Another completion code error

brcross95

I used the Ranger kit builder. I don't remember having to select it as an option for the first 2 wherigos I have done.

Per the kit:

Unlocking Cartridges

Cartridges are automatically unlocked for players when they reach the last zone and see all messages and answer all questions. The unlock code will be shown automatically.

I am able to progress through each stage of the Wherigo but the final stage doesn't show a completion code. Here is a link to my Wherigo cartridge. My link

Hi brcross95,

- which builder?

- how do you currently show the completion code (or do you expect it to work automatically)?

Edited by brcross95

I downloaded the cartridge's source from Kit and played through it using an emulator. When the player reaches the cache site, the last message to come up is one that says, "The cartridge is complete. You completion code is xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx. Make sure to write this down." This message displays immediately after the one you added. The part about "cartridges are automatically unlocked" refers to the save file. Users are able to upload the save file to unlock cartridges. In addition to this, Wherigo v1.1 Players are supposed to "listen" for this as part of their normal operation and perform some operations. More about Wherigo v1.1 will be discussed in the Project Foundation (code name) announcement towards the end of this month. This should solve 90% of the issues involving unlock codes, the other 10% being the author doesn't allow a cartridge to be unlocked.

One of the features I want to add to Kit is a completion code item that shows up in the player's inventory once the cartridge is complete. I plan to update Kit later this evening to add Swedish localization. If I have time, I will add this to the release. I also need to allow users to define their zones' dimensions, but that might have to wait for another release.

Thanks Ranger. I was told it wouldn't show up when I ran my own cartridge on my GPS to test it. Thanks for checking it for me!

I downloaded the cartridge's source from Kit and played through it using an emulator. When the player reaches the cache site, the last message to come up is one that says, "The cartridge is complete. You completion code is xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx. Make sure to write this down." This message displays immediately after the one you added. The part about "cartridges are automatically unlocked" refers to the save file. Users are able to upload the save file to unlock cartridges. In addition to this, Wherigo v1.1 Players are supposed to "listen" for this as part of their normal operation and perform some operations. More about Wherigo v1.1 will be discussed in the Project Foundation (code name) announcement towards the end of this month. This should solve 90% of the issues involving unlock codes, the other 10% being the author doesn't allow a cartridge to be unlocked.

One of the features I want to add to Kit is a completion code item that shows up in the player's inventory once the cartridge is complete. I plan to update Kit later this evening to add Swedish localization. If I have time, I will add this to the release. I also need to allow users to define their zones' dimensions, but that might have to wait for another release.

Nobody has been able to get the completion code at the end of the Wherigo, including myself. Not sure why.

I was able to get the completion code to work after making some changes to my cartridge and saving them. I edited the final point and saved the file. During my test, I was able to get the message with a completion code and it showed up in my final inventory. Hopefully the next user will get the completion code. Thanks!

I'm hesitant to include code in Kit to fix this sort of issue because, if the Wherigo Foundation site ever uses a completion code of more than fifteen characters, all the current cartridges that truncate the completion code at fifteen characters will now have a problem. Legacy code is fun.

The completion code will start taking a back seat with the new Wherigo Foundation player app. The app itself should unlock the cartridge without your having to do anything. Until Wherigo v2.0, the site will still support completion codes, and I won't take the completion codes away until we have a quality Wherigo player app. If the completion codes are abused, I'll remove them from the site.