Geocaching.com New Look

What's with the goats?

I agree. They are obviously looking in the wrong place.

2db0e762-d203-4987-9083-9ed17c03d3b8.jpg

Where's Julie Andrews?

As for the design, it's not too bad and I guess we'll get used to it. TBH it's good to change things around a bit occasionally, and the skillset required for this change is different to the skillset required to fix most of the other stuff so it's unlikely that other fixes have been delayed because of this change.

There is a serious bug with the new design. All gifs/links to coordinate checkers in mysteries don't show anymore. I checked it both in FF as MIE. Looking at the source, the code is still there, but some styling prevent showing it. A quick fix is needed.

looks like geocheck.org has dropped off the face of the planet, so links to it won't be showing up, geochecker.com still works though, so probably not Groundspeak's fault.

There is a serious bug with the new design. All gifs/links to coordinate checkers in mysteries don't show anymore. I checked it both in FF as MIE. Looking at the source, the code is still there, but some styling prevent showing it. A quick fix is needed.

looks like geocheck.org has dropped off the face of the planet, so links to it won't be showing up, geochecker.com still works though, so probably not Groundspeak's fault.

I only own one puzzle, but my Certitute link is right where it belongs.

looks like geocheck.org allowed their name registration to lapse and only renewed it yesterday, so it will probably start working within hours as DNS sorts itself out.

and the skillset required for this change is different to the skillset required to fix most of the other stuff so it's unlikely that other fixes have been delayed because of this change.

I agree, but I believe that Groundspeak has too many people on the pay roll that are dealing with marketing, graphics, etc and too few who are skilled programmers and developpers.

I guess many of the layout changes only happen to keep the people with the skillset for these tasks busy.

Cezanne

looks like geocheck.org allowed their name registration to lapse and only renewed it yesterday, so it will probably start working within hours as DNS sorts itself out.

It's back, so I guess it has nothing to do with the layout. Need to find why certitude doesn't show.

I hope this refresh is a precursor to a bunch of fixes / refinements / enhancements.

The pages on the site are effectively generated dynamically, using varying content, and one of the challenges of doing that is going to be building something which looks good AND copes with different content being served to different people _without_ breaking the layout.

AND it needs to be able to cope with the ways different browsers render pages - also a PITA.

AND it needs to be able to cope with future changes to the site engine / features - or at least facilitate rapid repair of anything that gets broken as a result of these.

So _hopefully_ this refresh is about getting that interface into a nice, stable state which will allow GS to work through the outstanding repairs / enhancements / upgrades that would deliver the better functionality that's been requested for a very long time now - without breaking other stuff while trying to deliver it B)

If you don't like it, then don't pay the $30 annual premium member fee and don't purchase any merchandise from the site or buy anything with a trackable code. Hit them in the pocketbook, otherwise you are supporting the site and supporting the changes that you dislike.

I've thought of that, but I'd die without pocket queries. :wacko:

+1. As far as I'm concerned, anytime I'm paying for a service I have the right to be critical of the service I'm getting. Apparently, Groundspeak feels the same way or they'd tell the forum mods to give time outs or close threads that criticized their product.

All I noticed was a brown background and a rather nasty shade of green in the top banner.

This is probably why the poor dears can't find the development time to do something useful. You know, like implement things like the proposed changes to keep trackable inventories up to date, aid logging trackables, or any of the other new features people have talked about.

As people say this must just be one of those better mistakes. I never was sure whether a "better mistake" was something that was wrong but not as badly wrong as the last one, or making an even more spectacular hash of something than ever before.

The headers are missing on mine. I have to find the links in the dark and from memory.

Yes.. making the main paige into a puzzle cache isn't a great idea. Column headings are a very light yellow.. not really visible and don't appear until you are already there. Very poor idea especially for anyone just exploring the site for the first time.

I personally like it but I already found a bug on it. I think they should create different themes every other month.

They broke all of the Greasemonkey scripts that actually make the site useful. For what. A brighter green with topo contours, and big roided out goats on the home page?

Sooooooooooooooooooo many useful things that are repeatedly suggested in the Feature Request forum that we will never see because this is what they spend their time on.

When you develop a site and someone else makes greasemonkey scripts to make it work better, you feel powerless.

When you feel powerless you look for ways to get the power back.

When you want to take the power back you take programming lessons.

When you learn programming you want to use your programming.

You become the programmer of happiness.

When you become the programmer of happiness, you start to reprogram the website.

When you reprogram the website you break all the greasemonkey scrips. You feel the power.

When you break the greasemonkey scripts your users are upset.

When your users are upset you know you have the power and you are happy.

