Not Validated Members can log caches

DanPan

No, not a bug. It's been mentioned a few times in the forums.

Apparently, it's something to do with phone-caching, and not needing to validate their accounts.

It doesn't seem like a good thing, but that's the way it is. Not sure if Groundspeak is concerned or not. They haven't "fixed" it in all this time, so I guess they don't care.

B.

Because the member/his email address has not been validated by the user, the "send message" feature is disabled and the user is not reachable...

Yup, that's a problem with allowing this to continue.

Groundspeak should have addressed the issue a long time ago, and hasn't.

But there's a brand-new color scheme that's been implemented, and 31 new souvenirs for no particular reason, when people have been asking for souvenirs for countries for a long time. Plus other issues.

Priorities.

B.

Yessiree! Another thing is that a lot of the non validated people are doing multiple finds.

Some of it is that 'didn't work' scenario, but some are simply creating new 'finds' just to drop TB's and add favourite points.

That and not being able to contact them is not good. I've figured out that one in our area was introduced to caching by someone I know, and I'm going to see if they can do some lecturing in a friendly manner, but that should not be.

I support no activity until validated properly. However they could hire someone at great cost to run around fixing all the logging errors instead.

Doug 7rxc

Edited by 7rxc

Making your cache PMO doesn't solve this problem since also non-PMO members can log a PMO cache, as long as they have the right link to do so.

In my opinion everybody that is involved in playing the game of geocaching should be reached by mail through his account.

Today I deleted a found-it on one of my caches by a non-validated member since his nickname is not in the physical logbook.

Normally I would first like to contact that person and ask for additional info.

However with non-validated members this simply is not possible.

Making your cache PMO doesn't solve this problem since also non-PMO members can log a PMO cache, as long as they have the right link to do so.

I was assuming that:

• non-validation is a smartphone thing
  • smartphone users that haven't validated their email address wouldn't be premium members
    • Can you be a premium member and not have a valid email address?

Which would mean that non-premium members using a smartphone weren't going to see PMO caches in order to log them. Correct?

I was assuming that:

• non-validation is a smartphone thing
  • smartphone users that haven't validated their email address wouldn't be premium members
    • Can you be a premium member and not have a valid email address?

Which would mean that non-premium members using a smartphone weren't going to see PMO caches in order to log them. Correct?

No, you have to validate an email address to become a premium member because you have to communicate throughout a payment transaction. While a new, invalidated member could log a PMO cache, they are extremely unlikely to do so because they wouldn't know how, and they wouldn't be finding such caches unless they were with a premium member. If they had that guidance to start with, they probably would have validated their email.

When this first started, we had two local invalidated members that were finding caches and leaving them out in the open. As no one could contact them to offer guidence, I temporarily made dozens of my caches PMO. After they got distracted by something else, I switched my caches back.

No, not a bug. If they forced the new smartphone user to spend the 15 seconds that it would take to validate their email address, they might lose interest and not become a geocacher at all.

... And we all know what a big loss to the caching community that would be. :o

GS really should get an email address validated, even if a new user gets a day or two to do it.

Today I deleted a found-it on one of my caches by a non-validated member since his nickname is not in the physical logbook.

Normally I would first like to contact that person and ask for additional info.

However with non-validated members this simply is not possible.

The majority of our fake finds (higher rated terrain mostly) are non-validated members with "never" as the last time they've logged in.

No way to contact them, we delete 'em.

- Funny that not one has ever emailed back asking why...