Geocaching goes to war

Guest Capt Prozac

Guest Capt Prozac

I am a pilot in the military. I am just finishing up a tour flying Enduring Freedom missions over Afghanistan. I brought 30 small US flags along on all my missions and will use them to create a new cache in the Philadelphia PA/Trenton NJ area. Any ideas for a good name for this cache?

Capt Prozac

Guest Capt Prozac

The more I think about this, I will probably set up this cache either at the Monmouth Battlefield park (Freehold NJ) or the Princeton battlefield. Seems appropriate.

Capt Prozac

quote:
Originally posted by Capt Prozac:

The more I think about this, I will probably set up this cache either at the Monmouth Battlefield park (Freehold NJ) or the Princeton battlefield. Seems appropriate.

Capt Prozac

Monmouth would be nice, get a "twofer" since there is already one in the park.

Guest brokenwing

quote:

I am a pilot in the military. I am just finishing up a tour flying Enduring Freedom missions over Afghanistan. I brought 30 small US flags along on all my missions and will use them to create a new cache in the Philadelphia PA/Trenton NJ area. Any ideas for a good name for this cache?

Capt Prozac

I think hideandseek's suggestion is an excellent one. I also just wanted to say, thanks for what you do. America is behind all our brave men and women in uniform during this war.

Keep the pointy end up!

------------------

Brokenwing

http://www.cordianet.com/geocaching

Guest TJWilson

I don't want to rain on anybody's prade here, but war does not determine who is right, only who is left. I in no way condone what the Taliban did, and I want to see Bush himself pull the trigger, but I don't like the idea of keeping the tragedy fresh in everyone's minds by "celebrating" the war with a Cache named after the operation.

I know that people are going to come back and say that it's not celebrating, but think of what it would look like to sensitive people.

Now that I've vented, do you think you could send me one of those flags? I've been trying to find a US flag to put on my car. (BTW, I'm a Canadian).

Guest EraSeek

We celibrate neither war nor death nor tradgedy, sir, we do celibrate the triumph of good over evil, our brave defenders, and yes, Our enduring freedom and yours as well! No, war does not determine who is right, but we must! And sensitive or not, we must stand up for what is right! (Let's see, killing 3000 or so innocent people, or protect the world from those who would kill 3000 or so innocent people). I've made my choice.

2573_200.jpg

[This message has been edited by EraSeek (edited 23 February 2002).]

I think that's a great idea Capt Prozac. I wish I lived closer.....Would love to find it. Being a huge aviation buff I just have to ask: what kind of kite do you fly anyway?

Thanks for doing a great job too icon_smile.gif

cheers, cliffy

I think that's a great idea Capt Prozac. I wish I lived closer.....Would love to find it. Being a huge aviation buff I just have to ask: what kind of kite do you fly anyway?

Thanks for doing a great job too icon_smile.gif

cheers, cliffy

Guest Capt Prozac

quote:
Originally posted by clatmandu:

Capt., what if you made one or two of the flags travel bugs .

Celebrating war!!!???? Are you kidding??? Do you think I enjoy this stuff? I hate it! Do you think I enjoy being away from my family for months at a time? I do not enjoy watching AAA firing near us. I pray every night that what we are doing does not harm innocents. However, as long as their are extremists the likes of Osama Bin Laden around, you can be rest assured that there are folks like me who will do our utmost to prevent another Sept 11th from happening again. I create this cache in the memory of all victims of 11 Sept. I also create this cache as a reminder that your military is always vigilant (both the Canadian and US military for that matter) and ready to respond at a moments notice. I do not enjoy what I have to do. It is a tremendous (but necessary in this case) drain on resources. However, it is necessary to preserve our way of life. I hope you would all appreciate the steps we must take to prevent the free world from becoming slaves to terror.

I have returned home and have some pictures of the flags in formation with some F-16 Falcons (I do not fly fighters BTW). I also have a picture of my Etrex legend that proves the flags were over Afghanistan. Is there a way to post pictures here? On another note, I would love to create some Travel Bugs. I am new to this so how do I go about it?

