Scary incident

Cougars? Pfft! Ask an Australia about Drop Bears... That's some scary stuff!

Came in to post this

It makes for some scary reading...

http://www.australiangeographic.com.au/news/2013/03/drop-bears-target-tourists,-study-says/

And just in case you think they are not real, the Australian Museum will set you straight: http://australianmuseum.net.au/Drop-Bear

Um, your first link shows a photo of an animal with giant canines. The second link says that the animal lacks canines and had broad premolars. Of course, everyone that has seen a chupacabra seems to describe it differently.

Um, your first link shows a photo of an animal with giant canines. The second link says that the animal lacks canines and had broad premolars. Of course, everyone that has seen a chupacabra seems to describe it differently.

I did notice that too, but I can't confirm either way having been lucky enough to have not (yet) encountered one of these terrifying beasts. We'll be flying over there and doing a road trip through the red center next month, and down to the mega event, so if you don't hear from me again...

I would not even begin to think that I could fight off a cougar with a pocket knife. If I thought a cougar encounter was a likely scenario I would likely carry a gun (can you even do that in Canada?) or at least some of that pepper spray they make for bears. I think that would be far more effective than a knife.

Ever try to pick up a feral cat that wants no part of it? You'd get cut up pretty good. Now multiply that cat's size 30 or 40 times 😳

you cant carry a gun in a park in canada

I would not even begin to think that I could fight off a cougar with a pocket knife. If I thought a cougar encounter was a likely scenario I would likely carry a gun (can you even do that in Canada?) or at least some of that pepper spray they make for bears. I think that would be far more effective than a knife.

Ever try to pick up a feral cat that wants no part of it? You'd get cut up pretty good. Now multiply that cat's size 30 or 40 times ��

you cant carry a gun in a park in canada

Rephrase that, as you are generally not allowed to carry a loaded firearm in a provincial/national park. Some parks allow hunting to control populations. Kinda hard to shoot something without a gun. There are also permits that allow the carry of a firearm for certain purposes, such as work- if you are in a wildlife area away from the general population, for protection. For example a remote drilling rig...Didn't I post this on the first page of this thread?

I live near CFB Suffield-which allows hunting. And near Cypress Hills Inter-Provincial Park, which allows unloaded firearms(People traveling through, or living there, or staying there while hunting nearby) and has been known to allow hunting within their boundaries, for population control, and recently for, cougar-which have killed small animals, and one has been living in the townsite. And it was not just to get rid of them-there where tons of laws....bent, to get those cats, that where proven dangerous. And if there continues to be a problem, there is talk about opening up a couple cougar tags, in the park.

And it's not national authority, it's provincial(Except of course national parks)

Edited by T.D.M.22