Micro's & Nano's

AneMae

You know you can filter out micros when you create a PQ right?

You know you can filter out puzzles when you create a PQ right?

No you can't because then you filter out challenges, chirps and other fun caches that actually do get you out of the house and away from the computer.

I would LOVE to see them gone from the woods. We have some great trails out here around a lake that I like to take the kids on and there are so many micros. There are only so many micros in a tree a kid can find before they are bored to death. I love well done micros and nanos for sure, just hate em in the woods. One or two sure, but 20 in a row, not so much LOL

Could we please ban them in the woods?
FWIW, one of my Favorites is a micro-cache in the woods. No, a larger container would not have worked for that location.

+1

If you don't like micro-caches, then it's easy enough to filter them out.

Ban them because you don't like them? If I have a location, what's the difference if it's an ammo can, a Lock and Lock, a keyholder, or a bison tube, and all they have in them is a logbook? What about the geocaches where the CO is trying to get you to an interesting location, rather than a cool cache? Does the size of the cache somehow make a difference for the hunt? After all geocaching is about the hunt, not the treasure. Yes, a micro in a tree can be a pain, hidden just to make it hard to retrieve, but you really don't have to find all the caches.

Actually you cant a ? is an "unknown" cache, not always a puzzle. Personally I think anything that requires you solve coordinates before you put your bug spray on should be required to have a special attribute or make a whole new icon for it. That way you can truly ignore puzzles. There are still many good cahces that are ? (such as tunnel caches) that one may not want to ignore.

I don't mind micros as much as some of my other caching friends do, but I do think they have their place. If you must hide a micro in the woods, make it an inspired hide. My issue these days are people are just hiding caches because there is space there.

My issue with micros in the woods, if you must, do an average. Don't just throw a bison tube in a leaf pile and glance at the gps and post a coord. Very frustrating to have croods 30 - 40 feet off when dealing with micros in the woods.

Ban them because you don't like them? If I have a location, what's the difference if it's an ammo can, a Lock and Lock, a keyholder, or a bison tube, and all they have in them is a logbook? What about the geocaches where the CO is trying to get you to an interesting location, rather than a cool cache? Does the size of the cache somehow make a difference for the hunt? After all geocaching is about the hunt, not the treasure. Yes, a micro in a tree can be a pain, hidden just to make it hard to retrieve, but you really don't have to find all the caches.

Agreed, but there has been WAY too much junk published lately "because there is space here in this patch of woods at an intersection" aka lazy hides just for the sake of hiding something.

What I think should happen, and this is just my opinion: Nano should be a size category in itself, and do away with the "other" category. I do not think they should be banned, just because some cachers don't like them.

It was supposed to be it's own size by now.

Sick of all the micros and nanos that people think constitute a good hide. Yes, if done right they can be fun, however since 95% can't seem to do it right I call for a ban on these caches.

Will you ban them GS and raise the quality of the cache?

I think that they should be restricted to Canada.

I filter them out and only purposely look for micros that have a lot of favourite votes and recent great logs.

What I am soooo tired of is those people who list their micros as 'small'. Especially when they also write --- no room for a pencil byop. If there's only enough room for a logsheet and you can't even fit a cut down stub of a pencil, it's a micro. If all you can fit is a couple of beads, it's a micro. If all you can fit in is a couple of dimes, it's a micro. If you can't fit at least one geocoin or travelbug tag into the cache, it's a micro.

Edited by Löne R

What I am soooo tired of is those people who list their micros as 'small'. Especially when they also write --- no room for a pencil byop. If there's only enough room for a logsheet and you can't even fit a cut down stub of a pencil, it's a micro. If all you can fit is a couple of beads, it's a micro. If all you can fit in is a couple of dimes, it's a micro. If you can't fit at least one geocoin or travelbug tag into the cache, it's a micro.

+1

I enjoy clever micros and nanos and have had many great hunts for them. They can be a fun challenge in a very different way than an (also very fulfilling) hike to an ammo can. But I'm totally down with people being honest about the size! Isn't the rule of thumb that a "Small" should be able to hold small swag? I think if a small travel bug (dog tag plus small hitchhiker, not necessarily a beanie baby or railroad spike) can't fit, it shouldn't be called a Small. Around here some people list soda tubes and key hiders as smalls.

--Q

Sick of all the micros and nanos that people think constitute a good hide. Yes, if done right they can be fun, however since 95% can't seem to do it right I call for a ban on these caches.

Hey! :mad:

Sorry, my inner troll got loose for a moment.

I think that's an awesome idea, then everyone would start complaining about unchosen and those could be restricted to Canada and then everyone would start complaining about smalls and those could be restricted to Canada and then everyone would start complaining about regulars and those could be restricted to Canada and then everyone would start complaining about larges and those could be restricted to Canada and pretty soon Canada would be the only country with geocaches.

But I'd love to swap you all the Canadian puzzle caches for all the American micros.

Edited by Roman!

:drama:

:lol: Hopefully you recaptured it quickly! ;)

No you can't because then you filter out challenges, chirps and other fun caches that actually do get you out of the house and away from the computer.

You know, unless the final for a puzzle is in your bedroom, they do get you out of your house.

All it takes is a wee bit of brain power.

This I can relate to. Went looking for a 'small' container on a bridge. Spent a lot of time looking in all the spots that could hold a small container. Found it on the second hunt. It'san MKH!

Almost as annoying are COs who list a nano as a 'Unknown'. They are micros.

