Bend Cache Machine

travisl

Note: circumstances may change after this initial posting. Look for my posts (with the icon13.gif icon) in this thread for all the important details and changes.

(Link to dinner event cache.)

Rivers, waterfalls, parks, and pine forests: the eastern Cascade foothills welcome you to Bend.

There's so many caches, it was challenging to narrow down a route. I've focused on the core of the city for just one day, but there's enough for you to spend a week.

So fill up the tank, toss down some breakfast at way-too-early o'clock, and start on the route. Sunrise on Saturday, September 21, is at 6:30 a.m., so let's start near the end: GC47KAN Nuts For Power. From there, move at your own pace and get as many as you can.

Dinner's at 7:30 p.m. at Izzy's, 2940 U.S. 97, N 44° 04.776 W 121° 18.270. See its event page for details. A headcount ahead of time is always helpful; please log your "will attends" on the event page.

Note that several caches on the route map may be marked with a "do not enter" icon (icon_disabled.gif). Those cache owners have justifiably asked for their cache to not be on the route, and for the cache to not be sought this weekend. The cache is, in the owner's opinion, in a sensitive area, whether it's environmentally sensitive, socially sensitive, or physically fragile. Just don't get it. It's not like there's a shortage of caches in the area.

Rules:

1) Follow all traffic laws, and drive safely. This is not a race; there are no winners. The only loser will be someone who gets hurt.

2) Respect private property, even if the cache owner didn't. Post your DNFs proudly.

3) One logbook entry for "BCM" is fine for most small and micros. Don't go filling up the logbook just because you want to mark your territory. 100 people's names and dates will fill up most one-sheets. Be kind and bring extra paper to add to caches with full logbooks.

4) As with all cache machines, if you find the cache, you'll be the one who has to re-hide it. Hide it as well as you found it. Handing it off to someone else and pointing down saying "it goes there" isn't good enough. Don't be a jerk. The extra 45 seconds isn't going to ruin your day.

If you’ve already found a couple of these caches, that’s fine - give us a chance to find the cache, and then we may turn to you for a hint. Suggestions and ''Count me ins'' are welcome on the event page.

----

The Bend Cache Machine FAQ:

When is it? When is the start time?

Saturday, September 21, 2013. Start time is 6:30 a.m. at GC47KAN Nuts For Power.

Will it be one large group, will we be split into teams, or what?

We'll start as one large group, but after a dozen caches or so, the large groups will likely fragment, and on a long day like this, you'll probably be on your own by the time most people in town are waking up.

Is anything going on before, during, or after?

• Friday, September 20, at 7:00 p.m., will be a pre-event dinner. Location will be announced later in this thread, once I figure it out. The Deschutes Brewery pub is on my radar, but I'm still working on it.
  • Saturday, September 21, at 7:30 p.m., dinner will be at Izzy's, 2940 U.S. 97, N 44° 04.776 W 121° 18.270. Please let me know how many of you are coming by logging a "will attend" on the event page.
  • Sunday, September 22, is up to you. If you're into power trails, check out the March Triangle Madness power trail, the Millican Road power trail, and, if you have a few days, the Pine Mountain power trail.

A cache on your map shows the wrong place to park.

Hey, that road doesn't exist!

What's with making us ford a river?

Thanks for catching that! Let me know, and I'll fix the route. I've never been to Bend, so I'm counting on advice like yours.

If dinner's at 7:30 p.m., why does the route run way past then? Is this a two-day event?

The extra time is a buffer, in case you're so good that you'd run out of caches before you run out of daylight. I don't expect anyone would be able to hit all of them between sunrise and sunset. Of course, if you wanted to hit them after dinner, or on Sunday, I'm sure you'll be able to find folks to join you.

It sounds fun, but I've already found some of them.

Then come laugh at us, or guess when we'll be at the caches you haven't hit yet.

You don't have X cache on the route. Why aren't we getting that one?

I try to avoid most multicaches, most puzzle caches, caches that appear to be overly time consuming, and caches that the owner has asked us to avoid. Also, with so many caches to find, I've passed some nearby caches in order to get higher-favorited caches later in the rout.

You have X cache on the route, but it's disabled/archived/a two mile hike.

Let me know, and I'll remove it from the route (if archived) or will check with the owner (if disabled).

X cache is in an environmentally sensitive area.

By all means, let me know. I don't want to send 100 people there to stomp all over it.

