Dirtbag Geocaching Society

JL_HSTRE

We never said we were submitting a moving cache.

Here is a quote of what you said to your reviewer initially, and which made your reviewer cite the moving caches section of the listing guidelines:

This cache will very rarely actually be out in the wild. We will update the location of the cache as it moves about the country. This cache is more of a show piece and we don't feel right leaving it out in the wild for someone to steal or vandalize. We will however be bringing it to any event we attend for all to see because this is a cache that should be enjoyed by all.
we are supposed to be adults and know better through the education of history - knowing that the actions of a few in a group of people does not always represent that entire group nor does the inaction of the entire group to the behaviors of a few mean they support it.

It represents the entire group when said group does not come out against such actions and, in many cases, cheers them on whilst rallying against Groundspeak when they get their hands slapped.

If and when a subset of volunteer cache reviewers began harrassing community members via email, Facebook and cache page logs, and Groundspeak sat back and cheered them on, I'm sure there would be a forum thread about it. In that fictional and unlikely forum discussion, I would condemn that behavior, disavow it, and perhaps even discuss disassociating myself with a group that condones such behavior.

Precisely.

In regards to the bolded bit up there, would that happen to be the "DGS" FB page that has around 600 likes? the public one that is more than just DGS members? If so, that does not fly as viable evidence against any members of the DGS. So please, entertain us all, and go on...

Actually no, that is not the page. The one I refer to is by DGS members and for DGS members. You’ll recognize it by the potty mouth and juvenile posts.

link to this page you claim is only for DGS members?

This is a joke right? We were threatened to be sent to Geojail by a lackey because we were allegedly "deceptive in the review process" and "against the spirit of geocaching". For the former, we have all emails discussing our cache submission with our local reviewer, and somehow that makes us deceptive. And then we are against the spirit of geocaching because we refused to delete legit found it logs.

Well hold on…

Moving caches are against the guidelines. When you said you were submitting a moving cache, your reviewer said no. You changed your tune, and your cache was published. You then turned it into a moving cache. This is not deceptive, how?

…ah yes, the rest of the story.

ah yes, the rest of the story from a forum moderator.

Also, remember that reviewers and lackeys can read Facebook too, and we receive reports from others about what they see there.

Thank you. More than just a few have been watching and taking notes.

since when did GS own facebook that they can enforce ToU on a page they do not own?

It doesn't take anything to get banned.

It takes a lot to be banned from the site. I have had a few forum bans way back when, and I earned every one of them. To be banned from the site? From the examples I have seen, you have to be egregious in your actions. However, I suppose to people used to acting immature it would seem like anything would get you banned.

They should have been permanent

Here is a quote of what you said to your reviewer initially, and which made your reviewer cite the moving caches section of the listing guidelines:

This cache will very rarely actually be out in the wild. We will update the location of the cache as it moves about the country. This cache is more of a show piece and we don't feel right leaving it out in the wild for someone to steal or vandalize. We will however be bringing it to any event we attend for all to see because this is a cache that should be enjoyed by all.

Ah yes, now I remember. The description that was a misunderstanding between geoteammates.

Would you care to explain to everyone why this cache was unarchived? Probably not, because then you'd be arguing with yourself.

and as I mentioned before, the cache was published after it was placed in the wild, chained to a tree. You still have not proved any deception.

Edited by SloCachers

Game. Set. Match.

So someone who is privy to the actual facts of the case is not to be trusted? :unsure:

Ah yes, now I remember. The description that was a misunderstanding between geoteammates.

Nice way to backpedal.

i have a question for Authur & Trillian. Do you have DGS Cachers near your area or have you ever had the pleasure of caching with them. i would also like to post this same question to everyone else here. What personal contact have anyone here had with them. NOT video or what someone has said to you but personal contact. If the answer is None then please tell me how this affects you and you game play. I almost quit caching at one point and after doing some of the caches and events i was happy to get back to caching. I think we need to check around our own house before going across town and putting down someone we don't know. Just my two cents and yes i do live in a DGS affected area and as it turns out yes i'm glad i do.

Would you care to explain to everyone why this cache was unarchived? Probably not, because then you'd be arguing with yourself.

and as I mentioned before, the cache was published after it was placed in the wild, chained to a tree. You still have not proved any deception.

SloCachers,, The person you are debating with can and will dig up the facts regarding this specific issue. I doubt you're helping your cause. In fact, you're probably adding fuel to the fire.

Game. Set. Match.

So someone who is privy to the actual facts of the case is not to be trusted? :unsure:

Nice way to backpedal.

