Time Zone Question

scottmcblane

I have a quick question about the way time zone's work on the website.

I live in Australia and while it's the 1st of August here it's still the 31st of July in America.

So if I found a cache today it wouldn't give me the souvenir. Have I got something wrong in my settings or is that the way the website works.

Thanks!!

I just checked the profile of a random user in Australia that has already logged an August 1 cache, and they have the souvenir. It looks to me like Groundspeak has taken your time difference into account in this case, and you can claim your August 1 souvenir even though it's still July 31 here in North America.

Hi, I have the same problem here in Europe / Denmark where we are 9 hours ahead of USA West coast time zone (UTC -8)

It should not be difficult to know where the finds are located in which time zone and then use the correct local time and date for the logging.

Ps. You can you manually change the date, I have done it for some logs made this morning logged with the 2. of august and changed them to the 3. of August, and thereby got the souvenir.

BR. Lars Jensen

When I did the find on the 13 July to kick off the August streak it came up as the 12th July and I was told that was due to the time difference. So I did a find the next day and it came up with the delayed date of the 13th.

Going on the time difference, I started logging the August hunt a day late and my find came up as the first August even though it was the second here in Australia. I then posted a DNF immediately after and it came up as the second August and now today the third it came up as the third. So even though my finds were found on consecutive days it is now showing my DNF as a separate day where in fact it was logged on the same day as my first find. Thank you above me I will adjust my dates now that we are on Australian time.

Edited by Mihz Kitti

I was wondering exactly the same thing as I live in New Zealand. I have just been leaving my dates the way they are on the website when I log a find but the only problem I could think of with doing that is if someone looks in one of the log books I've logged and then on the cache log on the website and they dates don't match but hopefully that isn't a problem. The next time I find 2 Caches I'll be sure to add the second one on the correct date for NZ because as a newbie to the world of Geocaching I'm all up for the 31 days of August thing! Good challenge to start me off :)

Hi, I have the same problem here in Europe / Denmark where we are 9 hours ahead of USA West coast time zone (UTC -8)

It should not be difficult to know where the finds are located in which time zone and then use the correct local time and date for the logging.

Ps. You can you manually change the date, I have done it for some logs made this morning logged with the 2. of august and changed them to the 3. of August, and thereby got the souvenir.

BR. Lars Jensen

Hi i have found a new problem regarding to the local time zone problem:

If I change the log date at the web site, do I get the souvenir at my online profile, but this souvenir is not transferred to my android geocaching application. I then made an additional log yesterday with the android application, but still no souvenir for the 3. of August at my phone.

BR. gbjensen / Lars

I haven't received any souvenirs on my android at all and all my finds are logged from it and edited on laptop when I get home

BR. Lars Jensen

Hi i have found a new problem regarding to the local time zone problem:

If I change the log date at the web site, do I get the souvenir at my online profile, but this souvenir is not transferred to my android geocaching application. I then made an additional log yesterday with the android application, but still no souvenir for the 3. of August at my phone.

BR. gbjensen / Lars

Edited by Mihz Kitti

Hi

I am Australian and sometimes see logs as 'Tomorrow'. Rather than log on the iPhone for the August streak I am doing this at home on the PC to be able to adjust the date. It isn't tomorrow until dark where I live so I suggest a PC rather than app log.

I feel we Aussies are being ripped off a tad with the streak that others are doing in the summer holidays while we are working long days and trying to fit in a cache before after or at lunchtime while it is light in the crappy winter weather - That is why we are Aussies - hardly a challenge

You Aussies are not alone, the first couple of days I logged mine in just after midnight from my caching app here on the east coast of the USA and had to go in the next day on the site and adjust the date for the souvenir. It is hit or miss for me and I am checking my dates the next day to ensure they are correct. The last few I have found have been correct and got the souvenir right away. I will continue to double check the site against my app logging.