Encouraging throw downs...

Who loses out? Anyone who finds the throwdown and signs its log if the cache owner subsequently checks logs against the original cache, if it's still there. If future seekers find the throwdown and get their logs deleted because they didn't find the real cache they might well be annoyed at the situation. The owner loses out if the cache was still there and they end up with a duplicated cache and the choice between the confusion that can cause or a special trip to remove the duplicate.

An area cacher had his cache archived and locked for threatening to do just that. The reviewer made it clear that this was a path that he did not want to head down.

Punishing subsequent finders by deleting logs is not a solution.

So how is a cache owner supposed to figure out who signed some random container that's somewhere loosely near the cache and who just claimed it from the comfort of their armchair?

Who loses out? Anyone who finds the throwdown and signs its log if the cache owner subsequently checks logs against the original cache, if it's still there. If future seekers find the throwdown and get their logs deleted because they didn't find the real cache they might well be annoyed at the situation. The owner loses out if the cache was still there and they end up with a duplicated cache and the choice between the confusion that can cause or a special trip to remove the duplicate.

An area cacher had his cache archived and locked for threatening to do just that. The reviewer made it clear that this was a path that he did not want to head down.

So how is a cache owner supposed to figure out who signed some random container that's somewhere loosely near the cache and who just claimed it from the comfort of their armchair?

I would think that the far majority of cachers don't cheat. I have never audited a log trying to find that small exception that does. I assume that everyone that logs one of my caches has actually found it, unless they give me a glaring reason to suspect otherwise. Approaching this from the opposite perspective can only cause grief and lively forum discussions.

I would think that if someone was seriously concerned about this, they would disable their cache at the first mention of a "replacement", and then high tail it out there and fix the problem.

I would think that the far majority of cachers don't cheat. I have never audited a log trying to find that small exception that does. I assume that everyone that logs one of my caches has actually found it, unless they give me a glaring reason to suspect otherwise. Approaching this from the opposite perspective can only cause grief and lively forum discussions.

I'd agree with that but whatever you and I might think it does seem to be considered fair game to delete the logs of people who haven't found the cache, and if they found a throwdown they didn't find the cache. Especially if the throwdown is an easy find and the cache is difficult.

I would think that if someone was seriously concerned about this, they would disable their cache at the first mention of a "replacement", and then high tail it out there and fix the problem.

The trouble is that doesn't stop other people who didn't see it was disabled from going out and finding the throwdown, and also assumes that a cache owner can drop everything and high tail it out to the cache. I suspect most COs have things like jobs and social lives and stuff so can't necessarily dash out to a cache at short notice - that's why it's accepted that a cache can be disabled for a few weeks to give the CO chance to get out and check on it.

I suppose it could make a CO's life really easy. Just post a cache with some coordinates but don't bother actually putting a cache there. Sooner or later some kind soul with place a throwdown film pot and people can start logging it as found. If it disappears the chances are someone else will throw down another film pot, the community will maintain it rather than let a cache be archived, and you just route all the emails about it to the spam folder while putting out more and more caches that don't exist.

I sometimes wonder if some COs are most of the way towards doing this. Naming no names but some do seem to have an awful lot archived by reviewers for non-maintenance.

If it disappears the chances are someone else will throw down another film pot, the community will maintain it rather than let a cache be archived, and you just route all the emails about it to the spam folder while putting out more and more caches that don't exist.

You just described most power trails.

Sadly, Groundspeak seems to be okay with the practice...

If it disappears the chances are someone else will throw down another film pot, the community will maintain it rather than let a cache be archived, and you just route all the emails about it to the spam folder while putting out more and more caches that don't exist.

You just described most power trails.

Sadly, Groundspeak seems to be okay with the practice...

I am new, but Throw Downs along Power Trails sound horrible. :o Maybe instead we should just let people log the litter they find along the trail. If that Mountain Dew can near the waterfall is ever actually picked up by someone to recycle, you could just toss a new one in its place and get your smilie for the find. If there isn't enough trash strewn about the forest, just toss a few plastic baggies and there you go. Smilies for everyone.

