Bad disgusting caches...what to do?

Bassbully

There is a series of caches in my area all are easy finds and close to home. The issue is they were put out well over a year ago in a geocaching challenge but some are not been looked after since.

I found a few that were ok but some are disgusting in overgrown places, containers are wet, gross with logs that are unsignable... just bad.

I put it in my log that they need attention ASAP or should be pulled.

I'm not trying to come off to the cache owner as a tough guy but come on these are terrible and a true let down when you spend the time and gas to find them.

So Do I contact the owner or just log it and let them see themselves. A few have logged that they need maint but others just say they tried to sign and TFTC...... :angry:

Edited by Bassbully

There is a series of caches in my area all are easy finds and close to home. The issue is they were put out well over a year ago in a geocaching challenge but some are not been looked after since.

I found a few that were ok but some are disgusting in overgrown places, containers are wet, gross with logs that are unsignable... just bad.

I'm not trying to come off to the cache owner as a tough guy but come on these are terrible and a true let down when you spend the time and gas to find them.

So Do I contact the owner or just log it and let them see themselves. A few have logged that they need maint but others just say they tried to sign and TFTC...... :angry:

Just mark them up as needing maintenance....

Post a "needs maintenance" log in addition to your "found it" log.

In my area, the reviewers do periodic sweeps, looking for outstanding maintenance issues. They will post a note on the cache page, asking the cache owner to take care of things, If that's ignored, they often archive the cache.

B.

In addition to your Found log, post a Needs Maintenance log detailing the condition of the cache and what needs to be fixed. This will alert the owner who should go out and perform the necessary repairs. It will also alert future seekers that there may be a problem with it. This is all you really need to do.

However, don't be surprised if the owner doesn't respond to the maintenance request. If this is the case and the cache is really in bad shape, the next step would be to post a Needs Archived log. This will alert your local reviewer who will give the owner a final warning to perform the needed maintenance. If they sill don't respond within a decent amount of time (usually 30 days or so), the reviewer can archive the cache.

In addition to your Found log, post a Needs Maintenance log detailing the condition of the cache and what needs to be fixed. This will alert the owner who should go out and perform the necessary repairs. It will also alert future seekers that there may be a problem with it. This is all you really need to do.

However, don't be surprised if the owner doesn't respond to the maintenance request. If this is the case and the cache is really in bad shape, the next step would be to post a Needs Archived log. This will alert your local reviewer who will give the owner a final warning to perform the needed maintenance. If they sill don't respond within a decent amount of time (usually 30 days or so), the reviewer can archive the cache.

+1

If the container is in rough shape and If there already is a NM that hasn't been responded to in a month or more, I would post an NA to alert the reviewer.

I posted a maintenance needed but then did not get the find. I went back and posted a "found it" but could not figure out how to add a Maintenance log also.

You have to log the two separately. I usually log my "found it" and then post a "needs maintenance" log afterward.

Ahhh.... thanks figured it out before I saw your post. Wish we could log a found and needs Maintenance in one post. Others have said the caches need Maintenance in there found posts but know I see the owner will get notified.

Others have said the caches need Maintenance in there found posts but know I see the owner will get notified.

Very often I don't read all of the Found logs on all of my caches right away, so if a Found log mentions a need for maintenance I might not see it for a while. Especially if someone has done several in my series and I look at one of their logs and it just says Tftc, I probably won't read any more of their logs at that time. Or if they say something more but the first 2 logs I look at are exactly the same (copy & paste), I probably won't read any more at that time. Eventually I do read all the Found logs but it may be weeks or longer. If there is a DNF or NM log I make sure to read it right away and get out and check on it as soon as I can. So the moral of my story is, please post separate NM logs if maintenance is needed and please post DNF logs if you didn't find it.

Ahhh.... thanks figured it out before I saw your post. Wish we could log a found and needs Maintenance in one post. Others have said the caches need Maintenance in there found posts but know I see the owner will get notified.

If several others have already stated that maintenance was needed and nothing has been done I think I would go straight to 'Needs Archived'...especially if the cache has needed help for more than a few weeks. Even more so if the owner has been out finding and hiding caches rather than maintaining the ones already in place.