HAHA!!

Privy to facts of the case? Anybody can look at a case file and copy and paste words.

Backpedal? where? That description was a misunderstanding between teammates. We fixed the listing, as per the reviewers request, the listing was unarchived, per our request, and the container went to an event, came back and was placed in the wild, per reviewers request.

Please, I beg of anyone here, display for the court the act of deception.

And while your busy trying to justify GS as a holy entity, tell the lackeys to do their job and actually handle appeals instead of just sweep them under the rug because they know that they made the wrong decision but wont publicly acknowledge that fact.

And while your busy trying to justify GS as a holy entity, tell the lackeys to do their job and actually handle appeals instead of just sweep them under the rug because they know that they made the wrong decision but wont publicly acknowledge that fact.

Pretty serious accusation there. I assume you can back it up with facts?

SloCachers,, The person you are debating with can and will dig up the facts regarding this specific issue. I doubt you're helping your cause. In fact, you're probably adding fuel to the fire.

It's starting to get cold outside.

The lackey is ignoring an appeal. That's really professional of them. Where is Groundspeak publicly denouncing the actions of this lackey?

Pretty serious accusation there. I assume you can back it up with facts?

Unlike you, yes I can. We filed an appeal with Groundspeak. It has been more than 2 weeks since it was filed and we've gotten one response that was enforcing untrue statements and making up "guidelines" just to suit their cause. We rebutted the lackey's argument, and haven't heard back since. What happened? couldn't prove any guidelines were broken? Let's just ignore it. It'll go away.

Edited by SloCachers

Really Who........Just wondering......Also was this a attack on you or is this another story of you heard someone say. I've had a run in with a DGS member in the past but instead of going rouge on the entire group i went up and got to know them. turned out it was a simple problem and now i attend events all the time. Maybe you should reach out and see how things go. That is better than crying about it. I think i'm a better cacher because i got to know them.

I din't know they had members up there.

Since you're obviously familiar with the group, all you have to do is go to the DGS website and see which chapter is in my area, which should be simple enough since it's apparent know generally where I live since you've looked at my profile.

I din't know they had members up there.

Since you're obviously familiar with the group, all you have to do is go to the DGS website and see which chapter is in my area, which should be simple enough since it's apparent know generally where I live since you've looked at my profile.

You should be hired by GS. You say things and don't back them up. Why should anyone have to go on a "witch hunt" to verify your claims? In a debate, you should present your own facts and the evidence to back up your "facts", which you don't.

Really Who........Just wondering......Also was this a attack on you or is this another story of you heard someone say. I've had a run in with a DGS member in the past but instead of going rouge on the entire group i went up and got to know them. turned out it was a simple problem and now i attend events all the time. Maybe you should reach out and see how things go. That is better than crying about it. I think i'm a better cacher because i got to know them.

With out Names i think your telling me a lie.

My personal view is A & T is just bored and has personal issue with the DGS and no other people to pick on. As stated by another before i don't feel the need to go on a witch hunt. If you have facts to back up your claim just grow up and post them. I promise not to get mad at you for posting FACTS. i have a issue of folks posting about someone and not telling what they know. just post the site Address/ GC names and the Facts. its not hard. Do that or please go do something productive with your time.

You know, you can believe what you wish. I really don't care. You will not bait me into violating the forum guidelines but outing people who have been banned, as it's a matter between the ones banned and Groundspeak. Why are you so worried about it anyway? Is it beyond your ability to imagine that a DGS member would be banned? If so, that's your problem. Three cachers got banned in my area and I gave you two simple ways to find out who they are for yourself. You failing to follow through is not my concern.

Frankly, I care less if you or SloCachers think I am lying or not. Given the fact that you don't trust Groundspeak with anything they do, your minds are already made up on the issue.

My personal view is A & T is just bored and has personal issue with the DGS and no other people to pick on. As stated by another before i don't feel the need to go on a witch hunt. If you have facts to back up your claim just grow up and post them. I promise not to get mad at you for posting FACTS. i have a issue of folks posting about someone and not telling what they know. just post the site Address/ GC names and the Facts. its not hard. Do that or please go do something productive with your time.

^^this^^

You know, you can believe what you wish. I really don't care. You will not bait me into violating the forum guidelines but outing people who have been banned, as it's a matter between the ones banned and Groundspeak. Why are you so worried about it anyway? Is it beyond your ability to imagine that a DGS member would be banned? If so, that's your problem. Three cachers got banned in my area and I gave you two simple ways to find out who they are for yourself. You failing to follow through is not my concern.

