transfer maps to new GPS

my old 60cx crashed (5or6 years old)and I've replaced it with a Montana 600. How can I transfer the license of City Navigator which I bought recently and unlocked for the 60Cx to the new Montana 600.

There is no legal way to do that.

The JHolly statement might be accurate but it might not. There was a time that the license agreement for the City Navigator product and some of the other Garmin map products allowed installing the maps on two GPS receivers. I know I made use of that feature. My recollection is that Garmin stopped this two installation agreement in 2008 or 2009. Bikerneal you need to check the license agreement that came with your CN maps. If that license agreement specifies a single installation then JHolly is correct. If you have two installations available then you need to get another unlock code, add that to Mapsource/Basecamp and send the maps to your Montana.

I have installed basecamp on my ‘puter. Wow along with my new Montana 600 it looks like I have a steep learning curve ahead. I can’t seem to find the answers on Garmin’s web site. Can some direct me to where I can find answers (or provide them :) ) to questions like:

When I get City Navigator authorized for my Mt 600, do I keep it on the puter and transfer maps, routes, geocaches etc. to the GPS or must it be installed on the GPS?

Will Mapsource work with the Mt 600 in the same way as my crashed 60Cx?

I use the GPS for hiking/geocaching as well as on road driving guidance.

If you find that your CN version is pretty up-to-date then it is very unlikely that you have a version that you can transfer with out paying Garmin to get an unlock code. So if it comes to that, then I would suggest you try the Open Street Map version for the Garmin. It works great in a Montana (I use that for the entire globe). and it's free.

And one thing you should be aware of: the Montana has "Dashboards"; you will want to switch back and forth between the "Geocache" dashboard (when hunting a cache) and the "Nuvi" dashboard (when you want a gprs telling you where to go).

Edited by Hynr

If you PHONE Garmin, they MIGHT give you a new unlock code. It is not part of the license agreement, but they have done this in the past.

The call to Garmin support worked. They cancelled (deleted) old GPS and stuff associated with it. He somehow associated an unlock code with the Montana and stepped me through loading it, both in basecamp and on the Montana. Note it was CNNA 2013.04, which I had purchased in March and he asked me if I had purchased it on a CD (Yes). I think it's a good idea to register everything with Garmin "my account".

If you PHONE Garmin, they MIGHT give you a new unlock code. It is not part of the license agreement, but they have done this in the past.

The call to Garmin support worked. They cancelled (deleted) old GPS and stuff associated with it. He somehow associated an unlock code with the Montana and stepped me through loading it, both in basecamp and on the Montana. Note it was CNNA 2013.04, which I had purchased in March and he asked me if I had purchased it on a CD (Yes). I think it's a good idea to register everything with Garmin "my account".

Congratulations. When a GPSr I once owned was stolen, the most I could get out of the Garmin agent was to give me a discount on a new set of maps. He implied that he might have been able to do more if I had gotten a police report but the incident happened on a vacation in London and there were other priorities at the time. So perhaps that is another lesson in getting a map replaced should this ever happen to someone else.