So: what are positives about 'Power Trails'? There must be something.

Lulilac (Nooblilac)

Edited by Lulilac

Lulilac (Nooblilac)

For those who prefer quantity over quality, a trait I have come to recognize, though I don't yet understand it, and can handle the mind numbing tedium of hopping out of a car every 529' to scribble a note on a film can log, power trails are Nirvana. No need for creativity. Other than the strain of extended repetition, there is no need for effort, either physical or mental. Just smilies. Lots and lots of smilies. <_<

...to those who fear walking more than 15' from the A/C in their minivans, afraid they might accidentally burn a calorie, and would much rather spend all day hopping from film can to film can, in an unending bid to increase their smiley count. And everything in between.

BAHAHAHAHA that is one of the funniest things I have ever read on thee forums. But sadly, it is so very very true.

"afraid they might accidently burn a calorie" I love it!!! ROFL!!!!

True? Really? I have done power trails, my record is 567 caches in one day and I have done some pretty intense 8-12 hr hikes with 3-4000+ feet elevatin gain and I find the power trail more physically exhausting than the hikes.

My actual complaint against P&Gs has little to do with physical exertion, as how much a person sweats is an inconsistent way, for me, to measure the quality of a hide, as defined by my wholly subjective standards. A better measurement would be the amount of adventure present, or the amount of creativity involved in the hide. Sometimes both of these qualities are found in a single cache. With the power trails you drool over, neither quality is present.

Like you, I have also done a power trail.

It was the most tedious 36 finds of my life.

The utter void of mental / physical stimulation left me gasping for an ammo can.

For those who can spend all day with no creative input, power trails could be a great thing...

Very few ammo can hides could be called creative but I love them all.

I can only assume you've focused your hunts on P&G ammo cans.

When you were in the ONF cranking up your numbers, you could've taken a stroll down Mormon Creek, where roughly 8 hours of extreme bushwhacking will net you half a dozen finds. Or, you could've spent 3 or 4 days bushwhacking through the Coexist series, which will net you 60 finds. I've done both. Gobs of creativity to be had.

As long as your only focus is on increasing your find count, with no thought to quality, you have to exclude anything which isn't a copy/paste P&G. At that point, it really doesn't matter what kind of containers are at ground zero. You opted to do power trails in Ocala. Power trails and creativity don't go well together.

You make incorrect assumptions. We have never been nor will be purely " numbers " cachers ( if our finds are high, and I'm not sure they are as I don't check the numbers of others, its because we've traveled and cached a lot over the last 10 years). The only caches I leave off my PQ's are Multi's and Puzzles because we don't care for them.....otherwise I download an area where I'll be and take them as they come. I had very limited time in Ocala and wanted to hike the Yearling Trail because I like the movie.....this we did and also grabbed others in the area which turned out to be a sort of ammo can mini PT. They were all fine hides and secluded searches in a great forest atmosphere.We also had a nice visit with a nice geocaching couple who man the ranger station part time. If you feel because we found a hat full of caches along the way ( we're geocachers by the way) that this somehow cheapened our experience you couldn't be more wrong.

Regarding long hikes to caches its our favorite thing to do and I'm sure Mormon Creek is nice....if you get to Clark Creek Nature Trail in Ms make a cache run and let me know how that works out for you....or one hot day park at the "Cemetery" and walk to the back of the " crack " in Mono Lake, California ( I got 1 F and 1 DNF )

The problems with some in the forums is they have a very narrow view regarding geocaching and can't comprehend that someone else might enjoy almost ALL caches....that someone might like long hikes to ammo cans and an occasional numbers run.

To get back to my statement that few ammo cans are creative hides.....I've found a ton of them and 95%+ are hidden under a pile of sticks or stuck in a hollow tree or log. Their size makes hiding them difficult.....some that were creative were hoisted up a tree, disguised as a rock, hidden in a sculpted out log, and a few others that were uniquely hidden in urban settings.

