August Souvenirs

Zaise

Alright, since I am one of the few people that actually want all 31 August Souvenirs (does this make me a newbie?), my question is as follows, I'll be in an area where there will be caches, but no way for me to get internet connection while I am there. If I back log the caches I find the to apropriate date during the month of August, will I get that souvenir?

Thanks!

-Zaise

Alright, since I am one of the few people that actually want all 31 August Souvenirs (does this make me a newbie?), my question is as follows, I'll be in an area where there will be caches, but no way for me to get internet connection while I am there. If I back log the caches I find the to apropriate date during the month of August, will I get that souvenir?

Thanks!

-Zaise

I forward logged a couple to try and that works so I'd say it's safe to assume that yes you will get them.

PS: I too am going after all 31 and I have more than a few finds, don't let the forum regulars scare you, they're just a bunch of grumpy old-timers reminiscing about the good old days 10 years ago.

Edited by Roman!

Thanks!

-Zaise

I forward logged a couple to try and that works so I'd say it's safe to assume that yes you will get them.

PS: I too am going after all 31 and I have more than a few finds, don't let the forum regulars scare you, they're just a bunch of grumpy old-timers reminiscing about the good old days 10 years ago.

Hey Roman! thanks for advice, and the confidence that I'm not the only one going after the souvenirs.

Cheers,

Zaise

there is no rule that say anything about you need to log any finds at the same date as they are found,

you can offcourse go offline for several weeks, like on vacation, find caches every day, get back home online

and log them all as found the correct dates as you found them,

and then you offcourse get the correct souvenirs.

Logging finds with intentional WRONG dates is not a game I recommend you start to play,

since it is NO fun at all.

There are also no maximum time for a delayed online log,

my record is 3 years, no kidding..

PS: we are MANY here in Danmark, who go for all 31 souvenirs

heck we even play a game on facebook, who is the first every day to post a picture of their new souvenir :-)

and my wife got her own new profile, so she can go out and try to get her own 31 days steeak,

alot of geocachers who dont really play the steeak-game, actually started it this august, a goal of just 31

is possible for most people, so why not try it.

>When you log the cache, you just have to change the date to the day it was found.

you can CHANGE a log, and correct a date

and you can also just input the correct found date, no matter what date it is, you do the logging online

Edited by OZ2CPU

My hubby and I are another couple of "non-newbies" (1000 finds, three years) who are going for the August streak We've had a lot of fun so far planning our strategy and going out each day, and we know some days will be a challenge if we come home tired from work, and on nights when we go to our dog Agility classes and will have to pick one up while we're out in the area of class, but that's all part of the challenge. I posted a plain picture for my first two, but starting with Day Three I had an idea to post a weather app photo for my picture, thus I'll also have a streak of gallery photos showing the daily weather for that month of caching. (Okay, so it's South Texas. They'll probably all be identical 90+ degree days one after another! :laughing: )

What the OP is doing is perfectly legit.

All the cheesy ways of "cheating," like making the finds all one day and logging them with different dates, stc., are...well, cheesy and sort of what's-the-point. How can anyone get a sense of satisfaction from that?

I was kind of excited about this whole August streak souvenirs things, and when I came to the forums was utterly taken aback by all the vitriol surrounding it. :blink: But hey, everyone has the right to their opinions, and there were some points made I hadn't thought of, so to each their own.

A couple of years ago I did a July streak, just as a challenge to myself. It was fun and I enjoyed it. This one is the same, with a little extra reward!. I think it's great fun, and I thank GS for the incentive!

--Q

I was kind of excited about this whole August streak souvenirs things, and when I came to the forums was utterly taken aback by all the vitriol surrounding it. :blink: But hey, everyone has the right to their opinions, and there were some points made I hadn't thought of, so to each their own.

A couple of years ago I did a July streak, just as a challenge to myself. It was fun and I enjoyed it. This one is the same, with a little extra reward!. I think it's great fun, and I thank GS for the incentive!

I think a lot of the vitriol is because you really don't need 31 souvenirs to encourage people to go on a caching streak. If they wanted to have a seasonal promotion and award a souvenir for anyone who did manage to cache on all 31 days of August that would be one thing (despite still being easy to cheat it would mark something specific), but when you get a souvenir for every day you cache for a month all it does is smother a souvenirs page with loads of them.

Personally I'll take on a challenge if I think it will be fun. Having dozens of graphics on a page I rarely view doesn't do anything to change how much fun something might be.

