Dirtbag Geocaching Society

JL_HSTRE

What is the DGS? Is their purpose to encourage creative out-in-the-woods non-micro geocaches? Or is it to promote ignoring the guidelines, facilitate armchair logging of caches, share lists of puzzle cache solutions, and share lists of trackables?

Hey Josh what violations has the DGS done? Any examples or is this a "he said she said" statement? I shared a list that I complied over the years of trackables and that's it. Trackables are meant to be discovered or am I mistaken. Whoever is the owner of the trackable and does not like the virtual sharing can delete the log and that's it. What's the bid deal about me sharing a list that I made. Let the trackable owners complain about it; if you are of the opinion that trackables should be physically discovered then that's your opinion.

If you look at one of Josh's posts You'll see he *is* one of the trackable owners. Namely his trackable nametag that he wears to events was virtually logged by people at a DGS event. And I'd say Josh's opinion is a majority opinion, and one shared by The Powers That Be at Groundspeak. Not to mention the whole idea of distributing lists of TB's is cheesy, and not normally associated with proponents of quality Geocaching. :P

Mr. Yuck I understand and respect your opinion but not everyone shares the same opinion. I understand that one of Josh's trackable's was logged and he has the right to delete the log if he wishes. What I don't agree with is that whether it is the opinion of the majority or minority that it be considered the "standard". I personally don't release any of my trackable's into to "wild" because of the horror stories of people stealing trackable's or holding them hostage; others do and that's their choice. You can go on any social media posting and see how many different ways people play the game; why should anyone tell a cacher how to discover a trackable because it's wrong in their opinion. Perhaps before people pass judgment on the DGS maybe they should find out what there all about instead of reading random post which cast them in a negative light. That's my two cents on the matter.

You might have missed the part where I said it is the powers that be at Geocaching.com's opinion on the matter also. Not just a bunch of k00ks in the forums with 8,500 posts. :blink: Virtual logging of trackables is not allowed, and the trackable can and will be locked, although they only get involved in extreme cases, and only when people "report it". I myself have been a "quality caching proponent" since 2003. Do I need to compile a list for the DGS of what is considered cheesy, and not consistent with the quality caching philosophy? :laughing:

I'm really tending to go back to my original assessment "if Groundspeak is for it, they're against it". It's really weird, and I've never seen anything like it. But you guys are alright by me. B)

Edited by Mr.Yuck
Sounds to us like the OP is frustrated because the DGS have more interesting hides, better events, you name it. Yea, maybe some caches were "borrowed" in the beginning, punishments were handed down from TPTB, we've moved on. I guess you could say that the best example of the DGS is unionism. We are collectively working together for the better of the geocaching community. We have 88 favorite points across 5 of our hides, 3 of those are DGS affiliated hides which make up 58 of those 88 favorite points. Now you can keep wasting fuel and time and brain cells chasing down lame micros, but don't hate what you can't handle.

If you look at my stats and logs or read many of my posts (in this thread and others) I think you will see I am an advocate for quality caches (within the Guidelines) and am generally not a fan of LPCs, GRIMs, or power trails.

But don't take my word for it, attend some DGS events and talk with the members yourself. If you've got a concern, ask them about it.

DGS seems to only now be making inroads in my state and, to my knowledge, there have yet to be any DGS events here. I came to to the forums hoping to get input from other people who have encountered the DGS in areas where it is more established.

Hey Josh what violations has the DGS done? Any examples or is this a "he said she said" statement?

Precisely the reason for my original post - which you'll notice is in the form of a question.

I shared a list that I complied over the years of trackables and that's it. Trackables are meant to be discovered or am I mistaken. Whoever is the owner of the trackable and does not like the virtual sharing can delete the log and that's it. What's the bid deal about me sharing a list that I made. Let the trackable owners complain about it; if you are of the opinion that trackables should be physically discovered then that's your opinion.