Make no mistake, they are my favorite container but its very unusual for the hide itself to be creative.

Well, the first ever cache I placed eventually went missing, and I was struggling to get down to maintain it, I wasn't even using this site much tbh, I was going to archive it, but one of the people who had previously found it wanted to adopt it, it was one of my favourite caches and I had no problem in letting him adopt it, he knew exactly where the location was, he's maintained it ever since, and now I've managed to get back to geocaching I've set up some others, and despite my old cache being premium now and me still being basic, I still stop by if I'm in the area just to check up on it.

Caches shouldn't be placed just to boost your numbers, if you can't maintain them yourself then you should either get someone to adopt them, or archive them, not just post asking people to replace them for you.

Keep in mind that I've never done a numbers run, but based on conversations with people who have done numbers runs (both with and without modern numbers run trails like the ET Highway trail or the Route 66 trail):
  • numbers (you get a lot of finds in a relatively short amount of time)
  • the experience of planning the numbers run (although modern numbers run trails simplify a lot of the planning)
  • the experience of optimizing your process for finding a lot of caches quickly
  • the camaraderie of doing the above with the others on your team (unless it's a solo numbers run, of course)

</offtopic>

[edit: fix typo]

Edited by niraD

I'd agree with that but whatever you and I might think it does seem to be considered fair game to delete the logs of people who haven't found the cache, and if they found a throwdown they didn't find the cache. Especially if the throwdown is an easy find and the cache is difficult.

I don't see the need to delete anyone's log. Just let them know they found the throwdown and not the original cache and invite them to come back and find the real (and presumably better) cache and sign the log. Heck, I would even let them log a second find if they did that - but that's just me.

I think this all comes back to view the smiley as a score or reward. If you view the online find as just a way to relate your experience, then a cacher whe found the throwdown and was unaware this was not the original cache would be recording their experience. You might make an argument that if you know it was the throwdown and not the original cache - or if you leave a throwdown - you shouldn't log a find. And perhaps the cache owner should be allowed to consider such logs bogus and delete them. But I'd think that someone who finds a cache and doesn't know if they found a throwdown or a legitimate replacement shouldn't have their log deleted. And cache owners who wish to allow found logs on the throwdowns should be allowed to do that.

Lulilac (Nooblilac)

First of all not all power trails are the same .....the one thing they all have in common is caches that are relatively close together.....on the face of it more caches to look for .

I've only done one trail complete and parts of others....... we'll look at what you might see in the field.

1.Flat road through cut-over timber where every cache is stuck to a sign and logging trucks pass regularly and blow your doors off. I might grab a few and move on but that's me.

2. Route 66 = I love the desolate road, I love Route 66 , I love the dessert, and I wanted to set a new one day find count for us. Really enjoyed it but I'm not sure if I would do more.

3. Along Yazoo River in Vicksburg, Ms : forest south of Tuscaloosa, AL ( and others ) = gravel road through remote forested area....secluded caching where you might not see one car all day. Caches are in the woods and are varied between reg, small, and micro and hiding techniques vary as well. Folks, this is caching at its very best and anyone who wouldn't enjoy doing these really should consider another hobby.

Make no mistake, they are my favorite container but its very unusual for the hide itself to be creative.

I think there is more than one aspect of a hide where creativity can be lacking. We'll start with the aspect you are focusing on; the hide style. Of that debate you'll get little argument from me. Without a significant expenditure of effort and money, there really isn't much you can do with the venerable ammo can besides cover it so muggles won't notice it. Branches, rocks, ground litter. All make fairly decent concealment. But it could be argued that, as a hide style, covering them with the aforementioned bits of Momma Nature lacks creativity.

On an ammo can power trail, even this much is usually not done, as folks might have to spend a few extra seconds actually looking for the cache. For those who stick to power trails, I would opine that looking for creativity is a wasted effort.

