Geocaching Videos

moobit

Hi All.

I have recently started caching and love it! As a YouTube partner and Media Manager for Gamerdads.co.uk, I have a passion for making videos, podcasts, etc. I have therefore used my new hobby as an excuse to experiment with cameras, etc and make some videos of my Geocaching adventures.

I thought I'd post them here if that's cool? I'd love to hear what you all think about the vids, and any suggestions for content you'd like to see made... also, please feel free to post you own videos below - i'd love to see them, and i'm sure everyone here would too! :)

My Caching videos are mainly shot from a "first person perspective" using a GoPro Hero3 HD Black Edition camera, attached to a Head-Strap mount.

For SPOILER avoiders, be aware the videos show the GZ and surrounding area (some will show the history of a site and facts around it), but I will try to never show the EXACT location of the cache for obvious reasons...

Check them out in the playlist below (it will update with the newest videos as I release them), and if you like what you see, please do give me a subscribe on YouTube - I'd really appreciate it! :)

Edited by moobit

Father-Daughter Geocaching Adventure! (How-to find #GC3YB86 "A NICE House"):

http://moobitmedia.wordpress.com
Twitter @moobit

My 5 year old Daughter and I go on a Geocaching adventure -- exploring some woods to locate a very well hidden and very special location -- an original underground Ice House as used by Annesley Hall near Nottingham UK in the 1600s.

The footage was shot using a GoPro Hero 3 HD Black edition Camera set at 1080P and 30FPS.

Made mainly as a show of love for the special times my Daughter, My Wife, and I share (Hi to my Daughter if you're watching this in the future!), the video can also be used as a "how to" instructional video on how to find Geocache number GC3YB86 - "A NICE House".

Look for further Father-Daughter Geocaching videos on my main YouTube channel http://www.youtube.com/moobit.Further information and write-ups can be found on my blog: http://moobitmedia.wordpress.com

Music by Arcane, Fire and Ice
Youtube - http://www.youtube.com/user/arcanefireicemusic
All Rights Reserved.

....Go and give him a subscribe - he's ruddy good! :) Edited by moobit

Daddy-Daughter Geocache: GC2CDK3 - Dando's Spooky Cache (How to):

http://moobitmedia.wordpress.com
Twitter and Geocaching.com: @moobit

A part "how to find", part family video (see my channel for more videos of this type). This video contains SPOILERS re the GZ location, but DOES NOT show exactly where the Cache is hidden. :)

Check out my separate video of the nearby Church and Annesley Hall - a true hidden gem! :)

SHOT USING A GOPRO HERO3 HD BLACK EDITION CAMERA, with GoPro head strap mount, setting at 1080p, 30fps.

Music by Arcane, Fire and Ice
Youtube - http://www.youtube.com/user/arcanefireicemusic
All Rights Reserved.

...Go and give him a subscribe - he's a fellow RPM Network Partner and he's rather good! :) Edited by moobit

Collapsing a Quechua 4.2 Green and Brown tent for the first time!

Full step by step video instructions can be found on my blog: http://moobitmedia.wordpress.com

After a successful weekends "Geocache Camping", my Wife and I attempt to collapse our new Quechua 4.2 pop-up family tent for the first time. With a bit of practice, I think we can do it in about 5 mins real time...

Video is sped up through the "repetitive" bits and plays usual speed for the "collapsing" process to show anyone else who may be struggling with the process!

(Shot on a GoPro Hero 3 Black edition Camera set at 1080p 30fps. The slight "graininess" on the video is due to a post-edit digital zoom - I couldn't use my app to frame the pic as my phone was dead - the joys of camping, LOL!).

Given the blatant promotions, it probably won't end well, perhaps on some other site...

and of course he has all the permissions from the owners (cache and cache site), releases etc.

Seems someone always wants to promote themselves regardless of the effect on others. Time will tell, since once again he is doing it on other sites, but it may dissappear from here. He's free to do it though. We probably won't know either way.

Doug 7rxc

I hate actually going outside geocaching myself - I'd much rather stay indoors and watch videos of other people doing it

And I don't have the energy to use youtube myself - so I need someone to plaster links to all their content on every website I visit - even in their logs on every single cache.

Product links too - in fact why not plaster all your content everywhere so it's always handy, whether I want it or not?

Now where did I put the key for that can of sp@m?

anyone else having flashbacks of poor sven vs. sandy?

Eh, not really. The OP here says he takes care to not show any spoilers, i.e. the cache in hiding. It's getting to be quite the crowded field, as you can see from The Geoaching Network on YouTube which now has 10 contributors. I don't know that the members have any sort of rules, or have come to any consensus, but the two I've seen the most videos of GeoPaul (from the UK) and GCDoc (from the US) will NEVER name the cache, although they do give away hiding spots.

