Geocaching Explodes, kind'a old news

JohnX

Just a link to a news story I found.

"The practice recently came up at a Leawood City Council meeting. Council members asked their parks and recreation director, Chris Claxton, if they needed to issue a policy or ordinance to regulate the practice.

“No, it doesn’t need to be regulated,” Claxton assured. “Most of the people doing it are naturalists, completely harmless. They’ll even pick up trash around the area,” she told the city council."

Chris Claxton is my hero! :D

There's at least one county here in Georgia that decided that "regulating" (adding a Geocache tax) would be a gold mine for them. Glad it's not that way in my county.

Geocaching begins with a piece of equipment — a handheld GPS (Global Positioning Satellite) unit, which costs anywhere from about $25 to $100, that you buy at a sporting-goods store.

LOL, I want a Montana in that price range! :)

I'd buy one. The cheapest handheld unit I've seen in a store recently is $100. I wonder where they shop?

I do like that the article is mostly pro-geocaching, but the research was a bit lacking.

Just a link to a news story I found.

My link

Edited to add:

Ack!!!!

After posting I read the entire article. It says Geocaches are buried. Boo, hiss to bad reporting. Boo, hiss to me posting so soon.

It seems like there are a million thoughts all running through the author's head at the same time, and they all made it to the keyboard. If I was a muggle, I wouldn't have a clue of what she was talking about.

Then the geocacher (that’s you) goes to a website, www.geocaching.com. You put in an identifier like your ZIP code, which leads the GPS unit to your longitude and latitude.

Say what?

Geocaching begins with a piece of equipment — a handheld GPS (Global Positioning Satellite) unit, which costs anywhere from about $25 to $100, that you buy at a sporting-goods store.

I'd buy one. The cheapest handheld unit I've seen in a store recently is $100. I wonder where they shop?

Maybe one of those golfing GPS devices...though I can't imagine they are useful for geocaching.

Geocaching begins with a piece of equipment a handheld GPS (Global Positioning Satellite) unit, which costs anywhere from about $25 to $100, that you buy at a sporting-goods store.

Maybe one of those golfing GPS devices...though I can't imagine they are useful for geocaching.

Twenty-five bucks for a fancy-schmancy handheld GPS?! That and the cost of couple of shovels and we're talking about real money! :laughing:

Edited by kunarion