Frankly, I care less if you or SloCachers think I am lying or not. Given the fact that you don't trust Groundspeak with anything they do, your minds are already made up on the issue.

My mind is open on the matter. We as cachers are expected to play nice. Why shouldn't GS be held to the same standards? I'm stating facts about my personal dealings with GS, which if they would just do what they are supposed to do, I would most likely change my position, but until then, I'm not a GS fan.

We as cachers are expected to play nice. Why shouldn't GS be held to the same standards? I'm stating facts about my personal dealings with GS, which if they would just do what they are supposed to do, I would most likely change my position, but until then, I'm not a GS fan.

I doubt it's an issue of GS playing nice or not; they were likely simply believing the CO.

Volunteers are well, human, and Reviewers / Lackeys have to have some faith in the CO's honesty. Sometimes, honesty is they all can rely on.

Neither I nor you can prove the intention of this cache, but pocket (aka moving aka event-only) caches are not new, were banned years ago for rampant abuse, and some groups still try and get them through by any means possible (and within businesses..and armchair caches.. and virtuals..ignore offlimit areas..etc etc). I've seen many examples and suggestions on Facebook of how to do this.

Edited by Maingray
We as cachers are expected to play nice. Why shouldn't GS be held to the same standards? I'm stating facts about my personal dealings with GS, which if they would just do what they are supposed to do, I would most likely change my position, but until then, I'm not a GS fan.

I doubt it's an issue of GS playing nice or not; they were likely simply believing the CO.

Volunteers are well, human, and Reviewers / Lackeys have to have some faith in the CO's honesty. Sometimes, honesty is they all can rely on.

Neither I nor you can prove the intention of this cache, but pocket (aka moving aka event-only) caches are not new, were banned years ago for rampant abuse, and some groups still try and get them through by any means possible (and within businesses..and armchair caches.. and virtuals..etc etc). I've seen many examples and suggestions on Facebook of how to do this.

I am the CO. I can prove the intention of this cache. They did not believe us. I understand they are human. There is nothing wrong with making mistakes. When it comes to the lackey, instead of admitting they made a mistake, they are ignoring it and hoping it will go away.

You know, you can believe what you wish. I really don't care. You will not bait me into violating the forum guidelines but outing people who have been banned, as it's a matter between the ones banned and Groundspeak.

Arthur & Trillian is behaving correctly and admirably. (And yes, based on his past history, it pains me to say that - but I'm a truly neutral referee!) It is unseemly to name individuals, and far better to have a discussion about the behaviors and actions of those individuals.

You will all see this principle reinforced in the near future. People ought to be able to come here and discuss what they've observed in the geocaching world. Nothing good is accomplished by calling someone a liar when they are trying to have a discussion of behaviors they've experienced. So, do stop that. Thanks.

How can i report them......I would be glad to. They are telling false info as far as i see. they show no facts and are wrong. if others can be banned for simple things why is this being allowed. I CALL FOR THIS TO BE LOOKED AT>. How can someone go on a form and state such things and still be allowed to spread such info. This is a one sided deal in my eyes. if i start telling such things on others that are false i expect to have to pay for it. why do others get away with it. Groundspeak needs to look at this.

You know, you can believe what you wish. I really don't care. You will not bait me into violating the forum guidelines but outing people who have been banned, as it's a matter between the ones banned and Groundspeak.

Arthur & Trillian is behaving correctly and admirably. (And yes, based on his past history, it pains me to say that - but I'm a truly neutral referee!) It is unseemly to name individuals, and far better to have a discussion about the behaviors and actions of those individuals.

You will all see this principle reinforced in the near future. People ought to be able to come here and discuss what they've observed in the geocaching world. Nothing good is accomplished by calling someone a liar when they are trying to have a discussion of behaviors they've experienced. So, do stop that. Thanks.

wow. Correctly and admirably? I'd love to know how you came up with that! As wallace has said, if this was anyone else, there would be repercussions. But, because it's about the DGS, it's all good to go. Good on you for being a "truly neutral referee"

Also, You never did finish proving deception.... what happened? couldn't find the evidence to prove the lackey's point?

How can i report them......I would be glad to. They are telling false info as far as i see. they show no facts and are wrong. if others can be banned for simple things why is this being allowed.

I asked you to stop this line of discussion. Since your post was just a few minutes after that request, I'll give you the benefit of a doubt.

I CALL FOR THIS TO BE LOOKED AT>. How can someone go on a form and state such things and still be allowed to spread such info. This is a one sided deal in my eyes. if i start telling such things on others that are false i expect to have to pay for it. why do others get away with it. Groundspeak needs to look at this.

