New Geocacher introduction

malamute-5

Figured I should probably say a quick hello to everybody out there!

About a year ago while walking up Baldwin st, Dunedin, New Zealand (my home town) I bumped into this fellow who had a GPS and got talking to him (sadly I'm not sure of his username on here). I had heard of Geocaching but never really thought about it. He offered to show me and we walked to the top of the street and sure enough, within a few seconds he had cache in hand and logged his find. I thought that was pretty cool but once again never thought anymore of it! About 4 days ago now I was listening to the radio and they were talking about Geocaching and they gave the geocaching.com website so I thought I'd take a look and see if there were any geocaches near my house. Well, I wasn't expecting the 7 or so within 5km and the hundreds upon hundreds littered throughout the whole city!!!

I already had a GPS so I figured I had nothing to lose and I put in the coordinates for what would be my first find and the start of a new adventure for not only me but my wife who tagged along!

I now have 6 finds and I just want to thank everyone who hides and maintains caches all over the world!

Hello, and welcome to the sport/hobby/addiction! We also learned about geocaching from a radio show that two geocachers were on. In fact, my Mum's final Christmas gift to Pokoki Nui was a GPS. We cache in our home area of Victoria, BC, Canada, where we go on mini breaks and on day trips. It is fun and informative - especially when you do some Earthcaches. We did one on tsunami danger on our way home from Tofino yesterday.

Happy Caching!