I cache a lot in urban New Jersey/Manhattan. In most cases, only a micro will work. And, yes, they have brought me to a lot of very intereesting places. I have a fair number of urban micros. They all bring you somewhere interesting and/or scenic (if you like looking across the Hudson River to the views of New York City.) They do have their place, when done right.

On the other fin, there is a lot of (and becoming worse) suburban spew.

But that's a problem of quality, not size.

Yes. I even have a micro in the woods! It's in a five pound bronze statue of a rabbit hidden in a tree stump. The cachers who have found it have enjoyed it. But fewer cachers like to hike anymore,so it does not get as many finds as a guardrail cache on the highway. Oh,well.

Every time you hide a nano in a pine tree god kills a kitten.

Shaun

then why are are there so many stray cats?

They game is one of annoyance, the good kind of annoyance where doubts, difficulty frustration give way to satisfaction. If it were otherwise no one would bother.

So quit complaining and go out and do a Harry Dolphin puzzle, you will never kvetch about a nano again

I'm neutral about micros. I have some containers (bought I think 10 or 20 - not all to hide though), they're about 100ml specimen jars I'll be listing as micro as you can't fit much in though I think technically they're on the very bottom edge of small size. I'll be hiding where they're a nice container for that spot.

I have found a few (not many) film cans and often they're not cammo'd or hidden somewhere interesting, so... a bit boring. Bisons and other less common micros are often better thought out.

But my confession is I LOVE NANOS. I'm happy with those tiny preform tubes used as sneaky/evil hides or as a hide in something - I bought 100! Don't worry, won't hide many, just how prices worked out it was only a tiny bit more than 10 so I figured replacements etc. They're fun, they can be hidden in sooo many ways, some easy, some medium, some near impossible. I don't mind magnetic micros/nanos either, ok finding lots on the back of sign posts would be boring but most I've found have been thought out. I've found them in logs, pinecones and some far less common hides I won't share. And even in plain view in the knot of the only tree around they can be hard to spot.

As well as they're well maintained (ie the owner accepting the log book will need replacing more often), I find them fun.

Although I found my first ammo can the other day, that was felt. Felt more fun than the same size lock n lock would have. Interesting.

Oh, AneMae. It's been a while since your last troll. I've missed you terribly.

As long as you're trolling for attention, let's make sure you get some.

If you hate logging micro and nano caches so much, maybe you should start by not logging your own.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LUID=3744bc93-4371-44df-bc55-49f8130654b3

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LUID=fd7f4f1c-ce85-47af-ac1c-51c44e7b2694

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LUID=fcbc304e-068c-4f1c-b2b9-703700e1032d

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LUID=cd277eb8-898d-45a1-ae5a-386b5c5bd05f

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LUID=31b8bae1-cd04-4dfa-a101-cd990cf96cdc

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LUID=cbb040db-613f-495e-ac4c-9328d467782a

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LUID=2b6fcdab-7d32-40dd-afbc-e159da4bf36d

I think the best part is that every time you log your own cache, the logs read like a) it's someone else's awesome cache and B) you are the best cacher in the world for finding it.

If Geocaching were an Olympic Event I would have the Gold Medal! And the Silver and Bronze as well.

One of the most creative hides in all of Terra Firma. TFTH

This one is complete and total cache awesomeness!!!

Not quite as sad as signing one's own yearbook, but close.

As long as you're trolling for attention, let's make sure you get some.

If you hate logging micro and nano caches so much, maybe you should start by not logging your own.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LUID=3744bc93-4371-44df-bc55-49f8130654b3

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LUID=fd7f4f1c-ce85-47af-ac1c-51c44e7b2694

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LUID=fcbc304e-068c-4f1c-b2b9-703700e1032d

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LUID=cd277eb8-898d-45a1-ae5a-386b5c5bd05f

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LUID=31b8bae1-cd04-4dfa-a101-cd990cf96cdc

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LUID=cbb040db-613f-495e-ac4c-9328d467782a

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LUID=2b6fcdab-7d32-40dd-afbc-e159da4bf36d

I think the best part is that every time you log your own cache, the logs read like a) it's someone else's awesome cache and B) you are the best cacher in the world for finding it.

If Geocaching were an Olympic Event I would have the Gold Medal! And the Silver and Bronze as well.

One of the most creative hides in all of Terra Firma. TFTH

This one is complete and total cache awesomeness!!!

Not quite as sad as signing one's own yearbook, but close.

Ding ding ding... we got a winner here! :laughing:

I like when they created an "I hate Geocaching" blog, and posted, "hey, look at this blog I stumbled on". Allegedly, that is. :)

I think that's an awesome idea, then everyone would start complaining about unchosen and those could be restricted to Canada and then everyone would start complaining about smalls and those could be restricted to Canada and then everyone would start complaining about regulars and those could be restricted to Canada and then everyone would start complaining about larges and those could be restricted to Canada and pretty soon Canada would be the only country with geocaches.

But I'd love to swap you all the Canadian puzzle caches for all the American micros.

No way would I make that swap.....keep the puzzles I like micro's just fine.

One tip I learned early on about Geocaching was to avoid Micro's and nano's when starting out..Really? If I did that in my area I would have less than half the caches found than I do now and I'm only a little over 100 in not even 2 months.

I think allot of owners feel a lock in lock or other larger cache is just to much work and my area is overdone with micro's and nano's.

Although I like them they are getting to be a PITA.