Capt Prozac

Guest brokenwing

quote:

Is there a way to post pictures here? On another note, I would love to create some Travel Bugs. I am new to this so how do I go about it?

Capt: I do hope you realize that it was just one misguided individual that felt that way. As a former soldier, I understand and appreciate the sacrifices made.

As to how to post pictures, they will have to be available somewhere on the Internet, then you can put a link to it here in the forums using the following code:

{img}http://www.yourwebpage.com/yourpicture.jpg{/img} you'd have to change the location shown above to the real location of the images, and you'd have to change the {} to []. (I couldn't use the square brackets here, or it would have thought that was a real image and tried to link to it.) See this page for more info: http://forums.Groundspeak.com/ubb/ubbcode.html

You can find out more about travel bugs here: http://www.geocaching.com/track/ and here: http://forums.Groundspeak.com/cgi-bin/forumdisplay.cgi?action=topics&forum=The+Travel+Bug&number=26

Thanks.

------------------

Brokenwing

http://www.cordianet.com/geocaching

font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Capt Prozac:

I hope you would all appreciate the steps we must take to prevent the free world from becoming slaves to terror.

I am not in the military, but I do work as a civilian for the Federal Government in support of the war effort. I am reminded everyday of our men and women who are away from home and the sacrifices they have made.

I, for one, absolutely do appreciate it.

Thank you, Capt.

-exConn

Guest SpinWebby

Since I will likely never get to NJ anytime soon, I vote for a couple of the flags to be travellers. I'd love to just see one.

I too, often pray that our men and women in uniform (here in the US and abroad) know how proud we are of their courage. Having a travelling flag would be a great way to spread the word. We could all post our messages to them on the travel bug's page.

I wanted to send a holiday email message, but felt that everyone else would be doing that too. This would be a unique tribute to the victims of Sept 11, their families and those in service, including the firemen/women and police who continue their work in New York City and all around the world.

And I like the name "Enduring Freedom" for the cache. Hats off, Capt., and I'll say an extra prayer for peace tonight.

Guest BassoonPilot

quote:
Originally posted by SamDeG:

Just one question: How could we trade something of roughly equal value?

How about choosing one that fits your situation:

Leave a photo of yourself, your family, or your children who are privileged to lead life in a free society.

Just my suggestion . . .

quote:
Originally posted by TJWilson:

I don't want to rain on anybody's prade here, but war does not determine who is right, only who is left. I in no way condone what the Taliban did, and I want to see Bush himself pull the trigger, but I don't like the idea of keeping the tragedy fresh in everyone's minds by "celebrating" the war with a Cache named after the operation.

I know that people are going to come back and say that it's not celebrating, but think of what it would look like to sensitive people.

Now that I've vented, do you think you could send me one of those flags? I've been trying to find a US flag to put on my car. (BTW, I'm a Canadian).

I was going to ignore this post until I saw this guy's distasteful, ignorant batch of insults on the subject in the other thread.

But:

[RANT]

So, TJ, you think it's ok to kill terrorists, but not to talk about it in polite company?

By 'sensitive people' it appears you mean 'in denial'.

I bet you're type that thinks it's ok to eat meat from the supermarket, but not to hunt for yourself?

No one considered this 'celebrating' a tragedy, and I have nothing but contempt for the disturbed mind that would project such an idea.

'Can you have flag?' What a useless hypocrite you are.

"Those who forget the past are condemed to repeat it."

[/RANT]

Guest TJWilson

quote:
I bet you're type that thinks it's ok to eat meat from the supermarket, but not to hunt for yourself?

Actually i'm the other way around. I only eat meat from the supermarket when I don't have any that was hunted for in my freezer. Too mang MSG's in supermarket meats. *shudders*

Back on subject, I have reflected on my opinions and have come to realize that I have been a jerk, moron, a**hole... (just to name a few)

I there am making a formal apology to both Capt. Prozac, and to the entire great nation of the United states of America.

I was wrong to post such ignorant nonsense and because I did (and turned a lot of people in these forums against me) I am now considering not posting anymore and using geocaching.com's cache searching and hiding features only.