If you wants to share your own TBs for discovery (why would you want someone to discover a TB they've never actually seen?) that is ultimately up to you. However, it bothers me that TB #s (including my own) were shared by someone other than the TB owner; that should never happen. I'm the one who choses whether to show my TBs at an event (or not), release them into the wild (or not), or even post the TB online (or not). I'm pretty sure I am not the only person who had a TB on that list who was bothered by it being shared.

Also, as I noted in my original post, armchair logging seems to be all about the numbers which to me is completely contrary to a group that promotes quality caching (which is NOT about the numbers).

Perhaps before people pass judgment on the DGS maybe they should find out what there all about instead of reading random post which cast them in a negative light.

Again, finding out what they are all about was the whole purpose of my original post. I had gotten mixed signals about the group's purpose (not just from hearsay - from the actions of different members seeming to be contradictory) and I was hoping I could get some insight from others on the matter.

Mr. Yuck - do you actually cache?

Why yes, I've found over 2,500 in 10 years, and hidden 50, which have racked up hundreds of favorite points. It's rather easy to click on profiles in this forum, and I didn't think that was like rocket science, or anything. And anyone with a mouse connected to their computer can see that I went to MidWest Geobash 2 weeks ago, and found about 20 caches in Ohio. Great insult though. Actually, not. :lol:

Edited by Mr.Yuck

Why yes, I've found over 2,500 in 10 years, and hidden 50, which have racked up hundreds of favorite points. It's rather easy to click on profiles in this forum, and I didn't think that was like rocket science, or anything. And anyone with a mouse connected to their computer can see that I went to MidWest Geobash 2 weeks ago, and found about 20 caches in Ohio. Great insult though. Actually, not. :lol:

i was just curious where you find the time to cache between posting all of the time on here.

...distributing lists of TB's is cheesy...

And yet, I haven't been to an event in a long time where this was not the standard.

It is kinda odd. People huddle around the trackables table at an event, taking pictures of all of the tags for later "Discovering". I am not sure what the attraction is.

Personally, if I don't find a TB or coin in the wild, I won't log it.

i was just curious where you find the time to cache between posting all of the time on here.

Snap! You got me there. You got me so good, I think this may be my last post ever. :P

...distributing lists of TB's is cheesy...

And yet, I haven't been to an event in a long time where this was not the standard.

By the way, I lied NTHacker.

Can I make sure we're talking about the same thing here? You don't mean huddling around someone's coin collection, or writing down or taking pictures of all the trackables that show up at the event, do you? Both are rather normal, and accepted practices.

The cheese we're talking about here is saving the number of every TB you've ever seen, making a list of them, and giving it to people.

C'mon, no responses like 8 hours later? I'm dying here. Rest assured these posts are made with a big crap-eating grin on my face. Really, I'm a 22 year Army Vet, although it was all Reserve Component, and some would have referred to me as a REMF (all in Signal). Although I did do about 4 years in a Combat Engineer line company as their E-6 Commo Chief. And about 6 more in the HHC of a Combat Engineer Battalion (I know, REMF :laughing:) I even hold the Combat Engineer MOS, although I never used it, and it was just sort of a "it's a short school, and we send everyone to it just for the heck of it" situation.

I will say again, probably for like the 5th time, I find the whole quality caching thing, and the lame logging practices to be exact polar opposites of each other. Really? Logging TB's from a list that you've never seen? I call sharp cheddar on that one. :lol:

So if offered, I would accept membership in the DGS. Anyone?

(insert probably the sound of crickets chirping here) :ph34r:

C'mon, no responses like 8 hours later? I'm dying here. Rest assured these posts are made with a big crap-eating grin on my face. Really, I'm a 22 year Army Vet, although it was all Reserve Component, and some would have referred to me as a REMF (all in Signal). Although I did do about 4 years in a Combat Engineer line company as their E-6 Commo Chief. And about 6 more in the HHC of a Combat Engineer Battalion (I know, REMF :laughing:) I even hold the Combat Engineer MOS, although I never used it, and it was just sort of a "it's a short school, and we send everyone to it just for the heck of it" situation.

