Geocaching.com New Look

About the squirrel, GS is making a HUGE mistake there!
I disagree. The squirrel in the new geocaching.com layout is nothing like the other site's blue whatever-it-really-is mascot.

And the squirrel theme gave me the idea for this background image for my cache listings:

c65c0bff-deaf-4fe7-9f6f-2d6ab6b4b343.png?rnd=0.2702404

Unfortunately, this background image won't work unless the background image is centered, and they aren't centered. :(

I see squirrels going up the wall. :blink:

Yep. That's the idea. A squirrel sitting at the bottom right, and then other squirrels climbing the sides of the content (which I intended to be centered between the climbing squirrels).

I am ok with it... I can still log in, log my caches, etc. They are just keeping it from being stale.

When did reliable functionality start to equal stale? :unsure:

Edited to add:

This kind of random 'site improvement' is making me want to exclusively use GSAK to log my finds and never visit the site again. :angry:

Edited by AZcachemeister
I disagree. The squirrel in the new geocaching.com layout is nothing like the other site's blue whatever-it-really-is mascot.

And the squirrel theme gave me the idea for this background image for my cache listings:

Unfortunately, this background image won't work unless the background image is centered, and they aren't centered. :(

It's no wonder the squirrels are being driven up the wall. <_<

It's no wonder the squirrels are being driven up the wall. <_<

:lol:

Here is what the site looks like on my computer....

GS_Home_ScreenShot_zps7bda88ef.jpg

It looks the same when I log out and return to the site.

This is worse than the gray icon disaster!!

When I made the comment the headings were light yellow letters on a cream background. Now they do look like your screenshot. Someone has fixed it....

I like the new picture, very scenic:

2db0e762-d203-4987-9083-9ed17c03d3b8.jpg

But this would seem more appropriate to caching these days...

de610313-a65c-477a-b0a9-f6db4f6de9ec.jpg

No joke. It's sad

Well, they never really like to publicly admit about it being a parking lot game. Until last month that is, when the Blog posted a picture of a film canister under a lampskirt, and said LPC's are "perfect" for streaks. On top of that, it was a rather filthy and disgusting looking lampskirt. :ph34r: Speaking of which, the picture that *is* being used, has been in use on the Blog for quite some time now.

I'm actually fine with the layout. I usually get ticked off when websites I frequent go through a redesign, but I'm totally OK with this. I haven't been following along too much on what might have got broken with it though.

P.S. The squirrel freaked me out the first time I noticed it. I'm OK with him now too though. :)

I'm not smart enough to post a photo but here's a link to the November 10, 2000 Geocaching home page on Wayback. It's evolved a little in 13 years.

IMO, the best layout was the one that had the gallery of user submitted images rotated across the top of the page. I think that this showed the newcomer that there was a community, that people were having fun and that they were going to interesting places. That there was more to it than parking lot micros.

I wonder how many people discover this activity as a "smartphone app", and never realize that it's not just about the numbers and the parking lots, that the game can be so much more. In this case, two things will happen. They will get totally obsessed, or simply lose interest due to repetitive boredom.

Go to Trackables Inventory or Trackables Collection or any page that is shorter and you'll see the brown.

I also just noticed a white squirrel sitting on top of the brown stuff on those pages.

f850d16c-f268-4bfd-a44f-fae0db65103d.jpg?rnd=0.975445

I saw that and was wondering what Opie was doing on the GC front page. As for the new layout, other than that it broke some Greasemonkey scripts, I have no problem with it. It looks nice. I guess my only complaint would the big brown page that appears momentarily between pages. I guess I'll get used to it.

I rather miss the "Recently Viewed". Was rather handy when sniffing out new caches.

It's supposed to be fixed next update, tomorrow I think.

After all on an office wall at HQ is a sign that reads, “Let’s make bigger mistakes tomorrow.”

Edited by Roman!

I rather miss the "Recently Viewed". Was rather handy when sniffing out new caches.

It's supposed to be fixed next update, tomorrow I think.

After all on an office wall at HQ is a sign that reads, “Let’s make bigger mistakes tomorrow.”

Snicker, snooooorrttt ... now I have to clean nose goobers off my computer screen.

I'm not smart enough to post a photo but here's a link to the November 10, 2000 Geocaching home page on Wayback. It's evolved a little in 13 years.

IMO, the best layout was the one that had the gallery of user submitted images rotated across the top of the page. I think that this showed the newcomer that there was a community, that people were having fun and that they were going to interesting places. That there was more to it than parking lot micros.

I wonder how many people discover this activity as a "smartphone app", and never realize that it's not just about the numbers and the parking lots, that the game can be so much more. In this case, two things will happen. They will get totally obsessed, or simply lose interest due to repetitive boredom.

Agreed. I still miss the pictures. A lot. I feel that a lot of the soul of geocaching went out of the site when they took that down.

Here I used a background that matches the Brown Flash, to see how it looks.

Try this:

http://www.geocaching.com/images/tlnMasters/pattern-topo.jpg

If I didn't already have custom backgrounds on all my caches, I might just go with it.

Thanks! I was looking for that tile, but couldn't immediately figure out where it was, so I gave up. :anicute:

Here I've added that background tile. Now with the Brown Flash and the dark green, that page will be nauseating most cachers. Cool! :anibad:

Edited by kunarion