Adopter wanted

I am looking for a London based cacher to adopt my last cache. This is a virtual and has been running for about 11 years. Due to certain circumstances I cannot own this cache much longer.

PM me if interested.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=GC22E5

Adoption is not allowed for grandfathered cache types.

Help Center → Geocaching → Geocaches in General

3.1. Adopting or Transferring a Geocache

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=54

Grandfathered geocache types cannot be transferred to a new owner. Neither the adoption tool on the website nor Groundspeak will be able to make the transfer for Virtual, Webcam or Locationless geocaches. Archived geocaches cannot be transferred, and rarely will archived geocaches be unarchived for the purpose of adoption.

B.

That is a pity. It is such a popular one as it does take the visitor to an unknown historic location.

So what would happen when I am not able to answer the finders of this cache as names are required for logging.

I suppose the only answer is to archive it, which is a pity.

Anyone got any ideas how we can get around this?

That is a pity. It is such a popular one as it does take the visitor to an unknown historic location.

So what would happen when I am not able to answer the finders of this cache as names are required for logging.

One possibility would be to create another Email account specifically for this cache (easy to do), and then have the finders send answers to that account, which could be monitored by another person to respond to the answers; however that person still wouldn't be able to delete bogus logs, or any of the other stuff cache owners sometimes need to do (e.g. temp disable it if someone put a building site hoarding up at the GZ) so it's not really such a good solution.

This what happens when organisations such as Geocaching.com get too big and silly rules are made. For the life of me why and what is wrong for a person to be able to adopt a cach such as this?

When I first started caching it was so simple. Put in co-ords into the Etrex, and go find the Tupperware.

The caches were few and far between. These days it seems that almost every street corner has a micro hidden some where.

My interest faded when some time ago I did a round trip of 150 miles just to find 11 caches.

OK it was interesting to go to different places with friends to find these plastic boxes. But the friends interest also waned and went on to other hobbies.

Age has caught up with me and I am not so mobile. The mind is willing but the body is not. I did start to have another try earlier this year , but I found it was to difficult to clamber over fallen logs and get caught up in brambles.

So that's it. I shall keep that cache going for a little longer and then archive it.

Could you perhaps change the wording on the page to something like, 'Please send a picture of yourself or GPS at the location'. This way, you would never have to respond to the finders and can just forget you own it. I know that it may only be a matter of time before it would get archived for some other reason but at least this would buy it a bit more time. There are loads of traditional caches out there which are being maintained by the community rather than the absent CO. Surely between us, we can find a way to keep this valuable virtual.

Amend the description to:

"Feel free to log once you have emailed, I will only contact you if the information is wrong."

An occasional sweep of 'bogus' logs should help to keep the cache active.

(If obvious 'bogus' logs are left, and you fail to log in to the site, the cache will be archived anyway, GS's way of getting rid of these caches. :( )

Edited by Bear and Ragged

I have a cache set that is quite a long way from home and in order to have it published I had to enlist the help of a local cacher. I set up a 'Message Rule' in my email client (Outlook Express) that automatically forwards any email whose subject line contains the cache's name to that helper. He now receives a copy of any logs on that cache and deals with them accordingly. Maybe you could set up something like that for an 'adopter' whilst still maintaining ownership.

For me, John, the sad thing is that such subterfuge may be necessary.

In its "infancy" I believe GS was happy for virts to exist - especially in areas where land managers refused cache permission, such as National Parks in the US. It was a way the sport would be spread - and therefore become more commercially viable.

Then there appeared to be concern about the quality of virts at every street corner and reviewers were told to apply the "Wow" factor - quite unquantifiable. (And it is a pity they are not required to apply it to pooh bin nanos etc.) This, married to the advent of Waymarking tolled the death knell for the virt.

The worst thing for me is that a greandfathered in virt of such age and popularity, taking people to a quiet (?) square in East London with a very significant history, can not have its future assured because of the no adoption policy. Shame on Groundspeak.