Etrex 20/30 choices

I use ANT+ to download the routes prepared by the team leader on site and for registering temperature in the track by external Tempe sensor.

With in built barometer it serves to predict weather.

From my point of view it is worth to have abovementioned features.

Barometer makes the greatest difference for me.

Not caring about the compass. I have been using GPS without them for so long that I prefer the heading and map not to jump when rotating the device. 3.x firmware finally filters heading calculations correctly so that the heading won't jump during slow bushwhacking too - this was previously a problem.

And before I start I do not want to start the compass/no compass discussion once more.

I own a Etrex Hc and an Etrex30.

Using the Etrex Hc I eventually got tired of doing the 'bumble bee' dance when in the vicinity of a cache (so as to keep the pointer aiming at the cache/coordinates), so I eventually left the compass feature permanently On.

When looking at the Etrex20/30 upgrade I decided that the compass was and is a must(for me).

I waited for the initial compass software problems to be rectified, which they now are.

Then came the wait of spotting a unit at a good price, either direct from a retailer or an auction site (an auction site it was).

Never had a problem and am very happy with the Etrex 30.

Always amused with my friends who have an Etrex 20 and are doing the 'bumble bee' dance near a difficult to find cache.

For the price of a few extra beers, in my opinion go for the Etrex 30 every time.

So what does the wireless transmission do? SO far, I've never had to use it.

I bought an eTrex 30 specifically for ANT+. It's biggest benefit is beaming caches to / from other members of our caching group. Saves time entering "next coordinates" when group caching.

I also use it with my Tempē sensor to get temperature readings on my device (handy in backcountry trips) and I use it with my heartrate monitor. The eTrex 20 can't do any of that.

So what does the wireless transmission do? SO far, I've never had to use it.

It lets you share data from one unit to another in the field. So, for example, your wife forgot to load a cache while you're both out, you can send her the coordinates rather than enter them in manually.

I have to say that I agree with LondonTavern's sentiments about the compass. It's quite useful, allowing you to get your bearing without having to actually be moving. But if you don't want to pay an extra $100 for it, perhaps look around for an Oregon 450/t. They've been on sale recently for the same cost of an eTrex 20.

I have the eTrex 20 and am very happy with it overall, but now wish I had spent the extra money on the eTrex 30.

As I get to know more of the local cachers, I've found myself in the situation of being out with others and either I don't have the cache(s) on my GPS or I do and they don't.

As I look for more challenging caches, I end up in situations where the 'bumble bee' dance occurs quite often, especially when I need to stop moving in order to find a way around a water hazard, etc.

It seems as soon as I stop moving, the pointer on the geocaching dashboard and the line on the screen point in a direction other than where I need to go.

So, for example, your wife forgot to load a cache while you're both out, you can send her the coordinates rather than enter them in manually.

Oh sure... take away the one bit of power I have left! lol

perhaps look around for an Oregon 450/t.

No thank you! I've already gone through two of those units and returned them both. I had better accuracy and reception with my Dakota 20.