Sign in to follow this  
Followers 1
ifaref

Caching with Children on the Autism Spectrum

Having just seen the Geocaching.com blog piece about Tony Linberg (aka galdrin), reminded me I've been meaning to see if there are other cachers out there with kids on the Autism Spectum.

My son (6 years old) was diagnosed in May 2013 with high functioning Autism. We've been caching together since January. He loves the time we spend together and recently helped actively retrieve his first cache.

How many others of you have kids on the Spectrum? How do you maximize the benefits of caching for your children? Above all, I suppose I'm just hoping we can support each other.

Can't say that I have any answer for you on that one. It has more to do with the CO's attitude than it does with the answer you're providing, so I doubt that anything could be done to necessarily "convince" him that the log should stand (yobs will be yobs, you know). The best thing I can offer is to see if we can't look for an answer by other means and humor the CO by giving him what he wants. What's the GC code?

Fortunately, D is still only 6, so I've yet to do any earthcaches with him. (We were going to do one on a hike, but he got sick in the car and stayed back in the parking lot with his grandad. I don't think it would have made a difference, however, as I'm acquainted with the COs and I believe they would have let any vague answers stand).

I am supporting an adult with autism with geocaching. Like the students above this is rapidly becoming a special interest. On a recent trip to their home land we went to a small island which was covered with a dozen geocaches...so of course we had to find each one. In fact we struggled with one (finding the location but not the cache) but found the rest. However because of the inherrent communication difficulties we are struggling to answer an earthcache question specifically for the CO, instead monologuing all over the place. I've told the CO that this is normal for this autistic adult, but he is not respecting this, instead threatening to disregard all the correct answers in favour of the last too "vague" answer. This has resulted in challenging behaviour plus plus. Do you have any suggestions as to how to keep the cache logged?