How do I become a volunteer?

catrim

Hi all, I found my first cache on tuesday evening and i am totally hooked, i will be doing this for a very long time! (15 in 3 days now) I get around quite a lot in the south east area of the UK, and would like to become a volunteer cache approver. I have seen the map of the world, showing the volunteers, and i would be able to fill in a chunk of the uk which is uncovered. I have read the section on volunteers on geocaching website, which explains a bit, but not how to apply, apart from you can be nominated by forum members. Is there a link somewhere to start the process off please?

TIA

Hi all, I found my first cache on tuesday evening and i am totally hooked, i will be doing this for a very long time! (15 in 3 days now) I get around quite a lot in the south east area of the UK, and would like to become a volunteer cache approver. I have seen the map of the world, showing the volunteers, and i would be able to fill in a chunk of the uk which is uncovered. I have read the section on volunteers on geocaching website, which explains a bit, but not how to apply, apart from you can be nominated by forum members. Is there a link somewhere to start the process off please?

TIA

This is a great question. Also Please ignore the people that say you automatically get denied by asking. Congrats on your first Geocache and welcome to the Sport!!! Groundspeak will contact you if they believe that you are an active and good geocacher in the community. Use a link below for more info.

Edited by fitbobcat

I love the enthusiasm you are showing here after your first three days of playing the game/hobby. Being from the UK, Ican I assume you are familiar with Cricket? What would you think of someone like me (from Texas) who showed up and watched one match then announced I wanted to be an official? After you blokes finished laughing at me, and if I was able to convince you that I earnestly was interested, you might suggest I watch many more matches, memorize the rules, and even play the game for a while, ALL before you would seriously consider me qualified to be an official.

Just a thought, give yourself a a good bit of time in as many aspects of the game as possible before you try to become an 'official'.

The UK is fully covered by the current team of UK & Ireland reviewers.

When they decide that they need another reviewer (for whatever reason) they usually consult among themselves and consider possible suitable candidates bearing in mind all those factors mentioned in the links in the above posts.

The details of the current reviewing team (and the regions of UK & Ireland they cover) can be found in the table of contents in the link below. These details are not fixed in stone because the reviewers often cover other areas as and when necessary.

Geocaching wiki for the UK & Ireland.

MrsB

Edited by The Blorenges

Thank you to everyone for your helpful replies. K13 that was hilarious, and I see your point!

I just know that i am in it for the long haul, and very addicted! Just had 7 no finds in a row though cos i didnt check recent logs saying they were missing, d'oh!

Just had 7 no finds in a row though cos i didnt check recent logs saying they were missing, d'oh!

Unless one of the logs is from someone who found it before or perhaps the owner (who should have disabled the cache but didn't), don't let DNF logs stop you from looking if you have the time. There are few better feelings than what you get when you find a cache that the last several cachers overlooked. B)