Other aspects of a cache creation include the title, the cache write up, the location and the container selection. The latter draws from a fairly limited field, as there are only a dozen or so containers out there which have stood the test of time in multiple environments. Some folks think creative container selection opens the field up for lower quality containers, and I suppose, that could be true. But doing so leads to soggy, moldy logs, which we should all strive to avoid. Film cans certainly qualify as less than quality containers.

Though film cans do offer one thing ammo cans do not; a tiny container which is readily adaptable for anyone capable of even a hint of creativity. Because of their size, there is a lot you can do with them. Sadly, those who hide them have yet to figure this out. If covering a cache with forest debris qualifies as a lack of creativity, then I would say ammo cans still hold the high ground for creative hide techniques, since covering them with natural material trumps plopping them in the base of a stop sign, tossing them in a hedge or stuffing them in a guardrail. I noticed that folks who use quality micro containers are far more likely to nclude a bit of creativity in their hide.

Maybe film cans kill brain cells? :unsure:

So, what does that leave?

My favorite application of creativity involves location selection. I recently expended roughly 50 hours of scouting through a nearby natural area, over several days, finding a couple way kewl trees for upcoming hides. It's been my experience that someone who spends the $$$ on purchasing and stocking an ammo can won't simply toss it under the first hedge they come across. Rather, they will take the time to find a nice spot for it. Looking at my most recent film can finds, it seems the only location qualifier utilized is that there are no other film cans within 529'. It takes quite a bit of creativity to find a neat tree. It takes absolutely no creativity to find a Burger King hedge, a street sign, a dumpster or a guardrail.

My next favorite aspect of cache creation is the write up. I am, by nature, a story teller. I love reading well done cache pages, regardless of the size of the attached cache. As a story teller, I also thoroughly enjoy writing cache pages. Once again I have to revert to my personal observations. Typically, the person who invests in an ammo can will take the time to profer a nice write up, giving, if nothing else, what it was about that spot that compelled them to hide a cache there. With film can hiders, I find that they often use less words than are found tattooed on Rosie O'Donnell's backside. Typical is something to the effect of, "I found a spot with no caches, so I placed one". The lack of creativity can be mind numbing.

Granted, with a power trail, as with most geo-art, you won't find any creativity in the write up or title, no matter what the container is. The only difference betwixt "Lame Power Trail # 242" and "Lame Power Trail # 684" is the numeric and the coordinates. Everything else is copy/paste. Where ammo cans trump film cans with regards to power trails is that the folks who hide power trails use film cans far more often than ammo cans.

Lulilac (Nooblilac)

For those who prefer quantity over quality, a trait I have come to recognize, though I don't yet understand it, and can handle the mind numbing tedium of hopping out of a car every 529' to scribble a note on a film can log, power trails are Nirvana. No need for creativity. Other than the strain of extended repetition, there is no need for effort, either physical or mental. Just smilies. Lots and lots of smilies. <_<

While setting a record on a power trail is not my idea of fun, I can only wonder why you continue to write that it is not physically or mentally demanding. Try this. Sit in your chair, jump and run back and forth down the hall and then sit back into your chair. Do this every 40 seconds for the next 24 hours. I'm betting that you would be physically and mentally exhausted by this time tomorrow.

I think there is more than one aspect of a hide where creativity can be lacking. We'll start with the aspect you are focusing on; the hide style. Of that debate you'll get little argument from me. Without a significant expenditure of effort and money, there really isn't much you can do with the venerable ammo can besides cover it so muggles won't notice it. Branches, rocks, ground litter. All make fairly decent concealment. But it could be argued that, as a hide style, covering them with the aforementioned bits of Momma Nature lacks creativity.

On an ammo can power trail, even this much is usually not done, as folks might have to spend a few extra seconds actually looking for the cache. For those who stick to power trails, I would opine that looking for creativity is a wasted effort.

