Recently Viewed Caches not updating

GeoGerms

This issue will be fixed in tomorrow's site update.

Thanks for letting us know B)

Well this issue was reported late Saturday night Seattle time, there were more reports added to the thread during sunday (including a bit of moaning about not getting any response), and by my reckoning Moun10bike's response was early Monday morning (~ 09:30). Now I believe GS have people on call for serious outages and system down issues, but I don't expect they staff the place over the weekend for relatively insignificant stuff like this. So I think 09:30 Monday is a reasonable time for a response, given that they've got to get into work, see what's been reported, look into the problem(s), work out how quickly they can fix it, and then reply on here, so I think those who were expecting a response yesterday are expecting a bit much.

Edited by MartyBartfast

I would have thought, given the major update, that perhaps they might have been on the look out for things like this. Or perhaps not doing an update on Friday afternoon/Saturday morning might be an idea....

Glad it's being fixed, although for me, it's still not working.

I would have thought, given the major update, that perhaps they might have been on the look out for things like this. Or perhaps not doing an update on Friday afternoon/Saturday morning might be an idea....

Glad it's being fixed, although for me, it's still not working.

Underlined the key part...

Well this issue was reported late Saturday night Seattle time, there were more reports added to the thread during sunday (including a bit of moaning about not getting any response), and by my reckoning Moun10bike's response was early Monday morning (~ 09:30). Now I believe GS have people on call for serious outages and system down issues, but I don't expect they staff the place over the weekend for relatively insignificant stuff like this. So I think 09:30 Monday is a reasonable time for a response, given that they've got to get into work, see what's been reported, look into the problem(s), work out how quickly they can fix it, and then reply on here, so I think those who were expecting a response yesterday are expecting a bit much.

I'd also add that piling on a bunch of "me too" posts that don't offer any further info such as browser and version, OS and version, browser addons, etc, really don't help much.

The functionality has been turned back on. It was turned off to alleviate performance issues late last week (it was identified as a significant culprit in site slowdowns, and the team is continuing to investigate).

Have you tried duct tape? Duct tape can fix anything.

I'd also add that piling on a bunch of "me too" posts that don't offer any further info such as browser and version, OS and version, browser addons, etc, really don't help much.

You know - on one hand I agree - we should each when raising an issue provide at least some information which we think might prove useful to those who have to resolve the issue. Although it's not that easy to figure out what actually constitutes useful information until we at least have an idea of what might be causing the issue - kind of chicken-and-egg type situation.

On the other hand:

The functionality has been turned back on. It was turned off to alleviate performance issues late last week (it was identified as a significant culprit in site slowdowns, and the team is continuing to investigate).

So not only did GS know there was an issue - they actually caused the issue by turning the feature off - late last week. I grant you of course that they did so with best intentions - with the aim of reducing some system slowdown - but perhaps it would have been useful for everyone if they'd said so?

So even if every poster provided the information you suggest - it would have been little to no use - in this particular instance.

I'm all for dialogue which, by its very nature - is two way.

Is there a page / section on geocaching.com where GS post known issues?

If there is, I'd certainly make use of it - as it would I think save time for everyone B)

So not only did GS know there was an issue - they actually caused the issue by turning the feature off - late last week. I grant you of course that they did so with best intentions - with the aim of reducing some system slowdown - but perhaps it would have been useful for everyone if they'd said so?

This is old news. It's the third or possibly fourth time over the years that they turned something off just to keep the ship from sinking. Never have they notified anyone until after the fact. A simple yellow banner, like the one announcing upcoming down time, saying, "The site is currently experiencing high server loads and some features may be temporarily unavailable", would go a long way to reduce the anxiety of their users.

Well that's appalling, does it never occur to anyone at HQ to inform your customers, perhaps via the top of page banner as Don_J suggested, that such things have been turned off?

One would think that when Groundspeak finally comes up with something useful, that it would have been extensively tested. That they would recognize the feature would be a drain on its apparently quite small servers.

But, no, once again...Groundspeak giveth, then taketh away, without any notification to its users.

:(

B.

I'm seeing a distinct lack of response from GS on any of the issues raised - and it's mid-week so the it's the weekend and they don't work weekends statement doesn't apply.

Can't see the sense in it myself :blink:

About a year ago, they announced that they were limiting responses on the forum because it gave us users expectations that they might actually do something. No, that is not how it was worded, but it's how the majority of us interpreted it.

This was a major turn around from years past when the users were an active part in the direction that development took. In the past, there was a special forum where ideas were posted, users voted on the ideas, the Lackeys interacted with the dialog, ideas were prioritized and some were actually developed. When a bug was reported, it was acknowledged and fixed within a reasonable time.

In the past, there was a special forum where ideas were posted, users voted on the ideas, the Lackeys interacted with the dialog, ideas were prioritized and some were actually developed. When a bug was reported, it was acknowledged and fixed within a reasonable time.

That sounds to me like a productive and mutually beneficial feedback loop - and to me makes good common sense :)

What we seem to have now just leaves me shaking my head in bewilderment :(

About a year ago, they announced that they were limiting responses on the forum because it gave us users expectations that they might actually do something. No, that is not how it was worded, but it's how the majority of us interpreted it.

Here ya go:

Just out of interest...

Does anyone know if Groundspeak ever read these bug logs and comment if they are acting?

We always read them. Since responding seems to lead to unrealistic expectations, we have cut back on doing so.

"Cut back" has to have been the biggest understatement of 2012. Rather than modify their communication, they cut it out completely, and that policy has since spread to encompass the entire operation.

Shame on us for expecting bugs to be fixed...

All fixed now.

Thanks GS!

Arny, Team A.A.P.

:D

It wasn't "broken" in the first place. GS turned it off without informing its members.

B.