Too many GPSes!

just started doing this with my kids which one do you think would be a good one to start out with?

So, I am also rather new to this game, but not completely for gps.... the Rhino is cool. Problem....unless you know others with it, the radio feature is not all that great (unless you buy a second one). The GPS part functions very well... I have the 520 and it is NOT paperless, not sure on the 655. I now also have the 450T. Love it (but have only been out once with it for geocaching). Still trying to get used to it, but seems to work very well.

I would suggest you get the best one that you can afford...now with that being said, that is not always the most expensive.... I do not need the camera that some of them have built in. Didn't get one with the camera. saved about 200$ on that option! Have heard (second hand) that eTrex isn't all that great. Oregon and Montana are pretty good...Cost: I went with the Oregon. you will have to look at options and weigh against cost. Otherwise, all are good units!

I was considering buying the Garmin Oregon 450T. Does that one work well with geocaching? Like adding the caches to it for the whole paperless thing? All these years I've been writing hand scribbled notes and although I've made it part of my routine I'd like to go paperless.Anyone have any comments on the Oregon 450T?

I have the Oregon 550, essentially the same unit but the 550 has a camera. I think I touched on this on the other thread, but anyway.... :rolleyes:

The 450 will work great for paperless Geocaching once you learn and master Pocket Queries. You will have the cache description, hint if provided, and the 5 most recent logs for every cache you download. But you do need to understand that just like Geocaching itself, there is a bit of a learning curve involved when starting out with a new GPS. If you're accustomed to smartphone caching, don't expect to just pick up the unit on Day 1 and go out caching with it...they're generally not as intuitive and newbie-friendly as the smartphone apps. This may be because the app is designed just for Geocaching, while the Oregon is an all-purpose GPS that just happens to do Geocaching very well. So the device has many different profiles and preferences for you to set up, depending on if you're using it for hiking, boating, driving, Geocaching, or whatever. So it is extremely customizable based on the wants and needs of the user. Expect to play with it awhile and take some time getting it set up like you want it, and get comfortable with how it operates, before you decide to take it out caching, or you may just end up getting frustrated on the trail.

It takes a little while to master it but it's well worth the effort in the end :)