again later)

Nov 25 19:25:22 signal2 postfix/smtp[7216]: 0469C6C0779: to=<REDACTED@comcast.net>, relay=mx2.comcast.net[76.96.40.147]:25, delay=28006, delays=27949/57/0.1/0, dsn=5.0.0, status=bounced (host mx2.comcast.net[76.96.40.147] refused to talk to me: 554 imta03.emeryville.ca.mail.comcast.net comcast 66.150.167.158 Comcast Blocked for spam. Please see http://postmaster.comcast.net/smtp-error-codes.php#BL000000)

It appears that we were added to their blocklist sometime last Monday between 15:27 and 19:25 PST.

Actually, your problem seems to have occurred much earlier. Look at the Nov 25 11:38:36 entry. At that point, you were already being refused by the mail server, hence the "refused to talk to me" messages. I believe what you need to discover is what the error messaging from Comcast was immediately after the last valid communication with either their emeryville or westchester servers. You probably have received a error message numbered BL000000, BL000001, BL000010, BL000100, BL000101, BL000110, or BL000111. If you search your outbound logs for those strings, perhaps you can get to the bottom of this.

FWIW, there are some other possible strings. Here is a reference for you for all of the error codes related to SMTP that Comcast might bounce back at you >>> http://postmaster.comcast.net/smtp-error-codes.php

@Hazelnuts

Save your time and forget calling Comcast. Anyone you'd talk to would just put you through a lot of unnecessary questions steps, assuming the problem was somehow related to your PC.

Comcast will not adapt their policy to gc.com's dead email list problem. Their regular tech support folks don't understand a word I'm saying anyway (they work well only at the "Are you using Outlook?" level), and know nothing about anything as exotic as server policies or IP addresses (groan) . It can take quite a while to finally make contact with someone who understands the terminology, much less someone who is able to communicate what they're seeing on their end and why gc.com's email server keeps getting blocked. If you do finally get through to that level of tech support, they'll just explain what's been told to gc.com above .. that they need to clean up their act.

My real concern is that while perhaps Comcast has a lower pain threshold for emails to dead addresses than some other providers, sooner or later gc.com will discover that they're hitting the thresholds of other providers as well and will see more of this problem. One would think it better to get ahead of this problem now while it's still (as far as we can tell here) an issue for just Comcast subscribers.

Happy New Year! :)

Thanks for your updates! Just checked in with the IT Manager and he let me know that they have completed one round of cleaning up the dead e-mail addresses. They are working on the next round and looking at vast improvements in how we handle hard bounces down the road.

Good to hear you're making progress on the list. If it hasn't been kept up, it can take a long while to pare it back down again. While handling the bounces was something that should have been anticipated, I'm glad they're addressing it now. That should prevent hitting the wall with other servers down the road and prevent other users from seeing the symptoms as well. I'll keep you posted weekly on arrival dates as a sort of anecdotal benchmark of the progress!