It's been looked at. Thanks for your report.

where did he say he experienced it. he said he knows of some DGS members that are banned and is telling of things he can NOT back up from what i see so far. it seems from my view that he is being allowed to spread things that appear false. We just want to know when he is getting this info. There is a tread on FB of people asking the questions like i ask. Where is the FB page so i can see for my self. How can i see a page that i'm not aware of. no one seems to know of this page either. I'm i wrong for asking for such simple info or can i start spreading false info about you as moderator. That would be wrong correct. Then if it's wrong to say that about you then why is it not wrong to say such things about others.....If i start saying you or your group of caching friends are trouble and have been banned and imply they are a bunch of thugs i would hope you would want some sort of proof.

Also, You never did finish proving deception.... what happened? couldn't find the evidence to prove the lackey's point?

I think I've posted quite enough about your cache that was logged as found in two different states, yet is somehow has not "moved" in your mind. You appealed, your appeal was denied, your case is closed. Thank you, though, for having the courage to bring your example to the forum. It is a useful example of a pattern of behavior, as noted above in maingray's post.

The social network page he was referring to has since removed the posts as the local caching group that runs it determined the topic was getting to heated. A cacher made some bad choices, involved some of his friends inadvertently and got a short term ban..... He and several others attempted to appeal the ban and got an indefinite ban and others got banned as well. That is my understanding from reading the info from the now deleted threads. I don't know enough to say how the person banned was affiliated with DGS but there is a chapter very active in that area.

I think I've posted quite enough about your cache that was logged as found in two different states, yet is somehow has not "moved" in your mind. You appealed, your appeal was denied, your case is closed. Thank you, though, for having the courage to bring your example to the forum. It is a useful example of a pattern of behavior, as noted above in maingray's post.

What pattern of behavior? It was stated that we were deceptive. I see no deception according to GS laws, and you have failed to prove any.

As for the appeal being closed, there is no mention of that to us. It was simply ignored because it was archived by a lackey that had no viable evidence to prove that it broke the GS Laws. I can do whatever I want with my containers. At no point do they become the property of GS. The entire time that cache was published, it was in place, as is required by the GS Laws you keep referring to. Before publishing and after archival I have the right to choose to do what I want with my container.

Any thoughts there, Keystone?

I find it truly amusing that defenders of the DGS against being bashed as a group for the actions of a few, are bashing an entire group for the action of a few.

Unbelievable, isn't it? Now do you see the position that DGS members and supporters are in? That has been the point since the start of this entire thread. Now it suddenly uncomfortable because some of us are no longer idly standing by.

We were threatened to be sent to Geojail by a lackey

But, because its DGS, and nobody likes the DGS, we'll just let it go.

The question is why "nobody likes the DGS"? Things like that don't occur accidentally or by chance. Most geocachers have never experienced a site ban, let alone have heard it commonly referred to it as "Geojail". Most people do not know anything about the DGS either, but when they open a thread and see a few attacking the Lackeys, what do you think their impressions will be? Sometimes you have to step back and wonder at how you got to where you are. If you behave like a bunch of kids that need discipline, then you are only setting yourself up to be treated like that. Respect is a two way street. Who is your daddy anyhow? :D

581205_389186751119315_531727081_n.jpg

Edited by 4wheelin_fool

Neither I nor you can prove the intention of this cache, but pocket (aka moving aka event-only) caches are not new, were banned years ago for rampant abuse, and some groups still try and get them through by any means possible (and within businesses..and armchair caches.. and virtuals..ignore offlimit areas..etc etc). I've seen many examples and suggestions on Facebook of how to do this.

Man, I have to get me one of these Facebook accounts. Sounds like a lot of Geocaching drama goes on there. :huh:

We were threatened to be sent to Geojail by a lackey

But, because its DGS, and nobody likes the DGS, we'll just let it go.

The question is why "nobody likes the DGS"? Things like that don't occur accidentally or by chance. Most geocachers have never experienced a site ban, let alone have heard it commonly referred to it as "Geojail". Most people do not know anything about the DGS either, but when they open a thread and see a few attacking the Lackeys, what do you think their impressions will be? Sometimes you have to step back and wonder at how you got to where you are. If you behave like a bunch of kids that need discipline, then you are only setting yourself up to be treated like that. Respect is a two way street. Who is your daddy anyhow? :D

581205_389186751119315_531727081_n.jpg

Has anyone here had any unpleasant experiences arising from interactions with any DGS member? And who is attacking a lackey unprovoked? The DGS has been getting dumped on in this thread since the beginning. Yes respect is a 2 ways street. Ive had to deal with a lackey once and the respect there sucked. Archive a cache because someone whined about. Then make up some BS about how it is breaking one law and make up another law on the fly and then ignore when that idiotic decision is contested.

