Logging your own cache as "Found"

2. There are some "mystery spot" two-stage caches in our area. The coordinates take you to a container in a forest setting which contains a clue for finding the cache; when you find the cache, you're supposed to hide the cache in a different location and update the clue in the central cache. For those caches, the owner can certainly find the cache and log the find, since he wouldn't know where the cache is after the initial placement. (Actually, this style of cache permits multiple finds --- even FTFs --- for anyone.)

Moving the cache? Is that allowed without being reviewed? :huh:

I'm no expert on the rules. But there are at least two of these "mystery spot" caches in my area, both placed by veteran local cachers, and both passed review when they were placed.

I should probably add that the cache doesn't move far from the central clue-cache; the new location is supposed to be within 100' of the center point. So there's no issue with the cache interfering with the placement of other caches.

I don't understand why in the world you would want to log your own cache as a "Find" - presumably you know where it was hidden, there's not a whole lot of challenge to find it is there?
Multiple times I've had to tell cache owners where I found their caches, because the caches had migrated so far that their owners DNFed them. So yes, sometimes finding your own cache can be challenging.

Logging ones own caches:

1. There is NOTHING wrong with it.

I logged one of my own caches once, just to cheese off the purists. :lol:

The Florida Geocaching Association was gearing up for a big event, and us area representatives were scheduled to meet one day to fill and hide a bunch of caches. At the last minute, I had to bail, (family emergency), so I gave all my swag to another representative. Fearing that they might make the whole park a P&G haven, I begged them to hide at least one deep in a swamp. After the gathering, I got an email saying they hid an ammo can for me at N******** / W*********. They told me to write up the listing. When the actual event came, I went out and found it, logging it as such.

I think I adopted that one out to a local, so my record should no longer be besmirched. :lol:

On my personal account not this family one. I hid a cache in honor of minor Pixos birthday. Two weeks later I had three sudden cardiac arrests and suffered major memory issues.

When I eventually got back to caching I went and found that cache, and yes I logged it as found. I feel I deserve the find but certainly not the hide.

No cheese involved.

It bothers me the most when someone does it to salvage a streak. The area I live right now has a lot of people going after cache streaks and this one cacher has found their own cache on about 40 of those days. I know that geocaching statistics is really all just for yourself to look at. So in the end, how do you justify to yourself that you had a 365 day streak, when on some of those days you were either logging your own cache, or finding multiple on a "cache trail" and simply logging different days for each one of them? It makes no sense to me.

Being bad form doesn't deter everyone though - a cacher in the next county recently logged inds on over 150 of their own caches in order to satisfy a challenge to find 200 caches in a single day :rolleyes:

Have we verified that he signed the logs in 150 of his own caches in one day?? Because if not, then he's cheating, & obligated as CO to delete his own "found" logs! As you can see he's wearing too many hats!

Being bad form doesn't deter everyone though - a cacher in the next county recently logged inds on over 150 of their own caches in order to satisfy a challenge to find 200 caches in a single day :rolleyes:

Have we verified that he signed the logs in 150 of his own caches in one day?? Because if not, then he's cheating, & obligated as CO to delete his own "found" logs! As you can see he's wearing too many hats!

As I heard it they went out as part of a larger group, with 150 pre-signed logs and simply replaced each log when they got to the cache.

On that basis i.e. the CO being present and being against the clock - it's entirely possible that not only did nobody sign a log that day but nobody actually found a cache. But I'm speculating - of course :)

As I heard it they went out as part of a larger group, with 150 pre-signed logs and simply replaced each log when they got to the cache.

On that basis i.e. the CO being present and being against the clock - it's entirely possible that not only did nobody sign a log that day but nobody actually found a cache. But I'm speculating - of course :)

That's part of the problem nowadays. Not only are cachers obsessed with numbers but sloppy COs aren't even bothering to verify logs. The whole game is getting really messy. Nowadays, so many people just need that +1, and many COs are just littering parking lots with micros while not maintaining their logs...so sad.