Is 2 (or more) a Crowd?

While out caching today in St. Petersburg, Florida I was able to make a couple more finds. While I was searching around one spot another person came along looking for the same cache. She introduced herself and we both stumbled around trying to find the cache. Neither one of us found it (I think) and we went our separate ways. If I had found it is it ok to tell her or should I keep it to myself and come back later? We were pretty close to each other most of the time.

If I had found it is it ok to tell her or should I keep it to myself and come back later?

So you're wondering if you should stand around and point and laugh? No, wait, that's what I'd do. :P

Just ask the other cachers if they want the help. Maybe they enjoy the hunt. Naw. Well, you never know... :anicute:

If I had found it is it ok to tell her or should I keep it to myself and come back later?

Organized groups tend to agree on either the Huckle-Buckle-Beanstalk method (remain quiet until everyone has found it on their own) or the Three Musketeers method (immediately show the cache to others).

With impromptu group hunts, it's probably a good idea to ask their preference.

If I unexpectedly encounter another cacher while searching for a geocache then I consider us jointly hunting and if either of us makes the find they should alert the other.

iagree.gif

You got it. This is a friendly hobby, not a competitive sport.

It's not a matter of competition; it's a matter of courtesy. Some people very much enjoy the hunt, and having someone show them where the cache is hidden (even if done with friendly intent) would somewhat lessen the caching experience for them. The friendly thing to do is ask.

While out caching today in St. Petersburg, Florida I was able to make a couple more finds. While I was searching around one spot another person came along looking for the same cache. She introduced herself and we both stumbled around trying to find the cache. Neither one of us found it (I think) and we went our separate ways. If I had found it is it ok to tell her or should I keep it to myself and come back later? We were pretty close to each other most of the time.

I'd assume you joined forces to hunt it unless one party explicitly says they don't want to.

That said I did take great delight in jointly hunting a cache a couple of years back where I bumped into what might be called an FTF nemesis (a real-life friend but a rival for FTF). The FTF was still available, we teamed up through circumstance (chance encounter at the cache) and I managed to find the cache, sign it and replace it, all without my new hunting buddy realising. The look on his face when he found the cache only to see my name on the log was priceless.

Of course I considered it a shared FTF, as I'm sure he would have done had he done the same to me.

The friendly thing to do is ask.
No, the friendly thing to do is work together.
But there are different ways of working together. Some prefer to work together huckle-buckle-beanstalk style. Others prefer to work together three-musketeers style. The friendly thing is to figure out a way of working together that makes both of you happy.
But there are different ways of working together. Some prefer to work together huckle-buckle-beanstalk style. Others prefer to work together three-musketeers style. The friendly thing is to figure out a way of working together that makes both of you happy.

If I saw a middle aged man in the middle of the forrest yelling "huckle-buckle-beanstalk style" I'd get pretty nervous.

If I saw a middle aged man in the middle of the forrest yelling "huckle-buckle-beanstalk style" I'd get pretty nervous.

Better yet, 2 middle aged men off in the bushes and you hear one say huckle-buckle-stalk while the other's bending over, nose in the bushes. :laughing:

Better yet, 2 middle aged men off in the bushes and you hear one say huckle-buckle-stalk while the other's bending over, nose in the bushes. :laughing:

I was laughing so hard reading this my kids were wondering what was wrong with me!

I am fairly new to caching, one time my brother in law were out and just before he replaced the signed cache some people pulled up. Trying to use stealth figuring it was mugglers, he got in the car to wait. Well they were also looking for the cache, we had no idea how to replace it without them seeing, but we didn't want them to think it was gone. This was just a quick park and grab under a light skirt. He ended up just throwing it under and of course they saw. But we figured it was more polite than making them think it wasn't there.

I am fairly new to caching, one time my brother in law were out and just before he replaced the signed cache some people pulled up. Trying to use stealth figuring it was mugglers, he got in the car to wait. Well they were also looking for the cache, we had no idea how to replace it without them seeing, but we didn't want them to think it was gone. This was just a quick park and grab under a light skirt. He ended up just throwing it under and of course they saw. But we figured it was more polite than making them think it wasn't there.

Here again, communication is a good thing. I've had that happen to me a couple of times (seeing someone coming up as I'm holding the cache). I let them know and ask if they'd like to turn around a few minutes while I rehide it or treat it as a "group find".

When did we all get afraid of talking to someone we see outside?

>Huckle-Buckle-Beanstalk

I never ever heard of anything like that, nor even something like this ever performed anywhere.

I do something in between, when we are a few searching together, if I find it, I pick it up, and just hold it clearly visible in my hand

and silently wait for others to look at me, he he they always get a good laugh that way,

and I get to see how they continue to search arround after nothing :-)

if it is a FTF hunt, I pick it up, sign it, hide it again, sneek a bit away

log it online via my phone, and say good luck to the other seeker :-)

I did this once with a friend, so much fun..

but normally I just say the first one finding it, he sign it, and he claim the FTF

no big deal really, the other seeker get his find, and a smile too.

Edited by OZ2CPU