Remote On-Line Caching

Shmitty

Hey all,

A lot of times when I'm not able to get out and cache, I like to get on Google Earth and do some "virtual caching" - you know, looking at the area using street view, panoramia, the gallery pages of the cache, information from Wikipedia, etc. Obviously I wouldn't be able to log these as finds, but would it be appropriate to leave a note on caches I find in interesting places while surfing online?

Edited by Shmitty

Not a super-helpful answer provided above, I'll try to expand. :) Generally it is frowned upon (and there are guidelines guiding us against this as well) to turn cache pages into message boards/forums. Often times Groundspeak will go through and delete notes that have been written on caches - usually when it's excessive, lots of people commenting or two people going back and forth, etc.

However, if you know you can't get to the cache but it looks really interesting or in a great place, I don't think one note will cause too much harm. I know others will disagree - that it takes up valuable space in the logbook (since most of us only get those previous 5 logs/notes/DNFs/etc. that appear on a cache when we download them), we don't want to set a precedent, etc. It's a pretty common thing around my part of the geocaching world for cachers to leave notes on a cache page - exclaiming about the devious new puzzle, or congratulating other cachers on their finds of a particularly tough hide/hike/puzzle/etc. I enjoy it - it makes thing feel very much like a community, and is another way of acknowledging the CO for a great cache.

But, you could also just email the CO directly letting them know that you really enjoyed virtually seeing the area they've placed their cache in. :P

Edited by redwoodkestrel

It wouldn't bother me at all if a person logged a note on one of my caches. Especially if it was because they thought the cache, or the area it was in, looked interesting. But, i have a feeling that i might be in the minority on this. I do see the other point made, noting that it can take up one of the last 5 logs in a pocket query but i don't really see that as being life threatening though. :o

would it be appropriate to leave a note on caches I find in interesting places?

Absolutely! Groundspeak's rules against using a cache page for a discussion forum would not apply to one person, leaving a politely worded note on a cache page. Since even the wimpiest cache page saving / storing software keeps five logs along with the cache page, it is highly unlikely that your note will have any negative impact on those who might be reading logs in search of clues. If you were to worry about that, you could simply change the date of your note so it falls below the most recent five logs. As an owner of several caches, I would be delighted to know that one of my hides caught the interest of someone from afar.

Once or twice here and there, not really a problem.

but...

The logs on a cache page are supposed to be reserved to describe the actual hunt for the cache, and the details of the results.

I would be interested to read comments from a fellow cacher in Andorra who somehow stumbled on my listing and felt compelled to say something...in a

PRIVATE MESSAGE VIA EMAIL.

Perhaps we could even have a discussion about the August souvenirs. :lol:

If it somehow becomes popular to post notes all over for caches you never even got close to, my delete key is going to get a workout. :angry:

Hey all,

A lot of times when I'm not able to get out and cache, I like to get on Google Earth and do some "virtual caching" - you know, looking at the area using street view, panoramia, the gallery pages of the cache, information from Wikipedia, etc. Obviously I wouldn't be able to log these as finds, but would it be appropriate to leave a note on caches I find in interesting places while surfing online?

Sure, I do it all the time. It's called Waymarking. :)

Hey all,

And all this time I thought waymarkers actually visited the locations for each waymark.

I don't see much trouble in such notes but I myself won't do that. Every cache is someone's job, and in many times it's something that introduced an interesting location to me (at least). So, if I know some facts that could be a nice addon to a cache description I would most probably send a PM to its owner.

Frankly, I've never seen such rather specific helpful notes. However I saw many notes/logs from people who were not satisfied with something - description, difficulty/terrain ratings, etc. - complained about some difficulties/troubles they've run into, and so on. Such people usually prefer to talk in public to attract more attention to themselves. I suppose that by posting a note that I consider to be helpful I may find myself in this row.

It wouldn't bother me at all if a person logged a note on one of my caches. Especially if it was because they thought the cache, or the area it was in, looked interesting. But, i have a feeling that i might be in the minority on this. I do see the other point made, noting that it can take up one of the last 5 logs in a pocket query but i don't really see that as being life threatening though. :o

You're not alone. I share the same perspective. And while I am addicted to PQs myself, I could care less about how these logs affect the PQ outcome. If your log is specific and relevant and not creating unnecessary dialog, I say go for it, especially on my caches.

Hey all,

And all this time I thought waymarkers actually visited the locations for each waymark.

The OP was talking about posting a note, but yes. Many Waymarkers log their own listings, but I'm not one that does. I enjoy Waymarking because I can view the site before I visit it. I'm not interested in most Waymarking subjects, but I enjoy history and benchmarks. :)