Wierd New Jersey!

AlphaOp

I found a rather interesting web site called "Wierd New Jersey" at http://www.weirdnj.com/ . It's a pretty darn neat site. I'm from Pennsylvania, so I can't check out some of these places, but there are a few I'd like to see, like the abandoned "Demon's Alley" housing area, and I'd also like to explore the abandoned Jungle Habitat. Cool...

CODENAME: ALPHA OPERATOR

daedalus://govlink/secure/majestic/12.12.12/ops/throne/AO

MAJESTIC-12: THRONE G6 LEVEL AGENT

http://www.planetdeusex.com

quote:
Originally posted by The Alpha Operator:

I found a rather interesting web site called "Wierd New Jersey" at http://www.weirdnj.com/ .

There are a number of caches based upon locations discussed in Weird NJ. Many of them have been hidden by TeamGwho. You can find those at http://www.geocaching.com/seek/nearest_cache.asp?u=Gwho

Weird NJ is a very cool magazine, but I imagine it is more appealing for those of us in NJ than elsewhere.

Fro.

Geocaching . . . hiking with a purpose

If you like "Weird New Jersey"

Gwho will be contacting you shortly. He is a fanatic! Give him a few hours. I have found a few of his caches and I can say that they have all been interesting.

Don't be frightened by his profile picture. I've met him. He has normal clothes too. icon_wink.gif

====================================

As always, the above statements are just MHO.

If you like "Weird New Jersey"

Gwho will be contacting you shortly. He is a fanatic! Give him a few hours. I have found a few of his caches and I can say that they have all been interesting.

Don't be frightened by his profile picture. I've met him. He has normal clothes too. icon_wink.gif

As always, the above statements are just MHO.

I've hiked through the old Jungle Habitat property a number of times. (It's right next to an airport I frequently use.) If you bring a mountain bike, you can cover it a lot quicker. It's not really spooky at all ... but it is interesting to look around and see how quickly nature has reclaimed many of the roads, parking areas, etc.

Oh yeah ... I forgot to mention, if you like "Weird NJ," you might also enjoy RoadsideAmerica.

Ever consider checking out the abandoned housing project at Demon's Alley? Very odd place, it just looks like the whole place was abandoned very quickly- there is still furniture, toys, and other stuff left behind. Very strange. (I think the area is private property and patroled, unfortunately.)

quote:

Besides, it takes about 6+ hours to cross PA, I think they would notice I was missing.

Yes, one would hope they would. icon_wink.gif (Always remember to leave your geocaching itinerary with someone just in case.)

But I thought "north east pennsylvania" was closer to Jersey than that. I've invaded eastern PA a few times on cache hunts, and I know Rich in NEPA and Waterboy with Wife regularly cross the border from PA to Joisey.

quote:

Besides, it takes about 6+ hours to cross PA, I think they would notice I was missing.

Yes, one would hope they would. icon_wink.gif (Always remember to leave your geocaching itinerary with someone just in case.)

But I thought "north east pennsylvania" was closer to Jersey than that. I've invaded eastern PA a few times on cache hunts, and I know Rich in NEPA and Waterboy with Wife regularly cross the border from PA to Joisey.

quote:
Originally posted by BassoonPilot:

But I thought "north east pennsylvania" was closer to Jersey than that.

I thought that was odd so I checked it out in Mapblast. Yes, there is a North East, PA, a town that is actually in the northwest part of PA near Lake Erie.

Also found this in my database:

http://www.wheresgeorge.com/report.php3?key=31b4a2122c7f796a9d35a53269eeccf3

Where's George says it's about 300 miles away. icon_smile.gif

quote:
Originally posted by BassoonPilot:

But I thought "north east pennsylvania" was closer to Jersey than that.

I thought that was odd so I checked it out in Mapblast. Yes, there is a North East, PA, a town that is actually in the northwest part of PA near Lake Erie.

