.GPX files

After starting my 30 day trial premium subscription I attempted to create a route that I will be driving this summer in Montana. I succeeded in getting it downloaded to my computer. When I tried to open it my Windows 7 OS gave me an error message that it was unable to open .gpx files. So called free software eventually wants to make you buy the software to fix the problem. Anyone know how I can get this type of file to open in Win 7?

After starting my 30 day trial premium subscription I attempted to create a route that I will be driving this summer in Montana. I succeeded in getting it downloaded to my computer. When I tried to open it my Windows 7 OS gave me an error message that it was unable to open .gpx files. So called free software eventually wants to make you buy the software to fix the problem. Anyone know how I can get this type of file to open in Win 7?

If your goal is simply to read a GPX file on a PC, there's a free program called "EasyGPS" that will open the file. And Garmin has software called "Basecamp". Neither one comes with street maps, although there are free map files online. You get a lot more info by using the Geocaching.com website to read cache pages.

If you instead wish to use the files for finding Geocaches, copy the GPX files (Pocket Queries for example) directly to the GPSr. On a Garmin, you send it to a sub-folder named "GPX". On Smartphones, you usually place it in a "download" directory, or the App itself downloads the Pocket Query from Geocaching.com.

Edited by kunarion

Not sure why you want to open the gpx file, but it's easily done in Notepad.

I would imagine that what you really want to do is put it on your gps?

B.