Tell me how is a lackey to demand respect when they act that way? You have no reason to dislike the DGS if you haven't personally had a negative interaction with a member. I'm not saying you have to like them, but you can't dump on them if you haven't had any personal dealings with them.

There are great DGS members, and there are others that seem to do nothing but cause grief. I have a number of people that are a member of the DGS that are great people, push the limits, place great caches, and I enjoy the time I have spent with them.

The hard part is disassociating the handful of noisy bad players, that cause problems, with those that do not. In my area it is not hard, they are a great bunch.

The problem is that I hear of issues where a DGS member does something distasteful, and rather than the other members pointing out to them their error, many of them circle the wagons.

That is usually the way to determine if a group believes something or not. For example if cacher XYZ sends threatening emails, steals caches, or something else, and you defend that person and circle the wagons, then the group looks bad. If you denounce him, then it is a separate act. That does not mean you have to accept a bad decision if it is wrong. Sadly Irarely see the DGS denounce people that do something wrong. Sometimes they have even joined in the harassment.

There are great DGS members, and there are others that seem to do nothing but cause grief. I have a number of people that are a member of the DGS that are great people, push the limits, place great caches, and I enjoy the time I have spent with them.

The hard part is disassociating the handful of noisy bad players, that cause problems, with those that do not. In my area it is not hard, they are a great bunch.

The problem is that I hear of issues where a DGS member does something distasteful, and rather than the other members pointing out to them their error, many of them circle the wagons.

That is usually the way to determine if a group believes something or not. For example if cacher XYZ sends threatening emails, steals caches, or something else, and you defend that person and circle the wagons, then the group looks bad. If you denounce him, then it is a separate act. That does not mean you have to accept a bad decision if it is wrong. Sadly Irarely see the DGS denounce people that do something wrong. Sometimes they have even joined in the harassment.

Personal negative encounter? or a hearsay?

also, appreciate the positive review of the members you know.

This.

My only real interaction with the DGS was attending an event in Salt Lake City which was hosted by the group there. They were a great bunch of people and this event was no different that the hundreds of other events that I have attended across North America. But my question would be: Why call yourselves the DIRTBAG Geocaching Society if you don't want to be seen as the bad guys? It seems that the entire mission of the group is to stir up trouble, but maybe not all members are drinking the Kool-Aid.

This. is. all. hearsay.

that is what that is

This. is. all. hearsay.

that is what that is

Do not EVER edit my post to suit your agenda again. GOT IT?

What pattern of behavior? It was stated that we were deceptive. I see no deception according to GS laws, and you have failed to prove any.

As for the appeal being closed, there is no mention of that to us. It was simply ignored because it was archived by a lackey that had no viable evidence to prove that it broke the GS Laws. I can do whatever I want with my containers. At no point do they become the property of GS. The entire time that cache was published, it was in place, as is required by the GS Laws you keep referring to. Before publishing and after archival I have the right to choose to do what I want with my container.

Any thoughts there, Keystone?

The listing that was published is for a cache ostansibly chained to a tree in Bolingbrook, Illinois. That listing was archived because people were logging "found it" logs based on seeing the cache at an event miles away in Illinois, and at an event hundreds of miles away in Las Vegas. It's true that Groundspeak doesn't own your cache container and doesn't control what you do with it. But, Groundspeak does control how a listing page was used on its site. If there were no logs from people who found the cache at places other than next to a tree in Bolingbrook, Illinois, I bet your listing would still be active.

Enjoy your special cache container. It sounds very creative. It would have made for a very nice "Lab Cache" at GeocoinFest. That would have been a way to play the game within the rules established by the listing service.

My only real interaction with the DGS was attending an event in Salt Lake City which was hosted by the group there. They were a great bunch of people and this event was no different that the hundreds of other events that I have attended across North America. But my question would be: Why call yourselves the DIRTBAG Geocaching Society if you don't want to be seen as the bad guys? It seems that the entire mission of the group is to stir up trouble, but maybe not all members are drinking the Kool-Aid.

this was covered very early on in this thread. The dirtbag moniker comes from the group creators that are/were army service members. That is a term in the army, just the same as a grunt, jar head, flyboy, etc.