All you have to do is sign the log sheet

Ma & Pa

A friend of mine has just made all of his caches PMO for this very issue. He found his caches not replaced in their hiding spots, just out in the open on the ground or put back willy nilly. He found that the people not replacing them are newer NON premium members. The person who didn't replace this cache appears to be non premium as well.

I'm sure this will follow with the whole PMO vs NON PMO but perhaps it's something to consider on a placement such as this cache.

I'm generally an opponent of PMO's, but I don't think you're out of line at all with this suggestion. The guy is a clueless n00b (and a militant one, too), and as someone pointed out in the first few posts, his last "find", is a find log on his own cache during a maintenance visit.

Slightly off-topic. I'll tell you what. If it ever gets to the point where the Majority of Geocaching find logs are two word or less lame smartphone logs, most usually characterized by Tftc, all my caches are going premo. :P

The cacher very well may have intended on replacing it. Perhaps he tried to use a long pole with a hook to grab it and did not know it was screwed in. Allowing finds by people who show up and throw a party below without helping at all, then blaming someone for actually trying is ridiculous.

Perhaps he flew up on angels wings. Perhaps he knocked it down with a well thrown rock, that would be another way to "try" as well. Who knows? Certainly no way of telling from his log entires, and his attitude in those don't really make me inclined to grant the benefit of the doubt. But I'm not saying you can't. I really don't know how he got it down, he choose not to explain what happened. He just said it was down, someone go replace it.

I doubt anyone would have reacted negatively at all had he stated that that he intended to replace it all along or seemed the least bit sorry that he wasn't able to do so. But hey, at this point what's the difference? If you don't personally have a problem with it, good. I'm not trying to change anyones mind here, just stating my own personal opinion. If you think I'm wrong, or stupid for holding that opinion, that's fine.

I do agree that having people congreate and let them claim a find that they couldn't possibly have retrieved on their own is silly. Is a smiley and one more find on your record that important? I don't think that is any more of an accomplishment than knocking the thing down with a sling shot would be, probably less so.

Out of the 42 finds, there were only 6 attempts at climbing the pole. Another 6 people found it when it was left on the ground. It should have been tethered and if it wasn't, that is completely the fault of the cache owner. I don't know how it was brought down, but since there was such a large amount of finds from not doing anything at all, a new cacher may reasonably believe that they could do the same. Making him a scapegoat is wrong IMO. The owner should have simply put it back up somehow without all of the whining. The resulting comments from the new cacher is only in response to the whinefest about what he did. If everyone that posted finds somehow lent some kind of a hand in finding it, things would be a bit different. I don't know how his comments can be taken so seriously, when the "finders" were not serious at all about how they found it.

I believe that the cache was secured to the pole. The mitch guy came along and knocked it lose somehow. He then logged that he got it but didn't put it back where he found it. The guy should not have retrieved the cache without having a way of putting it back. I'm not sure why anyone would blame the CO on this one. It would have been different if the finder had said something like sorry, i thought i could get it back in place, or sorry, i broke the cache. He didn't offer up anything but a "i got it, couldn't put it back, you need to fix it" log.

Yes, the CO could have gone back out and repaired it but that really doesn't matter. The cache was his to do with what he pleased. Like the CO, i guess i'm just naive in expecting more from my fellow humans.

The pole had 2 guy wires and it was tethered to the top. He did not knock it loose by shaking it, nor by throwing an object 30 feet up at it. He most likely used a stick, ladder, or both, and only afterwards realized he could not put it back up.

But now there are dozens of cachers who simply sat around at the bottom and waited for it to handed down to them for their "find" who are upset that he could not place it back. If it was on the ground and he left it out in the open it would be different, but placed at the very top of a utility pole is asking for trouble. The CO did not secure it properly and should suck it up. This is kind of like the guy who hides a glass mason jar in a rockpile and gets upset when the inevitable occurs. Yes, the finder could be apologetic, but archiving the cache and throwing a temper tantrum, as well as blaming him on the page of the new hide is unsportsmanlike also.

