Parking?

Topic description says it all. I have a spot I want to place a cache but there really isn't a good place to park for well over 1/4 to 1/2 mile away - or maybe more. Not sure where the nearest public parking might be. Parking on the shoulder is a possibility. It seems like parking is either an issue that is self explanatory or the CO suggests a location. Here, I have no idea what I am going to. Maybe just tell the cachers, "good luck" and "plan on walking a good long way from wherever you park." I'm not required to figure this out for the cachers am I?

-Dave

Where are you going to park when you hide the cache? You could use those co-ords for parking. I was mapping a trail in a neighborhood and parked at one end, and ended up placing a cache at the far end (over a mile). I used my parking co-ords and also noted that closer parking was possible.

I've seen lots of caches where no parking was noted - and nothing was obvious. You could put the no parking attribute on the cache and let the finder work it out for themselves.

You are not required to do anything to aid the seekers. But why are you hiding the cache? I presume it is so someone will find it, so you don't want to frustrate them unnecessarily. I see nothing wrong with a cache that doesn't have parking in the immediate area. On the other hand, I wouldn't care for a cache that requires me to walk 1/4 to 1/2 miles on the shoulder of a road. If there is a safe sidewalk or, even better, a nice trail, it would be a good cache. I'd mention the nearest parking is xxx away and provide the coordinates for the parking as additional waypoint. Oh yea, and after that walk I wouldn't want to be looking for a micro or nano unless it is a really clever hide which doesn't include a bison in a bush. Good luck with your first hide!

Some people will do ill-advised things to avoid a bit of walking - eg parking in an unsafe spot, or scooting across a busy road from a convenient spot, or walking through private land.

I'd think twice if your setup would provide a temptation to take risks.

Yeah, I have a cache that is four star terrain if you take the short route and more like a 2 1/2 terrain if you take a route that is a tad longer. Most opt for the four star route because it's quicker. Cachers from my experience almost always want to take the shortest route possible. One cache I have I made into a multicache specifically because I didn't want cachers cutting through someones backyard to get to the final stage. As a result, way less folks have bothered to attempt it, but at least I don't have to worry about people trespassing. :)

I've seen a few caches that suggest multiple parking options and give an indication like "parking at A is free but it's a 2-mile walk; parking at B isn't free and the half-mile walk isn't as nice" so people can make their own decisions.

If you post that the recommended parking is 1/4 mile away there's always going to be some knucklehead who decides that a super-fast park-n-grab is more important than parking considerately and walking a whopping 400 yards each way and end up blocking the road or parking on a blind bend or some such so he doesn't have to walk even 50 yards from a more considerate spot.

I guess what would make the difference for me was what kind of area I was going to for the cache. If I parked up and then walked 4-5 miles each way through a beautiful area to a beautiful spot to find the cache I'd be quite happy with that. If I parked up and walked half a mile each way along a busy road to find a soggy filmpot behind a sign I'd be irritated.

Rest assured this will not be a camo'ed micro or nano. This is going to probably be a cryptex or some other creative container. I have a little workshop at home and making that sort of thing is not an issue for me. But, if I don't do something like that then it's going to be the largest container I can reasonably fit.

Rest assured this will not be a camo'ed micro or nano. This is going to probably be a cryptex or some other creative container. I have a little workshop at home and making that sort of thing is not an issue for me. But, if I don't do something like that then it's going to be the largest container I can reasonably fit.

Sounds like a cache that deserves a slightly obscure area to hide, the kind of place people might not normally pass by unless they're exploring the wilderness somewhere. Depending on where you live that may or may not be practical but it would seem a shame to hide an inventive container in a place where it's more likely to get muggled.

(which presumably explains why so many urban caches are film pots behind signs)

It's nice when coordinates are posted if nearby parking isn't an option, so you can decide if it's too far :) Some people may be unable to do that 1/2 mile walk, most will. But some may be capable but only go for ones they can grab within 10 feet of their car.

