Any wierd/funny/interseting/unusual photos out there from cache hunts?

MTBguy

I was walking back from one recently and spotted a white grocery plastic sack hanging on a branch... within 20 feet, I could smell it... It was a FULL, several gallons, of crap... Someone did some seious dumping...

I'm all for cache in/trash out but there's no way in hell I'm dragging 30 pounds of feces down a trail...

Sorry no pics icon_wink.gif

geosig.jpg

Contents Under Pressure...

quote:
Originally posted by Acceptable Risk:

I was walking back from one recently and spotted a white grocery plastic sack hanging on a branch... within 20 feet, I could smell it... It was a FULL, several gallons, of crap... Someone did some seious dumping...

I'm all for cache in/trash out but there's no way in hell I'm dragging 30 pounds of feces down a trail...

Perhaps it was a protest against people who don't pick up after their dogs.

quote:

Sorry no pics icon_wink.gif

Thank you very, very much.

--

Wendy Chatley Green

wcgreen@eudoramail.com

The cache was actually an event cache based around taking photos. It was a scavenger hunt using existing loctionless caches from the website. The object for each team was to log as many of the goals as possible, getting extra credit for logging more than one goal in a photo.

They said there would be extra points for best photo. So I proceeded to do something to a statue of a buffalo that I probably shouldn't have. icon_wink.gif

733605_200.jpg

beatnik

Oh no! I've been compared to the Ivy Hot Stuntaz! Does that make me immortal, or has the clock my 15 minutes of fame ticked down to zero?

I think Blodlizrd's pic's are the most humorous. Who took them, though? I though he was caching with a golden retriever on that one...

- If the cat had kittens in the oven, we wouldn't call 'em biscuits. -

Have yet to come across anything as unusual as these pictures. Love some of what all of you have posted icon_smile.gif

Don't know if this qualifies (and I posted this in the travel bug forum a while back) but my friends and I had an interesting time with a "Locutus of Borg" travel cache that's trying to hook up with an "Enterprise" travel cache. -You know how you're usually supposed to take just one or two pictures of a traveller? Well we had a little too much fun and got a bit carried away during Locutus' "visit". We took so many pictures we had to put to put them up on a whole separate website icon_smile.gifCheck it out!

778226_200.jpg

The Missing piece cache by Mlord

This was a ski-hill in full snowmaking mode I happened across on top of a mountain while looking for a cache at midnight. In the center you can just make out the headlight of a snowmobile screaming down the hill to most likely come and ask me what the hell I was doing with my car on the slope.

"Software isn't released, it's allowed to escape."

quote:
Originally posted by themagician:

well I read all about the travels of

locutus. Someone has way too much time on their hands. The saddest part is I took the time to read it, AND i liked it...

Now I'm starting to worry about myself

That was great! They were very creative with Locutus of Borg, wouldn't it be great if more travel bug logs were writen like that? Check out the log and picture for "Snow White" that RacerB put there on March 24, 2002.

The Mountain Bike Guy from Joplin MO

------------------------------------

Long Live Long Rides

> well I read all about the travels of

> locutus. Someone has way too much time on their > hands.

Ahhhh, but the real scary thing is that there were two other people with me with equally too much time on their hands! lol!

> The saddest part is I took the time to read it, > AND i liked it...

Why thank you. icon_cool.gif

> Now I'm starting to worry about myself

You're worried? I put the site up. I'm the one that's really worried!

Actually, I'm worried about the people who sent out the travelling BORG cube to GET the travelling Locutus! (who's trying to get to the travelling Enterprise) That made me laugh! Now that's somebody with way too much time on their hands icon_smile.gif

quote:
Originally posted by The Diver:

BuckD and I encountered this on the University of Texas campus.

http://home.austin.rr.com/mcurry/pictures/wheel.jpg

Looks like somebody didn't know how to lock there bike up the right way and paid the price! I know someone who, for a joke, took a bike that was locked to a roof rack by a locking fork mount. They simply left the fork mounted to the car, and took the rest of the bike! icon_razz.gif

The Mountain Bike Guy from Joplin MO

------------------------------------

Long Live Long Rides

We need help identifying these huge green fruity things we've found on several cache hunts in TN. They're huge! My brain's almost as big as that right one..... I did a search, they may be called 'Osage Oranges' but the photo wouldn't load so I couldn't be sure. Does anyone know?

Gotta keep a heads-up caching in the fall, these babies would clobber you from a 30ft drop!

Remember that happiness is a way of travel, not a destination. - Roy M. Goodman

Found this in a neighborhood.

What is a Sand meeting? (sorry it’s a little blurry)

186829_400.jpg

I have a pic I have uploaded yet of a real Travel Bug!

Was driving through a neighbor searching for a park and came upon and VW beetle parked in front of a house and it was covered in a map of the world. Belonged to a travel agency and the tag was personalized to read “TVLBUG”

This Isn't rocket science...

