See the Distance to a Waypoint on my Etrex 20?

qtbluemoon

When I'm doing a multi-cache, and I put the next coordinates into my Etrex 20, create a route to the waypoint, I get the purple line showing me the direction to the next point on my map, but I can't tell how far away it is. Does anyone know what steps I need to take to get that information? I currently have the closest geocache on the top of my screen. When the route is a geocache, it tells me how far away it is, but I haven't been able to figure out how to get the same information when on the way to a waypoint. Any insight would be appreciated.

When I'm doing a multi-cache, and I put the next coordinates into my Etrex 20, create a route to the waypoint, I get the purple line showing me the direction to the next point on my map, but I can't tell how far away it is. Does anyone know what steps I need to take to get that information? I currently have the closest geocache on the top of my screen. When the route is a geocache, it tells me how far away it is, but I haven't been able to figure out how to get the same information when on the way to a waypoint. Any insight would be appreciated.

It sounds like you're using the Geocaching Dashboard on the eTrex. When you set a waypoint, the dashboard will still only show the nearest geocache. What you should do is go to the "Setup map" option - once there you'll see that "Dashboards" are selected. Move the selection to data fields - you can pick how many data fields you want, up to 4 (and you can choose what you want to display in each field - like distance to destination, elevation, accuracy, etc.). If I'm just going to one waypoint, I'll often choose 1 data field, and set it up to display distance to destination - essentially, how far away is the waypoint I'm navigating to.

Then you can just switch between the two - the geocaching dashboard and the data fields - as you move between caches and waypoints.

You can also just set up those data fields permanently so they'll work for both geocaching and waypoints.

Move the arrow over the place, cache or waypoint you are trying to go to. You might have to zoom out to see it.

On the etrex 30, from the main menu, I use Waypoint Manager. That lists all (nearby?) waypoints that I have created. (Or, I can use Spell Search, or the map, to find others.) "Ruins" is 1.30mi NE from here. St Mary (the church nearest my sister's house) is 304mi NE.

Don't know if it works the same for the etrex 20.

While both of the last two replies will show the distance neither works well at showing the direction and decreasing distance as one approaches the waypoint. It was my impression the OP wanted to be able navigate to the waypoint and monitor the distance while moving. The only effective way to do that is to switch out of the geocaching dashboard as suggested by redwoodkestrel.

While both of the last two replies will show the distance neither works well at showing the direction and decreasing distance as one approaches the waypoint. It was my impression the OP wanted to be able navigate to the waypoint and monitor the distance while moving. The only effective way to do that is to switch out of the geocaching dashboard as suggested by redwoodkestrel.

for the etex20 it does show direction and decreasing distance when you move the cursor over the point where you want to go. It is awkward if you have to follow more than one point though.

for the etex20 it does show direction and decreasing distance when you move the cursor over the point where you want to go. It is awkward if you have to follow more than one point though.

We use an Etrex 20. When you click GO you will get a map as you mentioned in the OP. Then click the back button which takes you back to the main menu screen. Then click 'compass' and you will then see the compass "needle" as well as the distance from the cache which will decrease as you get closer.