By the way, most of them seem to be doing August streaking videos right about now. :P

If this is going to cause a problem I'll delete the post??

I work for a parenting website-the videos I've been making are mainly to show a bit of parent-Daughter bonding... It also shows a good outdoor hobby that's family friendly - the intention is to see if I can get my friends/people who follow my stuff to get off their arse and have some fun!

As I say in the video descriptions and have been careful to point out in this initial post, I don't show where the cache box is hidden as I think that takes away from the fun of playing - and you don't HAVE to watch the videos...

I already have a hobby of making videos, and now I have a new hobby that I love - Geocaching with my family - I'm just trying to combine the two...

I had the now seemingly false impression that because this section is called "community" that people would be friendly and inviting, and might like to see what I've been up to - and maybe they might like to share some photos/video of what they have been up to as well! :)

Judging by the responses so far, that doesn't seem to be the case? I honestly didn't mean to offend/annoy anyone!! :( :(

I am only a member of this website - no others, and as stated, my intention was to get a friendly chat going/an exchange of pictures and videos about what we're all up to. I'd like to get to know the community and make friends here.

I have only posted these videos here - not on lots of other sites as you claim. I have not "spammed" anyone else.

I have recently joined a local Geocaching group in Nottinghamshire. They approached me out of the blue asked my permission to post my content on their page themselves (which they did), as the members all agreed that they enjoyed them and wanted to share them. Everyone so far has been very encouraging towards the videos - the cache owners are all local to me, know I have made the vids, and are happy that "it would get more people exploring their caches".

With the greatest respect, I would very much appreciate you getting to know me first before you start posting rash decisions about my intentions. Thanks for your understanding. :)

Eh, not really. The OP here says he takes care to not show any spoilers, i.e. the cache in hiding. It's getting to be quite the crowded field, as you can see from The Geoaching Network on YouTube which now has 10 contributors. I don't know that the members have any sort of rules, or have come to any consensus, but the two I've seen the most videos of GeoPaul (from the UK) and GCDoc (from the US) will NEVER name the cache, although they do give away hiding spots.

By the way, most of them seem to be doing August streaking videos right about now. :P

Thanks for your understanding and for pointing out what I was careful to state in my original post. :)

I'm very new to all this, so if you (or anyone on here) know of any "rules" / "Video etiquette" when it comes to Geocaching, I'd love to find out about them! :) Anything you can do to help would be brilliant - I don't want to upset anyone.

The reason I named the cache title in the video is I believe in giving credit where credit is due - these people have been really creative and have placed these things out of kindness - I thought by naming the cache that it would encourage people to go and check it out for themselves - to me that is no different to giving a "favourite point" and a positive review of the cache on the log in the app just like everyone does already - it's my way of saying "thank you". :)

I guess I'm just trying to be logical by doing the above and also making sure I don't show the actual hiding place - only the rough area, as the point of my video project is mostly to show the fun we are having whilst out there searching! :)

Also... Geo-Streaking... sooo many images! #NotOnYourNelly lol

Edited by moobit

I hate actually going outside geocaching myself - I'd much rather stay indoors and watch videos of other people doing it

And I don't have the energy to use youtube myself - so I need someone to plaster links to all their content on every website I visit - even in their logs on every single cache.

Product links too - in fact why not plaster all your content everywhere so it's always handy, whether I want it or not?

Now where did I put the key for that can of sp@m?

Good point, well made - I was messing about with the auto-signature thingy on my app that day - I'll try to remember to turn it off! :)

Thanks for your understanding and for pointing out what I was careful to state in my original post. :)

I'm very new to all this, so if you (or anyone on here) know of any "rules" / "Video etiquette" when it comes to Geocaching, I'd love to find out about them! :) Anything you can do to help would be brilliant - I don't want to upset anyone.

The reason I named the cache title in the video is I believe in giving credit where credit is due - these people have been really creative and have placed these things out of kindness - I thought by naming the cache that it would encourage people to go and check it out for themselves - to me that is no different to giving a "favourite point" and a positive review of the cache on the log in the app just like everyone does already - it's my way of saying "thank you". :)

I guess I'm just trying to be logical by doing the above and also making sure I don't show the actual hiding place - only the rough area, as the point of my video project is mostly to show the fun we are having whilst out there searching! :)

Oh boy, where to start. There was a guy who came out of nowhere (from the UK), and started making very popular videos of other people's Geocacher hides. (Although he was actually more well-known as an internet celebrity for making motorcycle videos) Geocaching.com actually tried to ban him for posting spoilers to other people's caches, and although he had his critics (Geocaching.com among them, of course), he had what I'd describe as vocal majority support from all over the world. He tragically died about a year after he started making the videos though.