I will say again, probably for like the 5th time, I find the whole quality caching thing, and the lame logging practices to be exact polar opposites of each other. Really? Logging TB's from a list that you've never seen? I call sharp cheddar on that one. :lol:

So if offered, I would accept membership in the DGS. Anyone?

(insert probably the sound of crickets chirping here) :ph34r:

Log all 31 days at once today for the August Souvenirs and you may be considered after your mission is complete. :ph34r:

I met a few of the members of the DGS when I went to GeocoinFest in SC. They were certainly noticeable by the way they dressed (very avant garde-but really cool)-I would never have guessed they were military. I spoke with several of the members and they were absolutely wonderful. They had a booth displaying some VERY creative and inventive Geocaches. In fact, they were some of the most awesome caches I had ever seen. I enjoy seeing unusual caches, and it isn't often that I come across caches that are that unusual. The caches they had were not only creative, but there was a lot of technical know-how involved in making them. Not too many Geocachers could have made them. I cannot say enough about how wonderful I thought this group was.

Wow, I didn't realize the Dirtbags were everywhere, I just became familiar with them after moving to Colorado two years ago. Here, the Dirtbag caches are actually pretty cool. Most are high terrain ratings and located in remote, off the beaten path mountain locations. They also put a disclaimer up front saying these caches are not for everyone. They do sponsor events where you can hook up with someone with a 4x4 (think extremely Jeep, not luxury SUV) and hit the mountains. Honestly, I find most of their caches to go back to the roots of what geocaching was in its infancy, rugged outdoor caches (not micro urban parking lot caches) that take you to some pretty spectacular places. They also have caches with less extreme terrain, but are multiple stages and require you use all the features of your GPS, not just 'go to' and 'find next.'

I believe the name 'Dirtbag' comes from the terrain/location of the caches and the 'not as easy as you may think' caches. I do not believe it leans towards the unethical, boarding on criminal meaning.

I know dgs cachers from multiple chapters, and agree with above poster. They are good quality people, and put out high quality caches! If you have issues with them, don't do them!!! But, you are the one missing out :) if my local area had enough cachers I would love to start a chapter here!

How they are good quality people when one of them did this today? http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=315289 :unsure:

Dont kill the messenger! :ph34r::ph34r::blink:

I had a relative long ago who was willing to judge an entire group based on his perceptions of a small percentage of that group. He wore pointy hats and bed sheets when hanging out with his peers. I know a DGS member who got a traffic ticket in Seattle recently. I'm willing to bet that there are several DGS members who have received traffic tickets over the years. That doesn't mean that DGS sucks at driving.

How they are good quality people when one of them did this today? http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=315289 :unsure:

I had a relative long ago who was willing to judge an entire group based on his perceptions of a small percentage of that group. He wore pointy hats and bed sheets when hanging out with his peers. I know a DGS member who got a traffic ticket in Seattle recently. I'm willing to bet that there are several DGS members who have received traffic tickets over the years. That doesn't mean that DGS sucks at driving.

Traffic ticket? Ha, most people got their share of them. My last one was over 10 years ago. Even my dad got one. Just one and he been driving over 60 years!

Lets talk about behavior(s) of DGS members on this forum in the last two years. Most clubs got rules of how their members should act under their brand name. All it takes a few bad apples to make the rest look bad. I am seeing too many of their members putting anyone down that dont agree with them. Its more than I can count with my fingers. If its only one or two, no problems, but its way more than that and seeing it way too often.

Edited by SwineFlew

Traffic ticket? Ha, most people got their share of them. My last one was over 10 years ago. Even my dad got one. Just one and he been driving over 60 years!

Lets talk about behavior(s) of DGS members on this forum in the last two years. Most clubs got rules of how their members should act under their brand name. All it takes a few bad apples to make the rest look bad. I am seeing too many of their members putting anyone down that dont agree with them. Its more than I can count with my fingers. If its only one or two, no problems, but its way more than that and seeing it way too often.

