Paddle Cache Attribute

JASTA 11

The current 'boat required' attribute alone isn't adequate enough for most caches requiring water travel.

The attribute shows a motor boat. However, motor boats aren't always practical in many spots caches are hidden.

An attribute showing a canoe, a kayaker, or even a paddle would be more appropriate for caches in less accessable areas.

NPS_map_symbol_canoe_access.pngkayak-tourist-sign_t.gif

Or show one of Jesus walking on water. :laughing:

Back on topic, this is very important to know if a larger boat can get to GZ. Some body of water do ban boat with motors. I can name a whole bunch in Oregon from the top of my head. On the Willamette river, some boats cant go everywhere on the river due to some (dead) channels being too shallow or narrow or dirty (plug up the water pump in the motor).

You can get to some caches on the McKenize River via an inner tube. (only in the summer when the river is at it lowest which its Aug)

Or show one of Jesus walking on water. :laughing:

Back on topic, this is very important to know if a larger boat can get to GZ. Some body of water do ban boat with motors. I can name a whole bunch in Oregon from the top of my head. On the Willamette river, some boats cant go everywhere on the river due to some (dead) channels being too shallow or narrow or dirty (plug up the water pump in the motor).

You can get to some caches on the McKenize River via an inner tube. (only in the summer when the river is at it lowest which its Aug)

As I've been told many times "It's the other Jesús who walks on water."

Back on topic: I guess we need twenty or thirty icons, depending on the size of the watercraft? Surf board. Inner tube. Kayak. Canoe. Ferry boat. Water taxi. Walking on water. Ice friendly. Hovercraft. Swim the last twenty feet. Ad nauseum. "Available by watercraft" seems to fit the bill.

Back on topic: I guess we need twenty or thirty icons, depending on the size of the watercraft? Surf board. Inner tube. Kayak. Canoe. Ferry boat. Water taxi. Walking on water. Ice friendly. Hovercraft. Swim the last twenty feet. Ad nauseum. "Available by watercraft" seems to fit the bill.
Exactly. I don't think it makes sense to use attributes to specify all the permutations of different kinds of boats. A single generic attribute makes sense. If people with canoes or kayaks or sailboats or houseboats or whatever don't relate to the current "motorboat" icon, then the icon should be made more generic.

c7b0a6e2-4b46-4db2-8a78-13fe21e726c8.gif?rnd=0.8744929

Exactly. I don't think it makes sense to use attributes to specify all the permutations of different kinds of boats. A single generic attribute makes sense. If people with canoes or kayaks or sailboats or houseboats or whatever don't relate to the current "motorboat" icon, then the icon should be made more generic.

c7b0a6e2-4b46-4db2-8a78-13fe21e726c8.gif?rnd=0.8744929

If a cache requires a watercraft than a generic icon would do. If you're filtering caches by a watercraft attribute anyway you're probably going to want to read the full cache description and a responsible CO would mention that only a shallow draft boat would work or that the cache is accessible by a ferry boat (and will require a fee).

As I've been told many times "It's the other Jesús who walks on water."

Why read so much into this?

All that I'm proposing is an attribute that differentiates a paddle craft versus a motor boat, not one for each possible type. Insinuating that is stupid.

The icons were posted as potential examples.