What do favorite points give the CO

Not necessarily anything. It all depends what is behind the FP. I know a cacher that gives every cache they are FTF on a favorite point. Another gives a point to the very next cache they find after earining it. Personally, I award them for various reasons. It may be because I am impressed with the cache, I like the location, or there was something about the find that was memorable or important to me.

Mostly the FPs help other finders locate caches that are likely to be a rewarding experience. Helps separate the wheat from the chaff.

But as a CO getting an FP makes me happy. It's rewarding and motivational. More then a couple FPs confirms I've provided folks with a creative or pleasant experience that's above average.

It gives me a big head. Don't give my caches favorite points, my wife says they make me difficult to live with. I walk around the house in my King Cache crown and robe and give orders and when I go to events I refer to other geocachers as "my people". It's created a monster.

I know a cacher that gives every cache they are FTF on a favorite point. Another gives a point to the very next cache they find after earning it.

Yes, a fair amount of people do this. Why? The happy-dance feeling of being FTF can not happen for consecutive finders, so why recommend it because you were in FTF nirvana when you found it? And giving a crappy cache a FP just because it was your 11th find makes no sense for either the person rewarding the FP or as a recommendation to other cachers.

Definition of Favorite [help center]: The one thing you can say for certain is that the overall quality of the cache is likely to be above average....the point of Favorites is to recommend great caching experiences to others

It gives me a big head. Don't give my caches favorite points, my wife says they make me difficult to live with. I walk around the house in my King Cache crown and robe and give orders and when I go to events I refer to other geocachers as "my people". It's created a monster.

That doesn't seem to have changed since favorite points became available...

You too?

I thought it was just me...

;)

Definition of Favorite [help center]: The one thing you can say for certain is that the overall quality of the cache is likely to be above average....the point of Favorites is to recommend great caching experiences to others

That's one of the issues that comes along with the favourite concept. As the name favourites says it should be about which caches I enjoyed the most and not about those I might want to recommend to others. The quality of a cache has a relatively small influence on whether or not I will enjoy it.

When my caches receive FPs, I interpret in the sense that the logger enjoyed the cache and not as a recommendation for others. Take e.g. my newest cache. The three finders definitely enjoyed it and I have hidden it exactly for this target audience. Neither the three finders nor myself would recommend that cache to the general audience of geocachers.

Another example: I appreciate hikes that contain some parts along logging roads as this reduces the stress for my knee and allows me to enjoy the hike more than if I suffer from pains already early on. I would not recommend such caches however to the group of cachers without any physical restrictions.

If I were PM, I would not hesitate to award a FP to a multi cache that invites for a scenic hike with a wet container and a mouldy log book at the end as I do not care at all about the container, but only about the hike and my own experience which would not be better if the container were well maintained. I would not recommend such a cache however to the majority of my fellow cachers.

There is a huge difference in my case between my favourites and my recommendations for others. Personally, when looking through the lists of favourites of cachers that I know share my preferences I prefer by far if their favourites are really their favourites and not their recommendation to the majority group.

Cezanne

Edited by cezanne

I know that assigning favorite point to a cache would most likely bring more people to that cache but does it give the CO something like a reward?

Just wondering.

No actual reward. I'd still to go outside, dance around naked, and spike a football each time I received one.