Clarification on marking missing TBs

teambaconpancakes

I need some clarification on something. When you mark your own trackable as "missing", does it just get removed from displaying as in the inventory of the cache, or does it completely disappear?

Like I explained in my other thread, my trackable disappeared from my own cache (I am the owner of both the cache and TB) and has never been logged. I went ahead and marked it as "missing" just so it would stop displaying on the cache page and other cachers would stop hunting for the cache thinking there was a TB in it. My hope is that eventually the person who took it will log it and it will magically appear in the geocaching world again.

However, in this thread some people are saying that once you mark a TB as missing, it completely disappears -- so the person who took is won't be able to log it even if they wanted to eventually. Is this true?

What's the best way to make sure your cache no longer lists any TB in it's inventory (so as not to frustrate other people when they come looking for it and it's not there) but still keep the TB accessible to the person to actually has it but hasn't logged it yet?

Thanks!

However, in this thread some people are saying that once you mark a TB as missing, it completely disappears -- so the person who took is won't be able to log it even if they wanted to eventually. Is this true?

Actually, that is not what that thread says.

You are reading too much into it. Marking a trackable as "Missing" DOES NOT remove it from play. It merely removes it from the inventory of wherever it is so listed.

It can still be "Grabbed from..." and is immediately available for logging.

The problem that arises is that many (quite a few) of folks are TOTALLY UNAWARE of what happened, should a trackable in their possession be marked as "Missing" because it is jerked from their inventory. They do not receive any email or other notification of that fact.

Later.... when they go to log it as "Placed" -- they still have it in-hand, remember? -- they cannot because it is not in their inventory to do so. You cannot log as "Placed" something that you do not have in your inventory. It needs to be "Grabbed from...." first, to return it to their inventory.

Sure, they question what happened, but because they are unaware of it now being listed as "Missing" (they don't think to look at that), they don't know what to do about it.

Sometimes they come to the forums and post a question... oftentimes, they simply forget about it and don't sweat it -- THAT is the problem.

Now, should a moderator see that you posted the same question in the other linked thread, you should expect this one to be merged.

Like I explained in my other thread, my trackable disappeared from my own cache (I am the owner of both the cache and TB) and has never been logged. I went ahead and marked it as "missing" just so it would stop displaying on the cache page and other cachers would stop hunting for the cache thinking there was a TB in it. My hope is that eventually the person who took it will log it and it will magically appear in the geocaching world again.

Yep. This is exactly what should be done, including the hoping part.