Cache Not On Website

djryudo

I've had this cache in my notes on my ipod for around 2 to 3 years now, and today I finally got back into Geocaching. So I went to find the cache, found it, came home to log it, and it's no longer on the website. Few things I want to know.

What are the usual reasons for this happening, and, if I'm able to, can I adopt the cache if it's considered abandoned? If so, how can I go about adopting it? By just telling the website I'm putting a "new" one in the same place? Thanks. :)

Also, this is the only info I had down for it:

Michael and Mattie (Last found: Apr. 6th) | Diff 1 | Terr 1 | Size 1 (Micro)

Off of Main St., of course. This one should be pretty easy. Please use some stealth as you are standing in front of a hotel and don't want the guests to think you are a peeping tom.

No coordinates since I do not have a GPS. I just go to an area and look in the area. Hahaha

Edit: Actually, decided to use Google. :P Lat: 30.406165 Long: -87.213743 is as close as I could get it. Also I do not have Premium.

Edited by djryudo

GC2E0H5 was archived voluntarily by its owner, who apparently never removed the container. You can go to that GC Code and log your find if you wish.

Archived caches do not show up in search results unless you know someone who hid or found that cache, so that you'll see it when browsing their cache history.

Caches can be archived voluntarily by the owner or by the website administrators or volunteers if the cache violates a listing guideline. The most common reason for archival by the website is inattention to maintenance needs.

Archived cache listings cannot be adopted, nor may they be unarchived for purposes of facilitating an adoption. See the Help Center article about cache adoptions.

Edited by Keystone

I've had this cache in my notes on my ipod for around 2 to 3 years now, and today I finally got back into Geocaching. So I went to find the cache, found it, came home to log it, and it's no longer on the website. Few things I want to know.

What are the usual reasons for this happening, and, if I'm able to, can I adopt the cache if it's considered abandoned? If so, how can I go about adopting it? By just telling the website I'm putting a "new" one in the same place? Thanks. :)

Also, this is the only info I had down for it:

Michael and Mattie (Last found: Apr. 6th) | Diff 1 | Terr 1 | Size 1 (Micro)

Off of Main St., of course. This one should be pretty easy. Please use some stealth as you are standing in front of a hotel and don't want the guests to think you are a peeping tom.

No coordinates since I do not have a GPS. I just go to an area and look in the area. Hahaha

Edit: Actually, decided to use Google. :P Lat: 30.406165 Long: -87.213743 is as close as I could get it. Also I do not have Premium.

Be sure you read and understand the guidelines about hiding a cache.

One reason a cache may be archived is the Cache Owner didn't have permission to place it, so it caused problems at the location. If so, placing a new cache is not a good plan.

If the Cache Owner can't maintain the cache anymore, and you can contact them, there's an adoption process. You may contact them anyway and find out what the problem was. Just in case.

If the cache has been archived, you may place a new one, but the current guidelines apply.

Edited by kunarion

GC2E0H5 was archived voluntarily by its owner, who apparently never removed the container. You can go to that GC Code and log your find if you wish.

Archived caches do not show up in search results unless you know someone who hid or found that cache, so that you'll see it when browsing their cache history.

Caches can be archived voluntarily by the owner or by the website administrators or volunteers if the cache violates a listing guideline. The most common reason for archival by the website is inattention to maintenance needs.

Archived cache listings cannot be adopted, nor may they be unarchived for purposes of facilitating an adoption. See the Help Center article about cache adoptions.

Thank you so much for the info! :D Was overly curious about it.

Thank you so much for the info! :D Was overly curious about it.

That's pretty cool that it endured for two years with no maintenance. You know it's a spot where it doesn't immediately get discovered by non-cachers. So it's got that going for it! :anicute:

Edited by kunarion

Doesn't sound like a good cache to resurrect....

• This one should be pretty easy. Please use some stealth as you are standing in front of a hotel and don't want the guests to think you are a peeping tom.
  • Too many muggles wandering about (secret rendevouz at the hotel?) to use a flashlight without attracting attention., so this was night caching at its most basic.
  • Had a manager come over to ask what we were doing and explained we were geocaching.
  • These hides can be tough, especially "trying" to be stealthy.
  • ...when we arrived we saw the manager wearing a blue shirt, he came and asked what we were doing
  • Didn't find either...felt kind of uncomfortable being there. Maybe if we knew that the property owners has given his/her blessing....

I had the same thing happen. I went to look for a cache that I had loaded onto the gps months before. I expected it to be easy but I couldn't find it anywhere. After searching the obvious areas I got down on my hands and knees and miraculously found the cache, which was one of those super small nano containers. Somehow even after rolling down a hill, and being out the entire winter, everything was in great shape.

When I got home to log it, it had been archived for over six months. I notified the owner and everything but I guess based on past issues with the cache he decided not to reactivate it. It's actually one of my most satisfying finds. I call it "The Cache That Wasn't There" GC1GPYP

Edited by Vandyvan

Doesn't sound like a good cache to resurrect....

• This one should be pretty easy. Please use some stealth as you are standing in front of a hotel and don't want the guests to think you are a peeping tom.
  • Too many muggles wandering about (secret rendevouz at the hotel?) to use a flashlight without attracting attention., so this was night caching at its most basic.
  • Had a manager come over to ask what we were doing and explained we were geocaching.
  • These hides can be tough, especially "trying" to be stealthy.
  • ...when we arrived we saw the manager wearing a blue shirt, he came and asked what we were doing
  • Didn't find either...felt kind of uncomfortable being there. Maybe if we knew that the property owners has given his/her blessing....

Yeah, I read those too. If I were to resurrect it, the first thing I would do would be to talk to a owner/manager/whatever. It actually wasn't a hotel (at least not anymore?), and there were quite a bit of muggles, but that's why you have to know how to stealth. :P I was able to find it with my little sister without really being looked at.

Thanks for the posts, everyone! I've always figured that the Geocaching community would be awesome. DFTBA

Consider this: If you found an archived cache that the owner hasn't picked up, you've got yourself a "new" container with which to place your own new cache (Same location or not). IF you're going to resurrect it, I'd put a fresh log sheet in it since it will technically be a new cache.

Consider this: If you found an archived cache that the owner hasn't picked up, you've got yourself a "new" container with which to place your own new cache (Same location or not). IF you're going to resurrect it, I'd put a fresh log sheet in it since it will technically be a new cache.

I'm a bit overly nice. Hahaha I already contacted the original owner and asked if they abandoned it. I said I was giving them 3 months to respond.