I believe that the cache was secured to the pole. The mitch guy came along and knocked it lose somehow. He then logged that he got it but didn't put it back where he found it. The guy should not have retrieved the cache without having a way of putting it back. I'm not sure why anyone would blame the CO on this one. It would have been different if the finder had said something like sorry, i thought i could get it back in place, or sorry, i broke the cache. He didn't offer up anything but a "i got it, couldn't put it back, you need to fix it" log.

Yes, the CO could have gone back out and repaired it but that really doesn't matter. The cache was his to do with what he pleased. Like the CO, i guess i'm just naive in expecting more from my fellow humans.

The person who knocked the cache off the pole has lost one of his own caches. He blames the last person to claim a find who happened to be the CO of the Pole Vault cache. The FOUND log is no longer there but I am unsure who deleted it.

So the story continues

http://coord.info/GLBYM0RV

The CO acted irresponsible by hiding a cache without any plan to maintain it. All of the "finders" who logged it without any plan to climb the pole are acting silly, as well as the guy who knocked it down without any plan to replace it. Sounds like a lot of non thought went into this one..

I'm going with this one.

The person who knocked the cache off the pole has lost one of his own caches. He blames the last person to claim a find who happened to be the CO of the Pole Vault cache. The FOUND log is no longer there but I am unsure who deleted it.

So the story continues

I see he hasn't disabled the cache, even though he's verified it's missing. People are still looking for it. Kind of makes me glad I don't cache in that area.

So the story continues

I see he hasn't disabled the cache, even though he's verified it's missing. People are still looking for it. Kind of makes me glad I don't cache in that area.

He is relatively new. But it is now replaced

Fact is, it wouldn't be as bad if the guy didn't act like a total jerk about it. He stated he got it without climbing, stated that it was now in fact broken, and then stated he didn't break it. Obviously, he did something to get it down, and that's what broke it. I don't know about you guys, but when I'm out finding a geocache, I'm careful with it and make sure it's placed properly. I do this, because of the many I've put out, I'm thankful I've not had to perform a lot of maintenance on them because the locals around here are competent people. Saying crap like "stop crying" is just making him out to be an immature brat.

Some caches are hard to get. That doesn't mean you should break them. You could simply ignore them. I found four today that required a boat, bushwhacking for miles, treading water for miles, and scaling a cliff. Would I do it again? Hell no. I should have just ignored them. I'm in a lot of pain right now. But, I'm not gonna go bash the CO of any of those caches. There's a difficulty level, a terrain level, a description, and attributes for this very reason. People need to grow up.

Fact is, it wouldn't be as bad if the guy didn't act like a total jerk about it. He stated he got it without climbing, stated that it was now in fact broken, and then stated he didn't break it. Obviously, he did something to get it down, and that's what broke it. I don't know about you guys, but when I'm out finding a geocache, I'm careful with it and make sure it's placed properly. I do this, because of the many I've put out, I'm thankful I've not had to perform a lot of maintenance on them because the locals around here are competent people. Saying crap like "stop crying" is just making him out to be an immature brat.

Some caches are hard to get. That doesn't mean you should break them. You could simply ignore them. I found four today that required a boat, bushwhacking for miles, treading water for miles, and scaling a cliff. Would I do it again? Hell no. I should have just ignored them. I'm in a lot of pain right now. But, I'm not gonna go bash the CO of any of those caches. There's a difficulty level, a terrain level, a description, and attributes for this very reason. People need to grow up.

What do you mean, you wouldn't do it again? Those are the things that make caching fun! Well, not sure about the treading water for miles. :o

What do you mean, you wouldn't do it again? Those are the things that make caching fun! Well, not sure about the treading water for miles. :o

It was a horrible island that caused us to maneuver through massive trees acting as cages that were knocked down as we bushwhacked from one side of the island to the other. Legs are torn to shreds and have some deep cuts on my arms. We thought it would be easier to take the shore, until the shore turned into not a shore. My father swam, and I had to scale up a cliff, up another cliff, and down a third cliff without any climbing equipment so that our cell phones in my back pack didn't get ruined. What should have taken three hours took seven. It was just a horrible day all together, but hey. Making memories. If I could go back, we would have just canoed around the island and picked up the caches as we went. At least then, I wouldn't be a 23 year old complaining about back pains today.