I suspect there is a grain of truth in that, but certainly it would NEVER be admitted to.

Personally I think it's something like what I see at Sam's Club all the time...every few months most all the items are switched around to different parts of the store. Coffee has been on aisle 6 for months, and when you go in to buy some coffee...it isn't there so you need to go up and down searching for the coffee you came for. JUST MAYBE something you didn't really want will catch your eye, and it will sneak into your cart.

Does changing stuff around on a webpage make people randomly click on links trying to locate the function they were looking for causing extra page loads that make your site seem more popular? :unsure:

and the skillset required for this change is different to the skillset required to fix most of the other stuff so it's unlikely that other fixes have been delayed because of this change.

I agree, but I believe that Groundspeak has too many people on the pay roll that are dealing with marketing, graphics, etc and too few who are skilled programmers and developpers.

I guess many of the layout changes only happen to keep the people with the skillset for these tasks busy.

Cezanne

Yes.

A fresh coat of paint on the walls is always nice, but it's a good idea to fix the gaping cracks first.

There are some things you can't just paint over and pretend won't be noticed.

I also just noticed a white squirrel sitting on top of the brown stuff on those pages.

f850d16c-f268-4bfd-a44f-fae0db65103d.jpg?rnd=0.975445

The hamsters have been "replaced"???????????

I never scroll down that far, and would have never noticed, if it hadn't been for this thread. TFTP

Cosmetic change for change's sake. Oh, well, I guess someone got paid good money to come up with this new colour scheme/design.

B.

I also just noticed a white squirrel sitting on top of the brown stuff on those pages.

I never scroll down that far, and would have never noticed, if it hadn't been for this thread. TFTP

Cosmetic change for change's sake. Oh, well, I guess someone got paid good money to come up with this new colour scheme/design.

B.

It really should be a hamster... and it should be clickable!!

B.

It really should be a hamster... and it should be clickable!!

If it was clickable where ahould it take you to? I think it also would be fine with Signal the Frog.

It's back, so I guess it has nothing to do with the layout. Need to find why certitude doesn't show.

The Certitude link on my puzzle cache shows fine.

The headers are missing on mine. I have to find the links in the dark and from memory.

Yes.. making the main paige into a puzzle cache isn't a great idea. Column headings are a very light yellow.. not really visible and don't appear until you are already there. Very poor idea especially for anyone just exploring the site for the first time.

I'm not sure what you're talking about. The drop-down menus are just as easy to see as they always have been.

I really like the new theme. Makes it seem a little more up-to-date. The old was was good but I think it was due for a change.

I agree with having different themes throughout the months. Or, if nothing else, perhaps updating the logo for different events/seasons/anniversaries/etc (much like Google I suppose) would be interesting and less involved than changing the whole site.

Just my 2 cents.

So many useful things that are repeatedly suggested in the Feature Request forum that we will never see because this is what they spend their time on.

I'll hop on the "I like it" bandwagon. I am a proponent of change, as it inhibits stagnation. As a fan of change, I recognize that any given change will upset someone. 'Tis the nature of yon beast. But I gotta agree with you on this point. It's not often that you run across a company which has such a disregard for their customers.

Why fix something that isnt broken?

^Exactly this a thousand times.

They tell us one day that they can't implement what we want due to lack of resources, then the next they make a completely unnecessary cosmetic change. Too bad they couldn't have spent that time finishing what they started or listening to our requests.

I have no problem with how the new version looks, I just don't see why they needed to do it in the first place.

^^^^

This!!

I personally like it but I already found a bug on it. I think they should create different themes every other month.

They broke all of the Greasemonkey scripts that actually make the site useful. For what. A brighter green with topo contours, and big roided out goats on the home page?

Sooooooooooooooooooo many useful things that are repeatedly suggested in the Feature Request forum that we will never see because this is what they spend their time on.

When you develop a site and someone else makes greasemonkey scripts to make it work better, you feel powerless.

When you feel powerless you look for ways to get the power back.

When you want to take the power back you take programming lessons.

When you learn programming you want to use your programming.

You become the programmer of happiness.

When you become the programmer of happiness, you start to reprogram the website.

When you reprogram the website you break all the greasemonkey scrips. You feel the power.

When you break the greasemonkey scripts your users are upset.

When your users are upset you know you have the power and you are happy.

That's good.

(Even though I don't use any greasemonkey scripts--or even know what they are.)

Today is the first I have seen any forum posts on this. I have had this for at least a week.

There are SOOOO many good ideas posted here, many fairly easy to implement, that are totally ignored. Then, change for the apparent sake of change, rears its ugly head.