So, a tiny percentage of the whole acts in a manner which has not been per approved by you. As a result, you judge the entire group. Sounds like my initial pointy hat analogy was pretty accurate. I think it's pretty telling that those who actually know the DGS consistently report that they, as a whole, are beneficial to this hobby. Whilst those who don't know them, and judge the whole based on the actions of a few, say they are problem children.

SwineFlew, I respect that you care enough about the game that you wish to speak out against a perceived 'wrong' within the community. I suppose if I 'knew' what you 'knew' I'd be writing much the same things.

One difference between us is that you're hundreds of miles from the nearest DGS chapter and I live in an area with a local DGS chapter. As a result I got first hand experience - I attended some of their events, I found some of their caches and I met most of their members.

I also got to hear all kinds of horror stories about the group that were spread by well-meaning people such as yourself. I knew some of the members and the stories I was hearing didn't match up with what I knew of them. So I starting talking to them and asking questions and guess what, just like in high school a lot of the rumors turned out to be false.

Last weekend this 'evil' group had an event at an ice cream parlor with the highest ratio of kids to adults I've ever seen at an event. The log book was an oversized paper mâché ice cream cone that the attendees signed. Their event before that was a geocaching decathlon in a park where I got to watch kids having a blast competing against each other. The two events before that were a hike in the mountains and a creative cache event that was won by a non-DGS member.

A few months ago, I was offered a membership by the local DGS chapter which I accepted and I became privy to their internal conversations and actions. And guess what?? They were exactly as they presented themselves at their events and I saw for myself they weren't doing the things they were getting accused of. The only downside to the experience, and it was significant for me, was losing a very good friend who believed the stories he'd heard passed around.

So, SwineFlew, I understand you don't get to meet and interact with DGS members in Oregon but please don't smear a large group of geocachers around the country because you believe you've spotted an imperfect member within their group. Even with the best of intentions, the spreading of rumors and innuendo about other geocachers does nothing but harm the greater geocaching community. If you've got a problem with a specific cacher take it up with them or take it to Groundspeak, if need be.

For those of you who do live near a DGS chapter I encourage you to attend one of their events, talk with them yourselves, and make up your own mind. I suspect what you'll find is a bunch of enthusiastic geocachers who enjoy geocaching and chatting with other geocachers.

Edited by Ecylram

"questionable behavior" coming from a guy who has "put down" his fair share of people in these forums.

Edited by nthacker66

More proof that DGS that are trouble makers....

http://coord.info/TBKZ7F

(copy and paste the first page)

Discovered It 10/29/2013 HAD MATTer discovered it Visit Log

What can i say, i'm a jerk

Edited by SwineFlew

More proof that DGS that are trouble makers....

http://coord.info/TBKZ7F

(copy and paste the first page)

I counted 86 pages!!! of the same log! Isn't that type of behavior against the TOU of the GS website? I have been reprimanded for WAY less than that.

Posting 868 discovered logs to a TB page where the owner has marked it missing and has specifically asked for no more logs is abusive, disturbing, and not funny in the least bit.

Here's what obviously happened, for those who don't want to read between the lines. The TB owner's TB was missing. They were suprised to receive discovered logs for that TB from it's tracking number being passed around on a list at an event, or being published on the internet. They deleted any such logs. HadMatter didn't like that, and, in retaliation, posted 868 "what can I say, I'm a jerk" discovered logs.

Earlier in the thread, I gave the DGS some friendly advice as a fellow ammo box in the woods afficienado that passsing around lists of TB tracking numbers at events, and people who've never handled the TB discovering them was conduct umbecoming an ammo box in the woods afficienado. This one got ugly. I can easily see a 30 day website ban for this little tantrum. :huh:

P.S. I at least hope he had a bot, and didn't do that manually 868 times. :lol:

Edited by Mr.Yuck

Posting 868 discovered logs to a TB page where the owner has marked it missing and has specifically asked for no more logs is abusive, disturbing, and not funny in the least bit.

It has gotten worse as others have piled on and the page count is now 328!

It has gotten worse as others have piled on and the page count is now 328!