Other aspects of a cache creation include the title, the cache write up, the location and the container selection. The latter draws from a fairly limited field, as there are only a dozen or so containers out there which have stood the test of time in multiple environments. Some folks think creative container selection opens the field up for lower quality containers, and I suppose, that could be true. But doing so leads to soggy, moldy logs, which we should all strive to avoid. Film cans certainly qualify as less than quality containers.

Though film cans do offer one thing ammo cans do not; a tiny container which is readily adaptable for anyone capable of even a hint of creativity. Because of their size, there is a lot you can do with them. Sadly, those who hide them have yet to figure this out. If covering a cache with forest debris qualifies as a lack of creativity, then I would say ammo cans still hold the high ground for creative hide techniques, since covering them with natural material trumps plopping them in the base of a stop sign, tossing them in a hedge or stuffing them in a guardrail. I noticed that folks who use quality micro containers are far more likely to nclude a bit of creativity in their hide.

So, what does that leave?

My favorite application of creativity involves location selection. I recently expended roughly 50 hours of scouting through a nearby natural area, over several days, finding a couple way kewl trees for upcoming hides. It's been my experience that someone who spends the $$$ on purchasing and stocking an ammo can won't simply toss it under the first hedge they come across. Rather, they will take the time to find a nice spot for it. Looking at my most recent film can finds, it seems the only location qualifier utilized is that there are no other film cans within 529'. It takes quite a bit of creativity to find a neat tree. It takes absolutely no creativity to find a Burger King hedge, a street sign, a dumpster or a guardrail.

My next favorite aspect of cache creation is the write up. I am, by nature, a story teller. I love reading well done cache pages, regardless of the size of the attached cache. As a story teller, I also thoroughly enjoy writing cache pages. Once again I have to revert to my personal observations. Typically, the person who invests in an ammo can will take the time to profer a nice write up, giving, if nothing else, what it was about that spot that compelled them to hide a cache there. With film can hiders, I find that they often use less words than are found tattooed on Rosie O'Donnell's backside. Typical is something to the effect of, "I found a spot with no caches, so I placed one". The lack of creativity can be mind numbing.

Granted, with a power trail, as with most geo-art, you won't find any creativity in the write up or title, no matter what the container is. The only difference betwixt "Lame Power Trail # 242" and "Lame Power Trail # 684" is the numeric and the coordinates. Everything else is copy/paste. Where ammo cans trump film cans with regards to power trails is that the folks who hide power trails use film cans far more often than ammo cans.

I agree...well written and good thoughts.

My comments re creativity were related to hiding techniques at GZ.

Lulilac (Nooblilac)

While setting a record on a power trail is not my idea of fun, I can only wonder why you continue to write that it is not physically or mentally demanding. Try this. Sit in your chair, jump and run back and forth down the hall and then sit back into your chair. Do this every 40 seconds for the next 24 hours. I'm betting that you would be physically and mentally exhausted by this time tomorrow.

I think a better description would be for me to get out of my chair, walk five feet, throw a film can, and return to my chair. I'd start by doing this every 40 seconds, then, as I grew bored, change the timing to every 80 seconds, then every 120 seconds, then every 160 seconds, etc, to stimulate driving past film cans I didn't feel like finding, but will still log as found.

Assuming I'm simulating doing a power run solo, I would certainly feel weary by the end of 24 hours, but I doubt I would be either physically or mentally exhausted. My first 18 years as a deputy was on nights, from 1800 to 0600 hours, two days on, two days off, etc. I would generally wake up around 1500 hours to get ready for work. My first day off, I would stay up till about 2200 hours. So, about 30 hours awake. I would wake up at about 0700 the next day, and stay up till about 0800 hours the following day. So, about 25 hours. This went on for almost two decades.

I have since moved to day shift. :)

My point is, staying awake and being active for 24 hours is something I am used to.

If we change the scenario to replicate being part of a group, I would still be staying awake 24 hours, but I would have to divide the amount of time I spent getting into and out of my chair by two, three or even four. This wouldn't exactly leave m physically and/or mentally exhausted.