Also found this in my database:

http://www.wheresgeorge.com/report.php3?key=31b4a2122c7f796a9d35a53269eeccf3

Where's George says it's about 300 miles away. icon_smile.gif

I was reading the weird New Jersey web site, the thing I would most like to see (if it actually does exist) is the blue hole. I tried to guestimate the location by the details given, but none of aerial photos looked like the area would be the same as the write explained. Any one up for a hunt (with a working camera)?

Wyatt W.

The probability of someone watching you is directly proportional to the stupidity of your actions.

quote:
Originally posted by phantom4099:

I was reading the weird New Jersey web site, the thing I would most like to see (if it actually does exist) is the blue hole. I tried to guestimate the location by the details given, but none of aerial photos looked like the area would be the same as the write explained. Any one up for a hunt (with a working camera)?

"The Blue Hole-Search for the Jersey Devil" by mtnbiker99x

Especially check out the Dec.26, 2001 log.

Illegitimus non carborundum!

[This message was edited by Mopar on July 08, 2002 at 05:48 AM.]

quote:
Originally posted by StayFloopy:

Now, that's just downright false advertising. Who do I sue?!

If it was called "South East" they could at least claim they held the map upside down.

quote:

Yup, the name is "North East" but the town is ACTUALLY in North WEST Pennsylvania. Tells you about the average IQ of people who live in the town...

I am glad to here that there are interesting caches here in NJ. I am getting a GPS and will be looking for them soon.

I see from the map that there are very many, and I read from the psosts that I should start with some easy ones (like the 1 and 1's.)

I am very anxious and looking forward to this new "RASH" (is that right?)

NJ_Tonto

(Yes, Kimosabe...)

Hey fellow WNJ reader... well heres the latest news i know of from some of the sites. Demons Alley did catch on fire.. alot was damaged.. arson was the casue (go figure), but i do know that it is heavily guarded and you will be arrested if caught on the grounds even looking. HARSH i know!!

Another... Issue 18 in the first 25 pages i believe (cant remember which page) there is a page story with photos titled "Abandoned Dutch Church". I for one know that this is no longer, it too was set on fire June 20th at 5 am, fiance was on the scene. I have pics to of what it looked like 3 weeks before it was caught on fire and while it was burning. If you would like me to send you a copy of the pictures.. I will just email me. I will be more than happy too email them. Also one of my caches is near that mansion that caught on fire (dutch church) its titled:

Rescue 911 in New Jersey... if your ever in the area and would like to visit the cache and are a fan of WNJ, i would be willing to take you to the burned out building if interested... i brought back a few objects from the rubble. A hand made nail (as there were hundereds laying around), a door hinge and an ornamental shutter holders all old style. Vey Cool. Just let me know... anyone that is!! Peace and happy Geocaching!! icon_wink.gif

Hey fellow WNJ reader... well heres the latest news i know of from some of the sites. Demons Alley did catch on fire.. alot was damaged.. arson was the casue (go figure), but i do know that it is heavily guarded and you will be arrested if caught on the grounds even looking. HARSH i know!!

Another... Issue 18 in the first 25 pages i believe (cant remember which page) there is a page story with photos titled "Abandoned Dutch Church". I for one know that this is no longer, it too was set on fire June 20th at 5 am, fiance was on the scene. I have pics to of what it looked like 3 weeks before it was caught on fire and while it was burning. If you would like me to send you a copy of the pictures.. I will just email me. I will be more than happy too email them. Also one of my caches is near that mansion that caught on fire (dutch church) its titled:

Rescue 911 in New Jersey... if your ever in the area and would like to visit the cache and are a fan of WNJ, i would be willing to take you to the burned out building if interested... i brought back a few objects from the rubble. A hand made nail (as there were hundereds laying around), a door hinge and an ornamental shutter holders all old style. Vey Cool. Just let me know... anyone that is!! Peace and happy Geocaching!! icon_wink.gif