iPhone Audio Only Plays Sometimes

ATXTracker

I've built a few cartridges with URWIGO and really like the builder. I've notice though, that audio files sometimes don't play, and instead a message box at the bottom of the screen shows the name of the audio file that should have played. I don't think the problem is with the audio file itself, as sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. The below screenshot shows an example, and the URWIGO build portion of the code that is suppose to play the audio. In this case, it is wired up to an action on an item.

NOTICE: In the screenshot from the iPhone, at the bottom of the screen the name of the audio files is displayed "audioTickWAV."

wherigoaudioproblem.png

WAV format ? I never use this, I only use MP3 or FDL (for garmin). Try this. And better place the function call between compare and messagebox, so the sound comes up immediatelly (at the same moment the message appears).

Are you having these issue only after a restore of the cartridge ? There is a known bug on iphone player *). After a restore a boolean variable becomes a value of NULL. In that case your compare (EnableSounds) goes wrong.

*) in a new version these bug has been fixed, but now it contains some other new bugs. :blink:

I will play around with the above suggestions, but I'm not sure they are the cause. I've seen this happen with MP3s as well, so I don't think it is strictly the file format. Also, I don't think it is because the boolean variable is null. I've seen this happen with the most recent version of the Wherigo iphone app, AND the fact that it displays the name of the audio file at the bottom of the screen makes me think it is getting to the play sound block.

Any additional thoughts?

Ok, I figured out how to reproduce it easily. The key is to play a sound in the Wherigo, then hit the home button on the iPhone (little, round, physical button centered at the bottom of the iPhone). Then re-launch Wherigo from the iPhone icons screen, and try again to play the sound.

I reproduced this with a cartridge with a single media item (WAV audio file), and a single item, with a single command that plays that sound.

The good news is it is much simpler than I thought, so hopefully this is easier to fix than bug from a complicated set of interactions bug. The bad news is it may affect every cartridge with sounds on the iPhone.