Lulilac (Nooblilac)

For those who prefer quantity over quality, a trait I have come to recognize, though I don't yet understand it, and can handle the mind numbing tedium of hopping out of a car every 529' to scribble a note on a film can log, power trails are Nirvana. No need for creativity. Other than the strain of extended repetition, there is no need for effort, either physical or mental. Just smilies. Lots and lots of smilies. dry.gif

Matter of symantecs perhaps. Demanding: calling for intensive effort or attention. I would classify a PT trail like Route 66 as taxing, wearing, straining and exhausting. There's not a lot of demand in terms of mental or physical attention with the repetitive motions of getting out to the car, picking up the film canister behind the bush, signing it, putting it back, return to the car and repeat.

Hmm... I thought film cans killed puppies. Or was it kittens? Angels? Fairies?

Anyway, it was something cute and cuddly like that, not brain cells.

Get it straight niraD. Film cans kill brain cells. Because of their tiny brains, hamsters are usually the first to go. Then kittens, puppies, fairies, etc, etc,,. :blink:

Lulilac (Nooblilac)

Make no mistake about it its physically exhausting.....when its 110 deg in the shade and there is no shade it ups the ante even more. We took one break....other than that I put a stop watch on it and went at it for about 6 hours. Again, I enjoyed doing it after reading so much about the various challenges and wanted to see what it was like but I doubt I'd do anymore " timed " caching.

I don't get the whole throw down thing.. A lot of times it seems the owner is no longer an active cacher or they don't get on frequently.

That's where the Needs Archived and Need's Maintenance come in handy. The way I see it is if I am finding a throw down I am not finding the cache that the owner intended me to find.

I suppose there are exceptions for things like power trails or lpc's where they aren't a real geocaching experience. However when the owner has the cache listed as a Regular or Large and you see a film canister in place, then obviously that needs some sort of attention.

I don't get the whole throw down thing.. A lot of times it seems the owner is no longer an active cacher or they don't get on frequently.

That's where the Needs Archived and Need's Maintenance come in handy. The way I see it is if I am finding a throw down I am not finding the cache that the owner intended me to find.

I suppose there are exceptions for things like power trails or lpc's where they aren't a real geocaching experience. However when the owner has the cache listed as a Regular or Large and you see a film canister in place, then obviously that needs some sort of attention.

Perfectly stated. Thank you! +1

I was browsing for caches for an up coming canal boat holiday in the UK when I came across this note in the description for #1 GC3Z4Z0 of a series of 153.

"Once the current maintenance run has been completed. And all missing caches replaced with OFFICIAL LCT Caches ANY person/s setting a throw down WITHOUT my express permission WILL not only have their own log deleted but will be forcing the deletion of the logs of the next finders."

Sounds a bit harsh but I'm with him on this.

I was browsing for caches for an up coming canal boat holiday in the UK when I came across this note in the description for #1 GC3Z4Z0 of a series of 153.

"Once the current maintenance run has been completed. And all missing caches replaced with OFFICIAL LCT Caches ANY person/s setting a throw down WITHOUT my express permission WILL not only have their own log deleted but will be forcing the deletion of the logs of the next finders."

I'm down with that! I see I mentioned this on the first page, but as the great Jack White once said, "it bears repeating now" :ph34r: Here is the very first thing the so-called "Delaware Commision" tells you on the starting cache for their C&D power trail:

NOTE: there should NOT be any DNF's. Take a few spare micro containers and logs with you. If you find a cache is missing, just replace it (claiming a find) and move on--better for you and much less work for the Commission!

Any chance of them doing a 180, and adopting the language quoted for Official LCT caches? :lol:

Groundspeak's policy seems to indicate they generally will support the deletion of the "Found It" for the person who left the throwdown but not for future finders. Those other people might not be aware the throwdown isn't an owner-approved cache.

Still, I like the description's wording even if part of it might be unenforceable. It could serve as extra discouragement to throwdowns.

Edited by CanadianRockies