All the cheesy ways of "cheating," like making the finds all one day and logging them with different dates, stc., are...well, cheesy and sort of what's-the-point. How can anyone get a sense of satisfaction from that?

I recently learned of a practice some people use where they visit and gather information for a Virtual or Earthcache, but wait to log it until a later date where the find could be more useful, like filling in a blank date on the calendar. I find this no different than logging a physical cache on a different date than the actual find. Cheesy, lame, dishonest.

I recently learned of a practice some people use where they visit and gather information for a Virtual or Earthcache, but wait to log it until a later date where the find could be more useful, like filling in a blank date on the calendar. I find this no different than logging a physical cache on a different date than the actual find. Cheesy, lame, dishonest.

If people want to lie to themselves like that, it's up to them. I personally couldn't live with myself if I did that.

I'm all for filling in calendars and such like, but it wouldn't mean much to me if I knew the dates had been messed with.

Edited by Kacher82

If you publish through GSAK using your GPSr find logs, find dates and times will automatically be preserved in the posted logs.

I've only recently begun using this setup. Pretty cool!

I'm supposed to be getting an Etrex 20 in the mail, and looking forward to trying that out. I've mostly logged from the website, and recently done some logging through GSAK, when I have several to log. Working pretty nice so far.

Absolutely agree. I don't let it bother me but can't figure out why someone would manipulate dates for souvenirs or a challenge or any reason.

On a more positive note, I am enjoying this August streak thing. Several of our local cachers have organized Flash Mob events on every day of the month which could be one way to keep a streak intact, but I am loving getting together each night with friends. Each night has a different theme so it makes it more fun. I still feel compelled to find an actual container so these events are in addition to grabbing a traditional, multi or puzzle cache. Oh, and our dog loves to visit everyone too tongue.gif

Oh, yeah! So true!

Oh--ahem--that's right...I did that in a way. I *really* wanted Rim to Rim to be my 1000 milestone cache, so I waited a bit to send in my answers to the cerebral portion of the cache (having already done the physical part). That's the only cache I've ever logged even vaguely "out of order," and yeah...pure vanity / "oh the coolness of it!" on my part. I guess that is a bit cheesy! :yikes:

*sigh* Guess I shouldn't be so judge-y. But hey, with this August souvenir streak, *I'll* know that I did it by actually going out and finding a cache each day, no fudging, and that gives me satisfaction. I...suppose....if someone finds satisfaction in *not* completing the streak that way but still having the souvenirs....or from logging finds on different dates so as to not have their souvenir page "cluttered"...then I guess each person has to decide where to draw their "Nah, that's *too* lame!" line. :ph34r:

--Q

I don't want to collect all of them but if it makes you happy then more power to you.

I am stoked that I can get one on my birthday later this month :P

I got one for my birthday, too! 8-8. I visited an ammo can and launched a new trackable to boot. :anicute:

But now my precious birthday souvenir is just one of (soon to be) 31. D'oh. :blink:

But hey, with this August souvenir streak, *I'll* know that I did it by actually going out and finding a cache each day, no fudging, and that gives me satisfaction.

My sentiments exactly. I won't have earned any souvenirs simply by signing a log sheet at an event, either.

Forgot to mention, I enjoy events and have really had a great time with new and old friends at the local Flash Mob events, however, the purist in me compels me to find a "real" cache every day too cool.gif

Another cacher who likes this 31 days of caching for August. I was just wondering. I have all 17 so far. Sooooo, if we do all 31 will we get another one for the "31 Days of Caching completed"??? Anyone know???

It would be nice if they could be exchanged at the end of the month for a “Completed the 31 days of Geocaching" souvenirs.

Another cacher who likes this 31 days of caching for August. I was just wondering. I have all 17 so far. Sooooo, if we do all 31 will we get another one for the "31 Days of Caching completed"??? Anyone know???

It would be nice if they could be exchanged at the end of the month for a “Completed the 31 days of Geocaching" souvenirs.

When I started this challenge I thought it would be one souvenir for successfully completing all 31. I was rather taken aback by a souvenir on the first day then realized I hadn't read the description of the challenge properly. I would really like to trade the 31 daily souvenirs for one "Challenge Completed" souvenir.

When I started this challenge I thought it would be one souvenir for successfully completing all 31. I was rather taken aback by a souvenir on the first day then realized I hadn't read the description of the challenge properly. I would really like to trade the 31 daily souvenirs for one "Challenge Completed" souvenir.