I'm not sure you can stop people parking stupidly for caching any more than you can stop people listing a cache as a cache n dash / park n grab "right next to the cache" when that is basically blocking the whole lane.

Or people who stop in the middle of a country lane to read their map totally unrelated to caching. You can provide the info for safe parking but you can't force people to use it!

Where are you going to park when you hide the cache?

Haha, I live within biking/walking distance so that's not an issue for when it comes time to hide and then maintain it.

If the cache is close to a good bike trail, mention that and maybe also where park to begin biking from.

Parking? Do I let the availability of parking affect my placement of a cache?

No...place your cache, choose some of the aforementioned great suggestions to alert the searchers with that info...i'll read those waypoints and attributes

to decide where to park and approach the cache hide area with my walker, oxygen tank and walking stick -- or not...

do what you do best - hide a great cache and inform us well, that's all we ask of each other...

a part of the normal fun is to find the most legal parking as short as possible to the cache,

and then also find the most legal way to access the cache.

just the most legal. or less illegal parking or access route, is defined a bit different

from person to person, the hider of the cache is offcourse not to blame for the lack of good judgement some eager seekers may have.

Let He Who Is Without Sin Cast The First Stone

Thanks for all the info! Well I feel a lot better about this locale and there is a great hiding spot for a container slightly smaller than 8"x8"x6". Just have to make up my mind what I want to do. :D Already did a couple of waypoint averages on my GPSr so I think I have the coordinates ready to go as well. I just want to make it worth the walk for anyone making the effort to find it.

I don't believe you said what kind of walk--a quarter mile through a park or a neighborhood is one thing, and a quarter mile walk along a busy thoroughfare is another. And parking on a shoulder as a possibility might lead some to do something stupid. I personally wouldn't do it--the only time I'd place a cache with no parking available is when it's in a park or something, where the walk would be safe and pleasant--or challenging if it's up a hill in the woods, etc. But no parking in an urban environment means no cache for me.

I don't believe you said what kind of walk--a quarter mile through a park or a neighborhood is one thing, and a quarter mile walk along a busy thoroughfare is another. And parking on a shoulder as a possibility might lead some to do something stupid. I personally wouldn't do it--the only time I'd place a cache with no parking available is when it's in a park or something, where the walk would be safe and pleasant--or challenging if it's up a hill in the woods, etc. But no parking in an urban environment means no cache for me.

I give information om Parking , in my town if you park on the street you gonna get a ticket, so to keep it family friendly and open to all I prove information on parking..... however, as someone else just wrote some caches are for bike riders.....

Some people will do ill-advised things to avoid a bit of walking - eg parking in an unsafe spot, or scooting across a busy road from a convenient spot, or walking through private land.

I'd think twice if your setup would provide a temptation to take risks.

Yeah, I have a cache that is four star terrain if you take the short route and more like a 2 1/2 terrain if you take a route that is a tad longer. Most opt for the four star route because it's quicker. Cachers from my experience almost always want to take the shortest route possible. One cache I have I made into a multicache specifically because I didn't want cachers cutting through someones backyard to get to the final stage. As a result, way less folks have bothered to attempt it, but at least I don't have to worry about people trespassing. :)

The Multi cache option sounds good to me, this way you can make sure that people park safe and take the intended route to GZ.I have seen this done with engraved tie wraps.

You are not required to do anything to aid the seekers. But why are you hiding the cache? I presume it is so someone will find it, so you don't want to frustrate them unnecessarily.

I have a cache located in a spot where one *can* park within 150 feet and scramble up a steep hill to get to GZ, but I post recommended parking coordinates that are about .3 of a mile away. Why? I didn't place the cache just so someone can find it. I placed it so that people can enjoy the experience of going to find it. If someone chooses to park as close to the cache as possible (actually, if they did that, they'd be in the middle of the road) they're going to miss out on a nice little walk along a little known trail that overlooks a very pretty little gorge. It's not just about finding the cache, it's also about the journey.

