How is it possible?

I found a cache the other day that is a premium member cache. I am a basic member. Here is the head scratcher... on the map on the geocaching site, if I zoom out far enough, I can see the cache, I can click on it and it brings me to the upgrade your membership page. Now I have 2 separate geocaching apps I use, Neongeo and c:geo. In Neongeo, I can see the cache and this was the app I was using the other night. After I found it, I was able to log the find through Neongeo as well. However, in c:geo I can see the same cache, but when I try to get the details on it, it tells me I cant get them and to upgrade my membership then closes the cache popup. Back to Neongeo, it will allow me to download full cache details. So far there is only one cache that this has happened with. I just thought it was interesting that it happened. If it is a glitch with Neongeo, then why only one premium cache and not them all?

yes, I should not be able to see a premium cache unless I am a premium member, yet this one particular one I can as well as get the details on. I dont understand how or why when I should not be able to. I am assuming it is a glitch, but why with only one cache and not all?

There are a couple bugs in Geocachine related to this, we weren't paying attention to caches picked up and my kids were able to log several premium caches using their non-premium accounts, not sure if it's being fixed or not, just one of those "undocumented features" we programmers know as bugs ;).

Now we try and be vigilant before submitting logs using their basic member accounts.

yes, I should not be able to see a premium cache unless I am a premium member, yet this one particular one I can as well as get the details on. I dont understand how or why when I should not be able to. I am assuming it is a glitch, but why with only one cache and not all?

Some apps look for caches at websites in addition to Geocaching.com so it might be that Neongeo finds it somewhere else that doesn't involve the level of membership. Of course, it requires that someone has put the cache on the other site ...

Edited by LMichaelR