I disagree with the whole idea of cache machines. I don't want you finding my cache.

Sorry to hear that. It's too bad you've got a neat place to show us that we won't be able to see. Let me know, and I'll remove it from the route.

What's this gonna cost me?

Nothing for the caching. Or, at least, nothing more than it would cost than if you did the trip solo (e.g., paying for your own gas, hotel, and dinner). I'm not collecting any money for this.

Lunch? Breaks? Bathrooms?

There's no breaks in cache machines! Just hold it. :-P Or find something on the way.

Rain? Snow? Landslides? Flooding?

Probably, yes. Do what you safely can, and skip ahead when reality or your capabilities don't match the plan. Be prepared and flexible.

What do the map symbols mean?

Turquoise lines show my suggested route, but if there's a brown trail or grey road that I've drawn in, ignore the turquoise. And there's these symbols:

ce16d180-40c2-423d-a3ab-b976b7b4a2b2.jpg

Edited by travisl

NO PROBLEM, SHOTGUN & PEASHOOTER. THANKS FOR THE HEADS UP. HAPPY TO OBLIGE.

I've placed the following S&P caches on the Do Not Hunt list for my next update, which I'll post after Labor Day:

GCQEN4 B.S.P.S. #4 Summit

GC22FPD There It Is Now What?

GC22169 Bend Travel Bug Motel

Also on the Do Not Hunt list, at the request of others:

GC2X2BK #800

GC2C6HF Carl and Erin's Cache

GCA114 Dance

Also, I'm checking with the cache owners of GCA114 Dance (location may be inappropriate for heavy caching traffic) and GC41ZXZ Bridge Stepping (4-star terrain location may be too dangerous or inappropriate). Stay tuned.

Edited by travisl

NO PROBLEM, SHOTGUN & PEASHOOTER. THANKS FOR THE HEADS UP. HAPPY TO OBLIGE.

I've placed the following S&P caches on the Do Not Hunt list for my next update, which I'll post after Labor Day:

GCQEN4 B.S.P.S. #4 Summit

GC22FPD There It Is Now What?

GC22169 Bend Travel Bug Motel

Also on the Do Not Hunt list, at the request of others:

GC2X2BK #800

GC2C6HF Carl and Erin's Cache

Also, I'm checking with the cache owners of GCA114 Dance (location may be inappropriate for heavy caching traffic) and GC41ZXZ Bridge Stepping (4-star terrain location may be too dangerous or inappropriate). Stay tuned.

I've posted the second draft of the route. If I've missed something you've requested, please let me know -- I'm in the middle of switching computers, and it's possible your notes fell through the cracks.

One of the minor things I lost in my transfer was my previous GSAK database, which isn't a big deal, except I don't know what caches got disabled or archived between August 4 and today. If there's a cache on the route that's been taken out of commission, I'm hoping I'll find out here. (I wouldn't be surprised to see notes to that effect from JHolly's next bookmark list.)

I've been cautioned about the perils of the 4-star terrain of "Bridge Stepping," but after a few days consideration and chatting with the cache owner, I'm leaving it on the route (currently stop 22). It's your choice to hunt it or not.

It would be great to meet up and go as a team (or is that a gang?) I will be doing as many night caches as I can 'cause I love them. I will be attending the dinner on Friday night with Tumbleweed2 and WiildRose. Please find one of us and let's go on an adventure!

Momma Nonna from Pullman, WA. GO COUGS

Edited by Momma Nonna

I see you are focusing on city caches. Looking forward to this cache machine. Just thought I'd add my thoughts. I absolute LOVE the CM's where you have a mix of urban & rural caching, but since I've never been to Bend - this should be fun too. We will have plenty of rural on the way there :D

It would be great to meet up and go as a team (or is that a gang?) I will be doing as many night caches as I can 'cause I love them. I will be attending the dinner on Friday night with Tumbleweed2 and WiildRose. Please find one of us and let's go on an adventure!

Momma Nonna from Pullman, WA. GO COUGS

What about Friday night? I was thinking of doing the four up by Sister (two groups of two). There are 3 right around town I thought of for Saturday night (and one possible about 25 miles south).

GO COUGS

And don't come back! :anitongue::laughing:

Anyone want to team up and do the geo.millican power trail friday?