I am going to try to remove my 2 blatantly ludicrus posts, or at least remove the content of them, and I hope that at least some of you can forgive me. (though I don't expect you to after what I've done).

One last thing, I want to thank the US and all the other armies that are currently serving overseas for doing a dadgum good job at restoring a free society and for putting an end to terrorism.

Trevor John Wilson

trevor.wilson@roadrunner.nf.net

(e-mail me if you want to slander me some more, or just humiliate me further by posting it here)

Guest LoCache

Ah, don't be silly TJWilson! All you did is say what you thought....sounds like now, you realize you hadn't necessarily thought it out all the way. If you retract what you said, and keep on posting polite messages, I think you will find a forgiving bunch.

Remember, our great men and women of the armed forces are over there fighting RIGHT NOW for you to have the RIGHT to have whatever opinion you want. It may not be a popular one, and personally I am glad you changed it because I thought it was stupid (but that's MY right!)...

Anyhow, keep posting, and keep caching....we all make mistakes and it takes a big person to recognize it and admit it.

Thanks again, to Capt. P and all the other brave soldiers who defend my right to geocache and all the other things I take for granted!

Geo

Guest TTracker

Thank God we have the right to free speach over here. That's just one of the things worth fighting for. Those poor b*****d's in the Middle East could be killed for speaking their mind. They're brainwashed from day one into believing we're a bunch of devils. They can't even have free thoughts.

Guest MajBach

I heard about GeoCaching for the first time last Saturday. So far, I am loving it and I'm reading the posts here twice a day. I read and post in alot of formus & newsgroups: cars, boats, fishing, not to mention GPS. One of the FIRST things I noticed in THIS forums was, well, call it a level of maturity. In EVERY other newsgroup or forum I have visited, there is ALWAYS a daily series of posts that are off-topic regarding differences of opinions that eventually lead to profanity, slander and threats. I haven't witnessed any such on-goings here. When I first saw the thread involving TJ's comments, I thought to myself 'here we go again...it never stops'.'The Yankess are going to hate us Canuks even more now'.

I didn't read TJ's posts since they have already been removed, but I got the jist of it. I didn't agree with it and when I first read about the cache, the thought of driving 1000 miles or more to this cache actually crossed my mind; I thought it was terrific! Further, I was also somewhat embarrassed that TJ was Canadian. I think it is human nature to extend the words or actions of one person to be represtative of the entire country.

To my surprise and utter delight, none of what I anticipated would happen ever did. Kudos to everyone here for not letting that happen. Especially to TJ, whom I believe posted a very sincere apology.

I suppose GPS users must have an elevated level of intelligence.

MajBach

------------------

You can't have everything.

Where would you put it?

I posted this message twice. Posted it on the old forum and didn't see it here 'cause now we have pages. so this is the edited version of the second [redundant] post. I couldn't find a delete function. icon_confused.gifnull

[This message was edited by MajBach on March 06, 2002 at 09:35 PM.]

I posted this message twice. Posted it on the old forum and didn't see it here 'cause now we have pages. so this is the edited version of the second [redundant] post. I couldn't find a delete function. icon_confused.gifnull

[This message was edited by MajBach on March 06, 2002 at 09:35 PM.]

Great Cache! Wish we lived close enough to visit.

Capt, will any of your photos be posted? We'd love to see them. Will a flag or two become Travel Bugs?

Thanks for serving our country!

[This message was edited by Four4Fun on March 07, 2002 at 07:27 AM.]

I just want to say that I second what Majbach said, especially regarding TJWilson's willingness to share his apology, and to "see the light" so to speak. A rare thing indeed on public chats.

quote:
To my surprise and utter delight, none of what I anticipated would happen ever did. Kudos to everyone here for not letting that happen. Especially to TJ, whom I believe posted a very sincere apology.

Congrats to Capt Prozac on such a fine cache. And Welcome Home!

I wish I lived close enough to visit your cache.

Hopefully a travel-flag will find its way out to Oregon.