Just mention in the description that it's a hike not a P&G. Wether to give a parking waypoint is up to you. IIf the goal is to bring people to a nice trail then by all means tell them where to park. Then again, if figuring out how to get there is supposed to be part of the hunt then leave it up to the searchers.

No. You should not let the parking problem affect your cache placement. As long as the hide/location are good. I've been to a number of cache and dashes where Miss Bossy, the nüvi, points to he nearest street. Then I have to search around for the parking.

I have some caches with good hikes, but I will usually tell you where to park. (One is described by finders as 'one mile uphill both ways'. Hee hee hee.)

I also have a series, mostly along a public walkway. Parking is a problem. But if I tell you where to park, it would give away where to look. Good luck finding the parking. It is available. But hard to find. In this case, it is part of the challenge to finding the caches.

I agree with the consensus. If it is a good place for a cache place it there regardless of parking options.

Now if the cache was on a main road with no sidewalk or other way to get to it, and required a half mile walk on that main road each way, then I would question if the location is indeed a good place.

However, I don't personally enjoy looking for parking as part of the challenge. So I appreciate it (but don't feel entitled) when a cache owner provides information on parking. Sometimes that is a waypoint for suggested parking, other times it is just some general notes in the description about parking options.

Just mention in the description that it's a hike not a P&G. Wether to give a parking waypoint is up to you. IIf the goal is to bring people to a nice trail then by all means tell them where to park. Then again, if figuring out how to get there is supposed to be part of the hunt then leave it up to the searchers.

You could even use the cache text to explicitly tell people not to park on the road 150 feet away due to fast moving traffic/parking enforcement/whatever else.

Although I like the idea of the multi where people have to approach from a different direction. The people who take the time over a multi are also more likely to appreciate it than the number-hunters who just want quick easy finds to boost their counts.

For me its really about expectations. In *general* if I see a cache near a road i expect it to be a park and grab. If I see a cache a significant distance from a roadway, I start looking for a safe palce to park near a trail head. Neither are requiremetns, just my preconceptions as i walk out the door. Where I'm willing to park my geomobile also varies. If it's a wide counry road with little traffic , I will park at the edge of the road. However, if its a narrow busy roadway and I can't get all 4 wheels out if the travel lane I usually will pass.

I have a cache located in the middle of a park that is a minimum of a quarter mile from any parking spot. I have given coordinates for a parking spot that is the closes place to park to the cache. No matter from which direction you approach the cache you can't legally drive closer than 1/4 mile.The cache was published on 8/22/13 and has had 13 finds and one favorite since then.

We own a few caches that require a walk of a mile or more, but they are within parks and we do say on the description page what distance the walk will be. If your cache is in a busy urban or suburban area, I think you should give some sort of parking location, and if it's a half mile away or whatever, say so. Then the geocacher can decide if it's worth it. I feel strongly that parking coordinates are needed in congested areas because we've had some geocaching expeditions ruined by sitting in heavy traffic after going down the wrong road, or worrying that we have to park illegally in a "permit only" parking lot to find a cache.

Edited by The VanDucks

I do not mind walking a trail for a 1/4 or 1/2 mile or whatever, but if its on the side of the road and is a relatively common cache, I might skip it. By all means, list the cache, but its just the reality that folks will probably skip it compared to a walk in the woods or a P&G. If its a neat spot that someone will want to walk for it, it will get walked by finders.

I feel strongly that parking coordinates are needed in congested areas because we've had some geocaching expeditions ruined by sitting in heavy traffic after going down the wrong road, or worrying that we have to park illegally in a "permit only" parking lot to find a cache.

What? That's part of the game; deciding where to park and hike in. More than once I've hiked 3/4 mile on well manicured trails to get to an LPC at another parking lot!!! If the CO chooses to include parking coords, I will look at them and be thankful, but its certainly not required.