Sounds interesting, but I'm dropping my wife off at Silver Falls early/mid afternoon on Friday. I'm thinking of doing the Challenge/Mystery 'power trail' up by Redmond, OR that afternoon/evening (then over by Sisters for the night caches).

Thanks, but someone else offered.

Still no luck. I got a link to a google sign in page, though. :huh:

It's a PDF stored in Google Docs. You might have to sign in to Google to get to it. I know it's a hassle, but I don't know of anywhere else I can easily store it that doesn't require a login, and I assume that requiring a Google login will inconvenience the fewest people.

Edit: I just tried opening it in Chrome without logging in (technical: version 29.0.1547.66 in an incognito window) and was able to get right to it. I also opened it in Internet Explorer 9 (on a new machine that's never logged into Google) and also got right to it. I don't yet have Firefox installed to try it.

Edited by travisl

I've posted the third draft of the route. I'll have the final up on September 16.

I've resolved three of the four issues that JHolly observed in his September 1 post:

GCNKBZ - removed from the route at owner's request

GC4AAY6 - removed from the route, because it's in a homeless camp

GC4AEB3 - keeping it on the route. A local cacher agreed to replace it on September 20, if the owner hasn't done so by then.

However, for GC1JGGJ, I'm going to keep an eye on it and decide next Monday whether to keep it on the route or not.

There's been lots of other changes. Here's a shout out to GPS51111, Slow&Velvet, and Ganz Genau for their boots-on-the-ground assistance and local knowledge. I'll tell you all right now -- these folks have already saved you an hour of driving around trying to find parking spots that don't exist. If you count on your autorouting to get you to the right side of the river or to the trailhead instead of a private road, you're gonna have a long day.

Still no luck. I got a link to a google sign in page, though. :huh:

It's a PDF stored in Google Docs. You might have to sign in to Google to get to it. I know it's a hassle, but I don't know of anywhere else I can easily store it that doesn't require a login, and I assume that requiring a Google login will inconvenience the fewest people.

Edit: I just tried opening it in Chrome without logging in (technical: version 29.0.1547.66 in an incognito window) and was able to get right to it. I also opened it in Internet Explorer 9 (on a new machine that's never logged into Google) and also got right to it. I don't yet have Firefox installed to try it.

I'm not that technical...no google accounts, no chrome, no IE9. Oh well. No worries.

#6 GC1H2Z9 - 2 DNF's with a note by previous finder that it's missing.

Dang. I really wanted to start the morning walking that trail, but with a previous finder confirming that it's gone, and the owner inactive since 2011, I have little hope that this will be there.

#53 GC3CNK8 [[GC3CNKB]] - NA posted yesterday

That area looks ripe for development. I'll keep an eye on this and see what happens. Owner hasn't been active in nearly a year. Not looking good.

Did I miss the pre- dinner site for Friday? Been trying my best to keep up but I think I missed something.

OOPS found the info.. duh it's on the routing map.

Good question, and thanks for letting us know where the info is, cos it's not in this thread - until now:

Friday, Sept. 20 at 7:00 pm: pre-event dinner

Deschutes Brewery & Public House, 1044 NW Bond St.

N 44.0596 W 121.3115

(No, I don't know why Travis doesn't provide standard coords for this.) It's not an official event cache. Last-minute changes will be announced at this dinner and in this forum thread.

Edited by hydnsek

Sightings of cougars in Bend, Sisters, Redmond and La Pine are fairly common. There are three to four calls a month reporting sightings of cougars or mountain lions. If you come into contact with wildlife such as a cougar or mountain lion, do not run, but move slowly, keeping the animal in view as you move away from the area. If there is a perceived danger to the community please notify law enforcement as soon as possible.

Good question, and thanks for letting us know where the info is, cos it's not in this thread - until now:

Friday, Sept. 20 at 7:00 pm: pre-event dinner

Deschutes Brewery & Public House, 1044 NW Bond St.

N 44.0596 W 121.3115

(No, I don't know why Travis doesn't provide standard coords for this.)

Oops. Yeah, I forgot to put that here. Thanks. If you want standard coords, that would be N 44° 3.576', W 121° 18.690'. Unknown cache Ale Trail Companion Photo Cache is nearby, and Deschutes is one of the eight waypoints, if you're so inclined.

