South Pole

Guest EraSeek

Guest guerroloco

There appears to be a problem with the GPS display in the photo. The compass rose on the navigation screen shows N, S, E and W; but, as everyone knows, at the South Pole all directions are North!

Guest Markwell

f walking about 28 feet (pi*r^2) you could watch the GPS cycle through W001° to W180° and then cycle back down through E180° to E001°.

To paraphrase: "All lons lead to pole."

Guest ClayJar

quote:
Originally posted by guerroloco:

The compass rose on the navigation screen shows N, S, E and W; but, as everyone knows, at the South Pole all directions are North!

Actually, the latitude on the screen is S89d 59m 59.3s, so there still is a defined meaning for the four cardinal directions. You must not have read the article well.tongue.gif

Guest PneumaticDeath

quote:
Originally posted by Markwell:

Wow - tough one...

I supposed the interesting thing would be to walk in a circle around the pole - maybe about 3 feet away from it - and in the course of walking about 28 feet (pi*r^2)

Actually, at a radius of 3 ft., it would be just shy of 19 ft around (2*Pi*r), Pi*r^2 would give you the area of the circle. 28 sq. ft. (the floor space of a medium sized closet.)

icon_wink.gif

-- Mitch

[This message has been edited by PneumaticDeath (edited 07 July 2001).]

Guest PneumaticDeath

quote:
Originally posted by Markwell:

Wow - tough one...

I supposed the interesting thing would be to walk in a circle around the pole - maybe about 3 feet away from it - and in the course of walking about 28 feet (pi*r^2)

Actually, at a radius of 3 ft., it would be just shy of 19 ft around (2*Pi*r), Pi*r^2 would give you the area of the circle. 28 sq. ft. (the floor space of a medium sized closet.)

icon_wink.gif

-- Mitch

[This message has been edited by PneumaticDeath (edited 07 July 2001).]

Guest MountainDiver

Did he submit his report to the Degree Confluence folks?

------------------

The MountainDiver

N 34 01.649

W084 27.211

"GPS satellites are nice because they can answer two of the three most common questions in my life: "What time is it?" and "Where am I?" If they could also somehow determine whether I have any clean underwear left, the bases would be covered." --- The Brunching Shuttlecocks