APP for Trackables

SirDonB

I was wondering since more and more people are using smartphones for geocaching (myself included), why there is not an APP for logging trackables? I found one at a cache last night that was not listed as being in that cache and had a heck of a time getting it logged from my phone as I could not get on the computer without disturbing the family at 0100.

We have apps for Wherigo's, decoding, placing caches, finding caches, etc. It seems to me the only thing missing at this point is something to make logging trackable items easier.

I was wondering since more and more people are using smartphones for geocaching (myself included), why there is not an APP for logging trackables? I found one at a cache last night that was not listed as being in that cache and had a heck of a time getting it logged from my phone as I could not get on the computer without disturbing the family at 0100.

We have apps for Wherigo's, decoding, placing caches, finding caches, etc. It seems to me the only thing missing at this point is something to make logging trackable items easier.

I agree with you. Groundspeak's Dev's Should work on this.

I also use Neongeo but the problem I had was I found a trackable that had not been properly logged and I had a heck of a time getting to log it and put it in my possession. I've not had problems when properly logged.

What I would like to be able to do is search the area around me for trackables and see what caches they are in.

What I would like to be able to do is search the area around me for trackables and see what caches they are in.

Don't bother searching for trackables - it's a big waste of time. 80% (??) of them that are listed in the caches are not there (at least, in my area).

I have about 3 reputable caches near my home that are TB hotels. If I want to find trackables, I'll visit those. Sometimes I get lucky and the TB's listed are actually there...other times, there are TB's in there that aren't listed...etc. It's a crap-shoot.

But yes...the Groundspeak App should have everything you need to log trackables in the field.

I also use Neongeo but the problem I had was I found a trackable that had not been properly logged and I had a heck of a time getting to log it and put it in my possession.

Does Neongeo not have a function to look up a trackable by its unique code? I'd be pretty surprised if it didn't. All you'd need to do is plug in the code on the trackable, then log it as "grabbed" or whatever.

I also use Neongeo but the problem I had was I found a trackable that had not been properly logged and I had a heck of a time getting to log it and put it in my possession.

Does Neongeo not have a function to look up a trackable by its unique code? I'd be pretty surprised if it didn't. All you'd need to do is plug in the code on the trackable, then log it as "grabbed" or whatever.

if it does, I am not finding it. I just recently had a trackable and there was no where to log a visit, drop off, etc with the log in Neongeo. c:geo does however have better support for trackables and if I have one logged being with me, it shows up and I can log a visit or drop. I have not found a cache with a trackable to see if I can retrieve it yet through c:geo, but Neongeo seems to have nothing for trackables.

If you find a trackable, just type the code into the search and select "search for Trackables" in the drop-down list. What's so hard about that?

Also, when you do a search for nearby caches, there will be a TB symbol for caches that have a trackable listed in inventory. Whether or not it's actually IN the cache is not possible to answer using the GC app.

I'd rather they just make the "official" app more functional.

Live maps, bookmark lists, etc.

Also, when you do a search for nearby caches, there will be a TB symbol for caches that have a trackable listed in inventory. Whether or not it's actually IN the cache is not possible to answer using the GC app.

Not an app-specific issue, really. You can look at all of them your computer shows, but it still is a sorry bet regarding whether or not a trackable is in the cache until you have put boots on the ground and eyes in the cache.

It just might do everyone a favor to eliminate that feature -- the icon showing that a trackable is present in the cache inventory.

There isn't a bigger creator of angst amongst those that 'search' out trackables.

Lose the icon and lose the angst. Just allow the finding of a trackable to be a complete surprise!

Problem solved.

Hmmmm... just might be a good suggestion for submission.

If you find a trackable, just type the code into the search and select "search for Trackables" in the drop-down list. What's so hard about that?

What's so hard about that??? I'll tell you... the caching apps I use are not very well supported for trackables...

When I search from my apps, I can not see what caches have trackables or not till I get there and open it. In addition, I do not use the "official" app, I use Neongeo and c:geo. C:geo is a lil better for trackables, but I still can not search for them to see only the caches near me that have trackables listed.

I agree that most of the time, its a crap shoot if they are really there or not. But being able to isolate caches with trackalble from those without to me at least would be useful.

An example of the crap shoot in action... I was FTF on a local cache the other day and there was nothing listed, found it and when I opened it, there was a trackable inside. looked up the code the next day, and found it was still listed in a cache about 40 miles away, so I got it logged properly and now have it in a new cache properly logged.

An app just for trackables?

Another $10 from every one of those smartphone jockeys.

When smartphone users already have full access to the entire GC website, I'm amazed at the tunnel vision... the inability to use a feature if it's not an App.

You can log, manage, unscramble Trackables, with a connected smartphone using the web site. There needs to be a lot more help, if the intention is to keep Trackables in play. Which I'm not convinced is a goal -- most people around the Forum simply require the remaining evidence of a Trackable begone once "lost". But Groundspeak has their work cut out for them if they would care to make Trackables easy for everyone to manage, in every stage from placing it, to its eventual disappearance.

And as Bluedeuce and others say, TBs and Geocoins must be separated on the site, since the former is for travel, the latter is a collector's item. They need different log types available. I don't know if it's possible to do that now, and as I said, I don't think most people care, as long as the lists are accurate so they can go take the items with little trouble.

Edited by kunarion

Neongeo has the ability to grab or discover on the app. Go to "Info" adn then make sure you've selected "Profile". In order to synchronize the trackables you have, click on the three dots at the bottom and then select "Synchronize". If you just wish to discover or grab, the trackable section has both options available to do so.

An app just for trackables?

Another $10 from every one of those smartphone jockeys.

When smartphone users already have full access to the entire GC website, I'm amazed at the tunnel vision... the inability to use a feature if it's not an App.

Maybe it's my tunnel vision setting in, but I fail to see the tunnel vision you speak of... I do not have an inability to a feature if it's not an app... I have a connected smartphone and I have on various occasions had to look something up using the internet feature on my phone.

My post was out of frustration to trying to log a trackable that was not properly logged that I had found. I had attempted to access the full site to log it and was met with error after frustrating error trying to do so. I was also suggesting that with the advent of apps for the smartphone and the fact that there is one for just about every aspect of geocaching, I was surprised that one had not been created for trackables. I mean Wherigo has less support and there is an app for that. In fact Wherigo's are a cache type with their own app, why not trackables too?

Neongeo has the ability to grab or discover on the app. Go to "Info" adn then make sure you've selected "Profile". In order to synchronize the trackables you have, click on the three dots at the bottom and then select "Synchronize". If you just wish to discover or grab, the trackable section has both options available to do so.

ok, this only works for trackables that are in your inventory... This does not allow you to search from your geocaching app for caches that have trackables listed in their inventory nor does this allow you to search or log trackables that are there but not properly logged. What I am proposing is a way to log or search trackables that would be easier than using the website either from your computer at home or phone. Well mainly from your phone.