587_1100.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by MountainMudbug:

We need help identifying these huge http://www.geocities.com/graphixoutpost/images/greenthingy.jpg we've found on several cache hunts in TN. They're huge! My brain's almost as big as that right one..... I did a search, they may be called 'Osage Oranges' but the photo wouldn't load so I couldn't be sure. Does anyone know?

Gotta keep a heads-up caching in the fall, these babies would clobber you from a 30ft drop!

Remember that happiness is a way of travel, not a destination. - Roy M. Goodman

Your link took me nowhere but from your description and location, I would say osage orange is a correct guess. Other names I've heard the same tree called are bois-d'arc (bodock), horse apple and mock orange. It's scientific name is Maclura pomifera (Dang! I knew that Forestry Class I took in high school would be good for something one day!)

The wood is good for hardwood floors and bows. Supposedly the large green thingies are good to eat, but I've never knowingly tried one.

Visit the Mississippi Geocaching Forum at

http://pub98.ezboard.com/bgeocachingms

quote:

We need help identifying these huge http://www.geocities.com/graphixoutpost/images/greenthingy.jpg we've found on several cache hunts in TN. They're huge! My brain's almost as big as that right one..... I did a search, they may be called 'Osage Oranges' but the photo wouldn't load so I couldn't be sure. Does anyone know?

That is a Hedge Apple which grows on a Osage Orange. The trees were planted and aggressively grown and pruned to form fence lines in the 1800's before barbed wire replaced it's need. We have them all over Oklahoma. Named for the Osage Indian their wood is VERY strong and very resistive to insects. They make very good fence post wood. I hear they make great bows as well.

Rumor has it that the apple will repel insects and many people use them for that purpose.

beatnik

we called'em "Booger-Balls" when I was a kid!

icon_rolleyes.gif

quote:
Originally posted by beatnik:

quote:

That is a Hedge Apple which grows on a Osage Orange. The trees were planted and aggressively grown and pruned to form fence lines in the 1800's before barbed wire replaced it's need. We have them all over Oklahoma. Named for the Osage Indian their wood is VERY strong and very resistive to insects. They make very good fence post wood. I hear they make great bows as well.

Rumor has it that the apple will repel insects and many people use them for that purpose.

beatnik

quote:
Originally posted by Ramness570:

What is a Sand meeting?

"If you are new to town, you might be asking yourself "What is SAND?" South Atlantans for Neighborhood Development is the name of our neighborhood association and consists of the six neighborhoods; Benteen, Boulevard Heights, McDonough-Guice, North Ormewood Park, Ormewood Park and Woodland Hills. SAND is a 501 (3) © nonprofit corporation and was formed in 1974 to serve the needs of the community. The role of our organization is to offer all residents the opportunity to participate in improving the quality of life within our community. We do this by offering a forum for discussion of issues affecting our neighborhoods, collectively working to formulate solutions, and promoting community pride and a sense of belonging."

-WR

"Why worry when you can obsess?"

At the Lorance Trail cache in Little Rock, one cacher from Memphis ran into a razorback and had quite the experience.

When I went for that cache, I took ChinaJack & cwlutterloh with me. These are the pictures I took at that cache. Although we didn't encounter a razorback, we did seem to be hounded by a razorback fan...

icon_smile.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Jamie Z:

quote:
Originally posted by bitbrain:

We couldn't resist the opportunity let Salvo know how much we appreciate him here.

BB, I'm curious.. what did Salvo's log entry say? icon_razz.gif

Jamie

Ok, guys... Jamie already knows what this log says, because he posted in another thread a couple of months ago. icon_wink.gif

Here's an excerpt from Salvo's adventure. You'll have to visit the cache page for the rest.

quote:
...I spot the cache and am about to pull the cache when I hear a snap. I come out of my cache find euphoria and look in the direction to see what.. a dog? No.. RAZORBACK!!

He's about 40ft from me. My first thought is the yell ''GIT!'', and I threw my GPS at him (Looking back on that, WHAT was I thinking!), then I threw my Cellular at him, then I threw my green cache bag at him -all missing the pig.

SNORT!!! He's already mad at me for being in his turf, and now he's madder. All I see are tusks, fur, and leaves flying as he charges.

Visit Lorance Trail Cache and read Salvo's log from September 29 for the rest of the story.

quote:
Originally posted by Capt Prozac:

These were taken while setting up the Enduring Freedom Geocache. The flags are the cache contents.

http://img.Groundspeak.com/cache/16050_900.jpg http://img.Groundspeak.com/cache/16050_800.jpg

And what a great cache this is! Well worth the effort it took to find. I was not going home without my flag, LOL. Thanks for placing it AND the flags, and also thanks to Faderaven for helping to maintain it.

Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.