It's a sock. Doing it from behind a computer screen is cowardly enough, but using a sock created for the purpose indicates someone with zero guts. How old are they? 13? Someone is bent on harassing someone they've never met to prove what, exactly?

I'm putting that TB on my watchlist to see what happens next ! :rolleyes:

Edited by 4wheelin_fool

[i'm putting that TB on my watchlist to see what happens next ! :rolleyes:

Yikes! Do you really want 300 plus notification emails at once when it happens again?

You meant 3000. There were 4 unlucky people watching it last night who have recieved nearly 4000 notification emails each so far. I suppose they could always be forwarded to Groundspeak..

Edited by 4wheelin_fool

Yikes! Do you really want 300 plus notification emails at once when it happens again?

You meant 3000. There were 4 unlucky people watching it last night who have recieved 4000 notification emails each so far. I suppose they could always be forwarded to Groundspeak..

Well, unless Groundspeak tracks via an IP address, this account someone created for the sole purpose of spamming will be deleted and the person who did it won't get any punishment.

Do not know why they have not locked this TB yet at any rate.

Wow, the guys doing this sound like a real bunch of lamp-post film-can hiders! :rolleyes:

That may be considered to many in the game now to be a compliment.

What they are one can't say, because of the vacation one will earn. Those ip addresses need to be permanently banned from the GS world. That is WAY beyond bullying; it is harassment.

You meant 3000. There were 4 unlucky people watching it last night who have recieved 4000 notification emails each so far. I suppose they could always be forwarded to Groundspeak..

Well, unless Groundspeak tracks via an IP address, this account someone created for the sole purpose of spamming will be deleted and the person who did it won't get any punishment.

Bzzzt. Wrong answer. Groundspeak does IP Addresses. In addition to Had Matter, another DGS member had their account locked yesterday, for obviously being that sock that joined in with a couple thousand discovered logs. Someone with lots of hides and finds too. No names, of course. :ph34r:

Bzzzt. Wrong answer. Groundspeak does IP Addresses.

Well, technically it was the right answer, since it was conditional. But thanks for letting us know that the condition was false so there were consequences.

Wow, the guys doing this sound like a real bunch of lamp-post film-can hiders! :rolleyes:

Whether intentional or not, you don't know how funny that is. Because that is like the ultimate insult to a DGS member. :laughing: Fact is, distributing lists of tracking numbers, or "discovering" trackables you've never seen from a list is every bit, if not more lame and cheesy as hiding that LPC at Wally World. How they don't get that, I'll never know. And the distribution of this particular tracking number is easily traced right to the top of DGS. Whoops, I'd say there's been a little PR blunder here. :ph34r:

A voice from the N.W. Coast of Calif.

Yes, the Yuck-Meister caches and in the Niagara Region he has some high quality caches.

I still have an unresolved DNF on one of his.

Eh, that's almost 3 months old, and NTHacker is currently in sleep mode. When he awakens, trust me, we'll all know. And suffice it to say, I'm am not the first, nor will I be the last forum poster he accuses of "not Geocaching". :huh:

Edited by Mr.Yuck

[______________] ... is every bit, if not more lame and cheesy as hiding that LPC at Wally World.

Sorry Yuckmeister, on this, I must disagree. :P

(Me? Disagree? Whooda Thunkit?) :lol:

Fill in the blank. It doesn't matter what you fill it with. Anything.

It won't be as lame and cheesy as a Wally World LPC. B)

Not even a Lowe's LPC?

[______________] ... is every bit, if not more lame and cheesy as hiding that LPC at Wally World.

Sorry Yuckmeister, on this, I must disagree. :P

(Me? Disagree? Whooda Thunkit?) :lol:

Fill in the blank. It doesn't matter what you fill it with. Anything.

It won't be as lame and cheesy as a Wally World LPC. B)

Logging a TB you never handled or looked at? Sorry, that's much more cheesier than hiding or finding a WWLPC, IMO. You'd have to armchair log the LPC to beat that. :rolleyes: