"Found by user" bug

J Grouchy

when I go to the 'all geocaches' under my name, the 'found by user' column shows incorrect dates for the "last found" portion in black text. my dates (the green dates) show correctly, but in several instances the black date, which is the last time it was found by anyone, will show an earlier date than the green date, which is when I found it.

see image below for example:

puf4.png

The date in black is when it was last found.

(Not when it was last found, before you found it)

The green date is when you found it.

The last date found can be before, or after you found it...

puf4.png

Cache 1. Last finder was 6/23 you found it yesterday. No-one has found it since.

(Any other cacher looking at the list will see the last found as 'yesterday')

Cache 2. Shows someone else has found it, after you did

Cache 3. You are probably the last finder, but someone else could have found it on the same day- before, or after you did.

The date in black is when it was last found.

(Not when it was last found, before you found it)

The green date is when you found it.

The last date found can be before, or after you found it...

I want to make clear I know nothing about this -- I can't even find that list! -- but strictly from interpreting your description (which makes sense and agrees with the output), what you're saying is that the black date is the last time it was found other than by me. You never get around to saying that explicitly, but that seems to be what the OP was confused about, and I wasn't sure I understood it until I read over your very clear explanation of the examples. This is one of those cases where the output is maximally useful if you understand it, but there's no good way to make it obvious what's being presented.

I've never really understood why they work so hard to crowd these two pieces of information into the same column. Why not one column "Found by User" and another column "Last Found by Others"? The information about other finds doesn't even make sense in the "by user" column. I guess they're trying to not waste horizontal space on 2 columns when, in some cases, there is no "Found by User" information, but when that happens, right there in black and white in the "Found by User" column is information that has nothing to do with it being found by the user.

"Found by User" seems to be a badly named column.

My understanding was, at least when viewing another user's finds, that this column contained (in black) the date that user found it, along with (in green) the date you found it, if applicable.

It seems that the behaviour is different when viewing your own finds, yet the column is still named the same.

By definition, if it's "found by user", then the black and green dates will always be the same (assuming unique finds at least), which makes one of them redundant. So having the black date switch to "last found by any other user" kinda makes sense, but (assuming that's what it's doing), the heading should be updated to reflect this.