I've just gotten off the phone with the Community Liason for the Bend Police. She wanted me to be aware that there's going to be three events going on that may impact us this weekend:

1) Oktoberfest starts downtown Friday night and runs through Sunday. We may have difficulty getting into Deschutes Brewery for the pre-event dinner and parks may be unusually busy downtown on Saturday afternoon. I'm still going to try Deschutes for dinner Friday, but we may run into difficulty. We'll manage. http://bendoktoberfest.com/schedule

2) A triathlon is taking place which will have roads blocked in the Northwest Crossing area. Caches 43-48 may require additional time to park and walk to. http://www.leadmantri.com/page/show/391875

3) Neff Road in the area of caches 62-70 will see about 150 bikers arriving for an event at around 10 AM. If you're hitting that late part of the route on Saturday morning, expect delays.

Also, she confirmed with me that the Cache Machine is not a race, and that I've asked everyone to park legally. Please do so. It sounds like Bend is going to be a busy place this weekend!

Edited by travisl

In the spirit of full disclosure, I inadvertently left 'the second third butte' in my database when I made the bookmark. I have stood in the corner contemplating my errors and have now fixed the bookmark. If you downloaded it anytime since I posted it and about about noon today you will have an extra cache in the download. I suppose this less traumatic than coming up short one cache.

When I was a young girl living in Hood River a cougar wandered into downtown Hood River. A man shot the cougar. He was criticized for killing the cougar but it was near a school. It was just an old cougar looking for food. It was displayed for a long time. Not sure what happened to it. If you visit the man's grave in Hood River Heights cemetery there is a photo on the man's gravemarker of him, his gun and the dead cougar.

Hi everyone! Came to Bend today and had a few hours to do some caching, so thought I'd hit part of the route. Anyway, heads up because Reed Market Rd. is closed to through traffic at 15th Street with a detour in place. This affects caches 81, 82, 83, and 84. I could not find any way to get to them. I was able to swing around and grab 80 (I DNF'd 79 but made it to GZ).

Anyway, it was a beautiful day and I reall enjoyed the virtual at the top Pilot Butte State Park. The views on this lovely sunny day were awesome. Guess the weather isn't planning on holding though. Oh well.

See you all on the trail somewhere...

Reed Market Rd. is closed to through traffic at 15th Street with a detour in place. This affects caches 81, 82, 83, and 84. I could not find any way to get to them.

Were you coming in from the east? In that case, yeah, that's blocked off due to construction. Reed Market is closed east of Shadowood; I'd scratched out that road on the map to show that you can't drive on it.

If you were approaching from the west, even through Reed Market was closed to through traffic, you still should have been able to get to 81-83 at the Larkspur Park Senior Center, and 84 on Teakwood Road. At least, that's my understanding according to this announcement ("The first stage [is] complete and open to traffic Friday, September 6. Reed Market will be open from Newberry Drive (Senior Center) to Teakwood Drive.") and this project description ("Stage 1: ... During this stage, Reed Market will be closed from Newberry Drive to the west side of Shadowood Drive")

If Reed Market is still closed to local traffic, then the detour would be to go one block further south on 15th and sneak in via Twin Lakes Loop.

(Edit: adding link to Google map for context)

Edited by travisl
Reed Market Rd. is closed to through traffic at 15th Street with a detour in place. This affects caches 81, 82, 83, and 84. I could not find any way to get to them.

Were you coming in from the east? In that case, yeah, that's blocked off due to construction. Reed Market is closed east of Shadowood; I'd scratched out that road on the map to show that you can't drive on it.

If you were approaching from the west, even through Reed Market was closed to through traffic, you still should have been able to get to 81-83 at the Larkspur Park Senior Center, and 84 on Teakwood Road. At least, that's my understanding according to this announcement ("The first stage [is] complete and open to traffic Friday, September 6. Reed Market will be open from Newberry Drive (Senior Center) to Teakwood Drive.") and this project description ("Stage 1: ... During this stage, Reed Market will be closed from Newberry Drive to the west side of Shadowood Drive")

If Reed Market is still closed to local traffic, then the detour would be to go one block further south on 15th and sneak in via Twin Lakes Loop.

(Edit: adding link to Google map for context)

I came from the west. I did see signs the senior center was open, but I followed the detour signs and couldn't see how to get to those caches. I probably missed the sneak around, trying to follow the signage and not get somewhere I didn't feel I was supposed to be. Oh well, you all will probably have better luck - and maybe the construction won't be going on on Saturday in the rain?