Has a link to upgrade to premium. I am already premium...so why?

Also thanks for mentioning the squirrel. Never scroll down that far. Yes, you would think it would have been a hamster....or a frog.

Cache happy

The first thing I noticed was the How to go Geocaching instructions in the brown on the right side.

How to Go Geocaching:

1. Search for Nearby Geocaches

2. Navigate to the geocache with the Geocaching app or a GPS.

3. Sign the logbook and log your find online.

Edited by mikemtn

The first thing I noticed was the How to go Geocaching instructions in the brown on the right side.

How to Go Geocaching:

1. Search for Nearby Geocaches

Yes! Glad they clarified that. Now if only they would post some instructions for puzzle caches on the home page. :unsure:

How to Find a Puzzle Cache:

1. Solve the puzzle using your own grey matter and possibly some hints from others.

Edited by The_Incredibles_

Cezanne

Yes.

A fresh coat of paint on the walls is always nice, but it's a good idea to fix the gaping cracks first.

Lipstick on a pig (waves to SwineFlew).

I actually kind of like the new theme as well although it could use a little less contrast in the header. However, it doesn't seem quite a dark green today. I agree with others though that this isn't something that anyone has actually asked for and that there a *lot* of things users have asked for, some of them fairly simple that GS has appeared to have completely ignored.

Edited by NYPaddleCacher

If you don't like it, then don't pay the $30 annual premium member fee and don't purchase any merchandise from the site or buy anything with a trackable code. Hit them in the pocketbook, otherwise you are supporting the site and supporting the changes that you dislike.

I've thought of that, but I'd die without pocket queries. :wacko:

+1. As far as I'm concerned, anytime I'm paying for a service I have the right to be critical of the service I'm getting. Apparently, Groundspeak feels the same way or they'd tell the forum mods to give time outs or close threads that criticized their product.

I have a feeling that the staff at Groundspeak thinks of the forums like a locked basement full of trolls. Every so often, they send Moun10bike down to throw us a bone so we don't starve to death.

Cezanne

Yes.

Lipstick on a pig (waves to SwineFlew).

I actually kind of like the new theme as well although it could use a little less contrast in the header. However, it doesn't seem quite a dark green today. I agree with others though that this isn't something that anyone has actually asked for and that there a *lot* of things users have asked for, some of them fairly simple that GS has appeared to have completely ignored.

Like having the ability to filter for favorites in a pocket query? If you're with me, then let's show em we mean business by holding our breath until it's done... :ph34r:

21:45 GMT and it's the first time today that I've seen the new home page, browsing from the UK.

Have to say I like the new look - can't see a problem with any of it.

I'm just as mystified as many others though as to how Groundspeak keeps a straight face while telling us there's no resources to effect the numerous outstanding fixes and feature enhancements that would deliver some real, tangible benefit to users of the site.

To be honest, I find the complete lack of response or feedback of any kind to continued pleas from their users somewhat contemptible :mad:

About the squirrel, GS is making a HUGE mistake there! NEVER DO THAT! (Squirrel means "that other site")

0feed7d5-758c-42b1-8c9a-c21e59072bd6.png?rnd=0.1905285

To GS, just put a frog there, please and thank you.

Groundspeak may think that the stars are in front of the moon; but at least they know what a squirrel looks like. I'm not so sure about Garmin.

I'm not smart enough to post a photo but here's a link to the November 10, 2000 Geocaching home page on Wayback. It's evolved a little in 13 years.

Holy cow! Playing on that (and really, I am not trying to hijack the issues people have to the changes) I found several old cache photos. Some really cool ones. And then this link, all about the birth of trackables way back in June 2000.

If Moun10Bike Only knew what he was starting

About the squirrel, GS is making a HUGE mistake there!
I disagree. The squirrel in the new geocaching.com layout is nothing like the other site's blue whatever-it-really-is mascot.

And the squirrel theme gave me the idea for this background image for my cache listings:

c65c0bff-deaf-4fe7-9f6f-2d6ab6b4b343.png?rnd=0.2702404

Unfortunately, this background image won't work unless the background image is centered, and they aren't centered. :(

About the squirrel, GS is making a HUGE mistake there!
I disagree. The squirrel in the new geocaching.com layout is nothing like the other site's blue whatever-it-really-is mascot.

And the squirrel theme gave me the idea for this background image for my cache listings:

c65c0bff-deaf-4fe7-9f6f-2d6ab6b4b343.png?rnd=0.2702404

Unfortunately, this background image won't work unless the background image is centered, and they aren't centered. :(

I see squirrels going up the wall. :blink: