Archived Virtual Cache

W7WT

It is my virtual cache and I will be archiving it October 15, 2013. It was activated October 15, 2002. Virtual caches can not be adopted out. It is in the Olympic National Park up on Hurricane Ridge. I have announced in the NW forum and on the cache page that it will be archived then. I was am 88 years old and wish to archive it. There is a Earth Cache within walking distance of the cache.

It is my virtual cache and I will be archiving it October 15, 2013. It was activated October 15, 2002. Virtual caches can not be adopted out. It is in the Olympic National Park up on Hurricane Ridge. I have announced in the NW forum and on the cache page that it will be archived then. I was am 88 years old and wish to archive it. There is a Earth Cache within walking distance of the cache.

Yes, people can log an archived cache. If the focus of the virtal is still present, there is no reason why people couldn't continue to find and log the virtal cache. They couldn't find the listing by searching anymore, but for those who have the page bookmarked, they could still find it.

I don't log "Found its" for archived virtual caches. Their owners generally archive them (or Groundspeak does it for them) because they no longer wish to verify that the location has indeed been visited. That's one reason why archived virtuals are so often targeted by armchair finders.

Edited by CanadianRockies

I don't log "Found its" for archived virtual caches. Their owners generally archive them (or Groundspeak does it for them) because they no longer wish to verify that the location has indeed been visited. That's one reason why archived virtuals are so often targeted by armchair finders.

That is the very reason why I asked the question. I was afraid the armchair loggers would still try to log it.

That is the very reason why I asked the question. I was afraid the armchair loggers would still try to log it.

What you need to do is after they archive the cache, go back in and try to enter another log. If you can, contact the reviewer and request to have the cache logs locked. That way no one can enter anything else on the cache.

What you need to do is after they archive the cache, go back in and try to enter another log. If you can, contact the reviewer and request to have the cache logs locked. That way no one can enter anything else on the cache.

Thanks to you and Beach Nut, that is what I will do. dick, w7wt

Don't get too carried away; we plan to make a trip over before October specifically to pick this one up!

We haven't met, but hope you are your wife are feeling better after your recent problem.

Thanks, Hope you can make it over to add "High on a Windy Hill" to your long list of Virtual finds. Had the cast off last week but it will be a while before we make it over to Coeur d' Alene to do some great geocaching. dick

Other than the fact that you are 88 you don't say why you plan to archive this cache.

Since you do not need to hike up there to maintain it, are you just PO'd that the Earthcache was published nearby, or do you just want to encourage more people to find that one by archiving yours?

As someone who also owns a virtual cache I am just curious. I feel a small responsibility to help maintain that little bit of geocaching.com history since new ones cannot be listed.

Edited by wimseyguy

Other than the fact that you are 88 you don't say why you plan to archive this cache.

Since you do not need to hike up there to maintain it, are you just PO'd that the Earthcache was published nearby, or do you just want to encourage more people to find that one by archiving yours?

As someone who also owns a virtual cache I am just curious. I feel a small responsibility to help maintain that little bit of geocaching.com history since new ones cannot be listed.

I am very happy the Earth Cache is there so visitors can get a cache and enjoy the wonders of Hurricane Ridge. Right now I am not sure what our future in Geocaching will be.