How do I log a benchmark?

I have found a benchmark that is NOT in the database. How do I log it?

Thank you.

What do you mean "it's not in the database"? Waymarking? Benchmarking?

John

I could be wrong, but I would assume that 1962penny means that it doesn't show up on the nearest benchmark list on geocaching.com and there is no original datasheet available. I've run into that a few times with U.S. benchmarks that I've spotted. They look like legitimate U.S. benchmarks, but there is no record to be found. I'd hoped to submit them as a waymark, but I too had no idea what to do with them, since there was no information about them, other than what was printed on the disc.

I have found a benchmark that is NOT in the database. How do I log it?

Thank you.

What do you mean "it's not in the database"? Waymarking? Benchmarking?

John

I could be wrong, but I would assume that 1962penny means that it doesn't show up on the nearest benchmark list on geocaching.com and there is no original datasheet available. I've run into that a few times with U.S. benchmarks that I've spotted. They look like legitimate U.S. benchmarks, but there is no record to be found. I'd hoped to submit them as a waymark, but I too had no idea what to do with them, since there was no information about them, other than what was printed on the disc.

There are USGS benchmarks that are not in the NGS database (what geocaching.com uses) They are marked on the topographic maps, but there is not an online database of them. The 'symbol' for them is a small triangle with a dot inside....to find them you would need to either search the vicinity of the topo map mark, or contact USGS and ask for a copy of the field notes.