Geocaching.com New Look

:yikes:

It's weird. I don't like it. Better mistakes!

At least they're not making another 334 souvenirs.

How do you know? They won't tell us until they release them.

Good point, their slogan about better mistakes has to be one of their biggest mistakes, it'll haunt them forever.

Why fix something that isnt broken?

^Exactly this a thousand times.

They tell us one day that they can't implement what we want due to lack of resources, then the next they make a completely unnecessary cosmetic change. Too bad they couldn't have spent that time finishing what they started or listening to our requests.

I have no problem with how the new version looks, I just don't see why they needed to do it in the first place.

Sorry if this is the wrong place but have any of you noticed the new geocaching.com look. I was on the website and it just changed on me.

I have to click once just to know if I gave a favorite point to the cache I'm seeing, and click even twice just to award a favorite point to it. I feel that Groundspeack is now discouraging favorite points.

The headers are missing on mine. I have to find the links in the dark and from memory.

Headers were missing the first time i looked at one of the cache pages. I then clicked the gc.com homepage button but it didn't load up all the way. Refreshed one time and everything looked good. Went back to the cache page and the headers were there. Not sure what was going on. Seems to be working fine now..

What's with the goats?

I agree. They are obviously looking in the wrong place.

2db0e762-d203-4987-9083-9ed17c03d3b8.jpg

[spoiler: gur pnpur vf va gur pnegbba ohfu ybpngrq arne gur pnegbba Puevfgznf gerr naq gur pnegbba ebpx fbzr zvyrf orlbaq gur inyyrl orybj gur zbhagnvaf. Orfg nccebnpu vf sebz gur inyyrl - ybbc nebhaq gur pnegbba Puevfgznf gerr naq gur ebpx, naq urnq onpx gbjneqf gur inyyrl, gur ybbx va gur pnegbba ohfu]

For someone with vision problems, the colors are atrocious! They hurt my eyes.

I don't think the color is that bad, but the contrast in the header is a bit much. It is interesting that they changed the icons (another development effort nobody asked for) there was too little contrast and the new theme has too much.

I like to see something new every now and then, so I appreciate the effort to mix it up a little and change the appearance. Overall, I like it, but the front page has too much space devoted to a picture with no links. All links have migrated to the outer edges of the page. Link availability is important to anyone unfamiliar with the site, because if I've never been here before then I don't know what's important. There's no visual suggestion as to where I ought to go from here. The "Learn more about geocaching and how you can join the adventure" link is a good one to have in the middle, but it got a weak presentation, not having any clickable image associated with it to help draw one's attention to it. I think the previous appearance was probably the better of the two, objectively speaking.

The colors remind me what is in my toilet.

Still spewing stuff from your toilet on the forums eh? I should send you the sign I have hanging next to my desk... and I being nice about this, it says, Lord, if I have nothing good to say, please help me keep my big mouth shut.

I came back to the forums to looksie around and I hear the same smelly sock opinion of the crusty rusty grumpy gang.... ain't ya ll got anything better to do that tear this place down day after day?

Please...............

Still spewing stuff from your toilet on the forums eh? I should send you the sign I have hanging next to my desk... and I being nice about this, it says, Lord, if I have nothing good to say, please help me keep my big mouth shut.

I came back to the forums to looksie around and I hear the same smelly sock opinion of the crusty rusty grumpy gang.... ain't ya ll got anything better to do that tear this place down day after day?

Please...............

Welcome back...Just dont blow yourself up. :laughing:

That background brown, totally, and te green, maybe after a few too many beer.

I don't see a brown background. The whole screen is brown while the page is loading, but then it goes to a white background, like it's always been.

I don't see a brown background. The whole screen is brown while the page is loading, but then it goes to a white background, like it's always been.

But the page is taking a dump before it goes back to normal. :ph34r:

Go to Trackables Inventory or Trackables Collection or any page that is shorter and you'll see the brown.

I also just noticed a white squirrel sitting on top of the brown stuff on those pages.

f850d16c-f268-4bfd-a44f-fae0db65103d.jpg?rnd=0.975445

I personally like it but I already found a bug on it. I think they should create different themes every other month.

They broke all of the Greasemonkey scripts that actually make the site useful. For what. A brighter green with topo contours, and big roided out goats on the home page?

Sooooooooooooooooooo many useful things that are repeatedly suggested in the Feature Request forum that we will never see because this is what they spend their time on.

I personally like it but I already found a bug on it. I think they should create different themes every other month.

They broke all of the Greasemonkey scripts that actually make the site useful. For what. A brighter green with topo contours, and big roided out goats on the home page?

Sooooooooooooooooooo many useful things that are repeatedly suggested in the Feature Request forum that we will never see because this is what they spend their time on.

When you develop a site and someone else makes greasemonkey scripts to make it work better, you feel powerless.

When you feel powerless you look for ways to get the power back.

When you want to take the power back you take programming lessons.

When you learn programming you want to use your programming.

You become the programmer of happiness.

When you become the programmer of happiness, you start to reprogram the website.

When you reprogram the website you break all the greasemonkey scrips. You feel the power.

When you break the greasemonkey scripts your users are upset.

When your users are upset you know you have the power and you are happy.

If you don't like it, then don't pay the $30 annual premium member fee and don't purchase any merchandise from the site or buy anything with a trackable code. Hit them in the pocketbook, otherwise you are supporting the site and supporting the changes that you dislike.

If you don't like it, then don't pay the $30 annual premium member fee and don't purchase any merchandise from the site or buy anything with a trackable code. Hit them in the pocketbook, otherwise you are supporting the site and supporting the changes that you dislike.

I don't think that would work. Even if a whole bunch of users bailed and didn't renew their premium memberships, it would simply spur Groundspeak to look for even more ways to draw in new users at all costs, in turn driving more long-time cachers away, lather, rinse, repeat...

Face it, they just don't care about us anymore or whether we hang around and renew our premiums. All that matters is drawing in new users. That being said, I can't figure out how making the front page less new-user-friendly works toward that goal...

I liked the old loading screen. That green was nice. Now there is a brown murk. [:(]

I was thinking the brown was not a murk but something else. Too bad the squirrel is not blue. OMG, I got the new front page.

I hope prime can fix his gm scripts real soon. They made the site useable.

Edited by jholly