I thought it would be a great idea if they put souvenirs in 'BOOKS'. So the souvenir page would have a book called USA and you click on it and you see the state souvenirs you got. Another book could be AUGUST 2013 and you click on it and you see the souvenirs you have for that month. There could be other books for other collections, i.e. CANADA, ASIA, EUROPE, SPECIAL DAYS.

Edited by Ma & Pa

If people want to stick to the rules verbatim that's just fine. But you have to remember that not all cachers live in an area with a heavy cache density, so to have them go for a cache-a-day is asking a bit much. I myself live in a rural community where the nearest cache to me now is about a 30 minute drive, and getting further. Driving an hour each day is unreasonable, expensive and not very environmental friendly.

I myself have been splitting the difference and going out every few days. Yesterday I picked up 4 caches, I'll wait until I've logged them and then go out again and pick up a couple more.

I'm happy in doing that, I try and keep to the spirit of the game as best as I can, and the best part. . . it's getting me out of the house a lot more. ;)

Edited by Diemanca

If people want to stick to the rules verbatim that's just fine. But you have to remember that not all cachers live in an area with a heavy cache density, so to have them go for a cache-a-day is asking a bit much. I myself live in a rural community where the nearest cache to me now is about a 30 minute drive, and getting further. Driving an hour each day is unreasonable, expensive and not very environmental friendly.

I myself have been splitting the difference and going out every few days. Yesterday I picked up 4 caches, I'll wait until I've logged them and then go out again and pick up a couple more.

I'm happy in doing that, I try and keep to the spirit of the game as best as I can, and the best part. . . it's getting me out of the house a lot more. ;)

That's completely fine too. People that complain about that are just too hard up in their own game. It's all about our own perception and fun.

I am an "old timer", both in age and in Geocaching and I am going for all 31 souvenirs-mainly because I enjoy a challenge. Besides, I like to look at the souvenirs and reflect back at all of the places I have been. Isn't that what a souvenir is, anyway? When I saw this, I decided to challenge myself to do this. I have a hard time going Geocaching because I mainly cache by myself. This August, I happened to be in several different states, so the area was totally unfamiliar to me-not to mention, there has been so much rain in August. It was so hard caching in pouring rain and trying to follow a GPSr on roads that you were unfamiliar with. So far, I am 21 for 21 days and I hope I will be able to continue for all 31 days. This is saying a lot because I find myself getting more terrible at being able to find a cache, or perhaps it is that the Geocacher that hid the cache is getting much more clever. :ph34r:

I am sticking to the spirit of the challenge, going out once a day to find a cache. It is not very environmentally friendly, I agree, because where we'd drive out 20 miles and pick up 10 or 12 in an afternoon we're now driving those 20 miles every day for 10 or 12 days.

I completely agree that the 31 souvenirs should be exchangeable for a single one, adding a separate 17.08. souvenir. If this will not happen, then the ones who completed the full challenge should get an additional, more detailed (and nicer) souvenir as a reward. Thank you.

Yes I'd be glad to trade the 31 souvenirs in for one nicely designed one for the whole month. Would clean up the clutter on the souvenir page.

I completely agree that the 31 souvenirs should be exchangeable for a single one, adding a separate 17.08. souvenir. If this will not happen, then the ones who completed the full challenge should get an additional, more detailed (and nicer) souvenir as a reward. Thank you.

Yes I'd be glad to trade the 31 souvenirs in for one nicely designed one for the whole month. Would clean up the clutter on the souvenir page.

Ditto

The only use I have for souvenirs is to help fulfill the requirements for certain challenge caches. So, I'd pass on any offer to swap 30 or 31 souvenirs for a single one.

I hadn't intended on trying to get all the August 2014 souvenirs but have been traveling during the first couple weeks in the month and have achieved 3 of them. For the explorer souvenirs I found a traditional cache located near the field where the "Friday Night Lights" tv show was filmed. I could see the field from my hotel room so walked over to find a cache. For the collector souvenir I did a web cam at the Alamo in San Antonio. I'm now in Costa Rica and went up to see Poas Volcano a couple of days ago where I did an Earthcache from a spot that looks into the active crater. I could probably manage to get the Multi and Puzzle souvenirs next week when I'm back at home but there are no events in the area and I'll be spending the last week of the month at Disneyworld where there are only a few virtual caches so I doubt I'll get all of them.