Garmin GPSMAP 62 - Good choice?

Cujjoz

Hello!

I am new to this community, but I already love it. I want to start looking for caches! Anyway, in order to do so I need to get a GPS device. I have been reading through a lot of the posts here, together with information from Geocaching's website and advice from Google.

Eventually, I think Garmin GPSMAP 62 seems like a good choice. Would you agree, or should I pick something else?

While I am at it, I thought I could ask another question too. I find the whole thing about maps to be very confusing. If I buy this device, do I need to buy maps for each country I travel to? Sorry if it is a stupid or obvious question, but I can't seem to get it.

Besides, any other advice you might could think of that could be useful to me, please share it if you have time.

I look forward to go hunting for caches!

In my opinion the 62s is one of the best all-around units available today. I would opt for the 62s at least. For about $50 more the 62s has expandable memory using a micro SD card for loading plenty of map data, an electronic compass, and a barometric altimeter.

Yes, you will need to obtain mapping either buying Garmin products for the areas and types you want, or download free open source mapping of all types and areas of the world.

In my opinion the 62s is one of the best all-around units available today. I would opt for the 62s at least. For about $50 more the 62s has expandable memory using a micro SD card for loading plenty of map data, an electronic compass, and a barometric altimeter.

Yes, you will need to obtain mapping either buying Garmin products for the areas and types you want, or download free open source mapping of all types and areas of the world.

+1.....I own several GPS units and the 62S is favorite for geocaching.