Personally, I don't think you should name the caches.

Your posts were a little more spammy then we're accustomed to around here, but not too crazy, and nothing we haven't seen before. How's that for an answer?

Oh, I mean how Groundspeak is having a sort of "31 days of Geocaching" promotion in August, and many people world wide are going on (at least) cache a day "streaks". :)

Oh boy, where to start. There was a guy who came out of nowhere (from the UK), and started making very popular videos of other people's Geocacher hides. (Although he was actually more well-known as an internet celebrity for making motorcycle videos) Geocaching.com actually tried to ban him for posting spoilers to other people's caches, and although he had his critics (Geocaching.com among them, of course), he had what I'd describe as vocal majority support from all over the world. He tragically died about a year after he started making the videos though.

Personally, I don't think you should name the caches.

Your posts were a little more spammy then we're accustomed to around here, but not too crazy, and nothing we haven't seen before. How's that for an answer?

Oh, I mean how Groundspeak is having a sort of "31 days of Geocaching" promotion in August, and many people world wide are going on (at least) cache a day "streaks". :)

Thank you for your understanding and ideas my friend - very helpful! :)

And LOL at "streaking" - I had an image of lots of naked people running through fields after finding caches! :D That explanation makes a lot more sense (but maybe not quite a fun ;) ;D ).

Now there is a project worthy of doing... a video glossary of common Geocaching (and other) terms that evoke either alternate or funny mental images. You would have to of course tone things down for some, and not get too bogged down with too many althernates and don't forget video of the correct mental image. They could be done individually or grouped by subject for related things. Keep it family friendly and informative as well as entertaining. Even the streaking could be handled tamely but clear enough (or out of focus) to be free of complaint. Something like a tame Everything You Wanted to Know About (you know). Woody Allen got that done without too much drama.

As for caching adventures, go for it. But don't give anything away... run of the mill caches are not likely worth doing too often. Really neat ones would cause problems. Check out 4.5lb Walleye thread on this forum... that was done sort of real time and had many of us on the edge of our seats for days on end following along. That type of video is what will get you viewed.

Doug 7rxc

I don't want to post with long quotes above, but no problem, Moobit. And I love the MOOOOOOBIT signature on the videos. I'd say maybe join that Geocaching network on Youtube? And maybe find, and contact GeoPaul for advice/tips, being that he's a fellow UK resident? I don't even know his GC username, I just follow him on Twitter, and watch the videos. :lol:

Here's a video of an event cache. The CO asked me to video it with my DJI Phantom. So far as I know this is the first and only video of a geocache "find" using a drone. I've posted it on the Google+ geocaching community because they are a lot more rule-free than Groundspeak. I don't think there's anything here to offend anyone, but I see a lot more complainers here than appreciators, so you never know.

Here's a video of an event cache. The CO asked me to video it with my DJI Phantom. So far as I know this is the first and only video of a geocache "find" using a drone. I've posted it on the Google+ geocaching community because they are a lot more rule-free than Groundspeak. I don't think there's anything here to offend anyone, but I see a lot more complainers here than appreciators, so you never know.

What???? Why would anyone associated with Groundspeak, or any regular user of these forums have a problem with that video??? You're sounding pretty paranoid to me, dude. :P

Although Groundspeak could use being a little more "rule free". :ph34r:

What???? Why would anyone associated with Groundspeak, or any regular user of these forums have a problem with that video???

Because our esteemed moderator, Keystone, has repeatedly deleted my posts and banned me from commenting on topics even though they were right on point of the thread. In fact, he'll probably delete this one, too.

You're sounding pretty paranoid to me, dude. :P
Even paranoids have enemies.

What???? Why would anyone associated with Groundspeak, or any regular user of these forums have a problem with that video???

Because our esteemed moderator, Keystone, has repeatedly deleted my posts and banned me from commenting on topics even though they were right on point of the thread. In fact, he'll probably delete this one, too.

You're sounding pretty paranoid to me, dude. :P
Even paranoids have enemies.

I did put a smiley after that you know. Here's another. :)

OK, so I assume you were worried about naming the drone that took the video? I don't know man, if I did that, I might have even submitted it to the Geocaching blog, touting it as the world's first event filmed by a drone. I could be wrong, but I don't think anyone has a problem with that video.